Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Tire Pressure Monitor-sorry but I have to---

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  OldnInTheWoods 
#1 ·
Guys, I'm really sorry to open another in what has to be a gazillion threads related to this overall topic, but I can't help myself. Please bear with me.

I don't necessarily want to bypass the system, but I wouldn't mind being able to work within it. Here's my problem:

My dealership has told me that setting the tire pressures at the factory values won't work, that they must set them up around 38-40 psi. Well, I rarely run any load and with the rears, especially, set at those pressures the truck jumps all over the place.

Does anyone know anything about this? Why would the manual suggest "X" pressures and the system somehow force use of significantly higher pressures. I'm wearing the centers of my rear tires out!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

John

#2 ·
Whomever you spoke with at the dealer doesn't have a clue, instructions on how to reset the sensors to whatever pressure you wish to run is in the owners manual. Set the tires to have the pressure you want, reset, thats it.

JMO

#4 ·
Thanks a lot, guys! I'd thought what they'd been telling me made little sense, that the factory would set pressures at 29/30 and then set the TPMS to force use of 40! Also, I'd completely forgotten about the procedure being in the manual, so thanks too for remindimg me about that.

But, I've just re-set pressures and run the procedure, twice now. Each time the light remains on. :sad3d:

I wonder if this is what they're talking about, that somehow something in our local atmosphere (at the very center of the country, 800-1,000' elev) makes the system react strangely.

I see a notation in the manual which I think probably isn't a very good translation, it states "Initialization is completed over for more than 20 minute." That's verbatim.

Do you know whether that means I need to wait 20 min to start engine and test? I'd think not.

I am seeing the light blink three times, per manual.

Thoughts??

#5 ·
Check the pressure in the spare and then reset the tps the way the manual prescribes and the system will accept the pressures no matter what they are. I run 45 in the front and 42 in the rear w/o issue.

#6 ·
Well... I bypassed mine. I wasn't about to deal with it. I have different rims for winter/summer.

Good luck!

#7 ·
I GOT IT! Thanks to you guys and a Search I realized what that funky manual language referred to. I reset, left the ignition switch on for not quite 20 min and VOILA!!

Thanks to you guys. By the way, where I live, an area subject to road damage from frequent freeze/thaw/salt & other ice chemical treatments/snow plows which tear road repairs to pieces again and again, I could never run the pressures mentioned above. I'd look like a bug on a hot skillet, jump'n all over the place. It was bad enough at 40! In fact, it was way too hard on the suspension and related under-pinnings.

Thanks again!

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.