Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Overhead DVD system in Crewmax

24K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  FUNGUS 
#1 ·
Anyone put one in? If so, do you guys have pictures? I am running into problems with the long center console on the roof. I need a smaller one and hoping I can get one ASAP to take care of this. How did you guys work this out? SOMEONE HELP ME!! LOL.....

#8 ·
No DIY yet.... If there is that much interest... maybe. I know, I'm a slacker. I said I would have these days ago.... Here they are, if there are any questions, fire them at me. Again, this is the invision system that came with 2 sets of wireless headphones and a remote control. It was not bad to install......

It sure made the trip pleasant. My 4 year old watched about 1 movie a day for 6 days and was content. I dont allow her to watch any more than that, but she enjoyed it none-the-less......

#12 ·
Holy crap..... and I thought my vision out the back sucked....
Ahhhh grasshopper..The monitor will never be in the down position while driving. It is strictly for use as shows. :)

man i want to do one of these setups also but i'm so nervous.....how/where do you run the wires
Mine just connects to a video box, since I have 4 monitors at current. I will eventually have more. You just run the wires through the headliner, and down the side pillar.

#13 ·
That is exactly what I did with the wires for mine. They are run along the headliner and down the A pillar on the passenger side. The fm modulator is under the cupholders in the center console. I have never used the fm (other than to op-check it) because the system came with a pair of wireless headphones. It works perfectly and my daughter loves it! The hardest part of the install was holding up the monitor and getting the allen heads screwed in to hold it there.

#14 ·
That is exactly what I did with the wires for mine. They are run along the headliner and down the A pillar on the passenger side. The fm modulator is under the cupholders in the center console. I have never used the fm (other than to op-check it) because the system came with a pair of wireless headphones. It works perfectly and my daughter loves it! The hardest part of the install was holding up the monitor and getting the allen heads screwed in to hold it there.

Any drilling involved? If not, how did it mount to the ceiling?

#15 ·
There is a cross beam right behind the long console in the crewmax. In that beam there are 2 factory punched holes. You put rivnuts (nutserts) into them and then screw a mounting plate into that. Hardest part is cutting the headliner....

#18 ·
do you think i can install this without a fit kit? i dont care for the look of the kit anyways. Its not the same exact model you have FUNGUS but its an OEM part.

#19 ·
The fit kit is just like trim ring that goes around it from what I can tell. I am sure you can install it just like that if you have the mounting plate. It should be in the box and should come with some rivnuts. If you dont have a rivnut gun, just get a cheap-o one from harbor freight. You only need to put in 2 rivnuts to hold it in place. That is the EXACT same one that I have. Here are some installed pictures....

#20 ·
thanks for the reply FUNGUS. I think I will need to mount mine closer to the front of the truck being that I have a doublecab.

when you cut the hole to get the mounting plate was there room on the beam to move the DVD system up to the front of the cab more? Maybe the instructions will say where I need to mount it when it gets here. I got such a great deal on it I will not even say. :)

also do I need to run the wires down the pillar? cant I just tap the dome light power?

#21 ·
thanks for the reply FUNGUS. I think I will need to mount mine closer to the front of the truck being that I have a doublecab.

when you cut the hole to get the mounting plate was there room on the beam to move the DVD system up to the front of the cab more? Maybe the instructions will say where I need to mount it when it gets here. I got such a great deal on it I will not even say. :)

also do I need to run the wires down the pillar? cant I just tap the dome light power?
The only reason mine mounted there was because thats where the structural beam was. I am sure its in relatively the same place on the doublecab. The instructions will show you where to mount it. I ran the power to the cigarette lighter circuit, I didnt think the light wires for the overhead lighting could/would support the amperage to run the dvd combo. Just personal preference on that one. I got mine on ebay too, i think it was like 350 with fit kit. Let me know if you need any help!

#22 ·
The only reason mine mounted there was because thats where the structural beam was. I am sure its in relatively the same place on the doublecab. The instructions will show you where to mount it. I ran the power to the cigarette lighter circuit, I didnt think the light wires for the overhead lighting could/would support the amperage to run the dvd combo. Just personal preference on that one. I got mine on ebay too, i think it was like 350 with fit kit. Let me know if you need any help!

thanks man, I am going to see what the unit draws. I run all LEDS in the overhead. I bet that helps. I think it uses a 7.5 amp fuse. I bet the overhead unit uses maybe 4amps. Do you by chance remember if the overhead used a inline fuse. If so what size was it. :beavbutt:

I paid 120 shipped from a member. You got a great deal on it too. I see them on Ebay for 700+ :first:

#23 ·
hey FUNGUS by chance do you still have the instructions? I don't know where to start cutting the headliner for the DC. I would imagine its allot closer to the front than in a CM. I have the long overhead console like you have. It looks like I should have to be butted up to it almost.

I have the wiring down pat. I just don't know where to start cutting exactly. And what wire to the the dome light to come on manually. Automatic works strangely enough

#24 ·
Unfortunately I dont. The fit kit came with a template that fit around the overhead dome light hole and was a guide on where to cut. Maybe the sparks guys can help you or there may be a PDF of install instructions on their website.

#25 ·
Unfortunately I dont. The fit kit came with a template that fit around the overhead dome light hole and was a guide on where to cut. Maybe the sparks guys can help you or there may be a PDF of install instructions on their website.

thanks brotha

I just removed the overhead console . There is nothing up there to mount it to. Looks like I'm holding off for now. The alternative is to glue some plywood to the roof. But I dot trust glue on a roof that will get hot and cold many many times. Plus this unit is quality and pretty heavy to be bouncing up and down from some glue :-( ohh well I can always sell it.

#26 ·
Youre money. That picture is perfect. Look at the cross beam at the aft side of your opening. There should be two small holes in it. Those are for the nutserts. That is EXACTLY what mine looked like. I know this makes no sense now but it will. There is a metal plate that screws to the nutserts inside that crossmember. The overhead unit screws into that. I'll take it down this weekend and take some pictures for you if you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.