Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Front differential drain plug stripped

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Robbobbert1 
#1 ·
Front differential drain plug stripped.!!!!

Frustrating that Toyota used a 10mm Allen socket plug. Anyone know the part number for a new one and an idea for how to get the stripped one out?

#4 · (Edited)
Bringing this post back from the dead since I just went though this with my 2002. I'm posting this here in case anyone needs any ideas before taking it to a shop for extraction.

I fail to understand why Allen head plugs are used in the front diff case, the head is way too easy to strip if the plug is in there too tight. The fill plug came out easy enough, but when the drain plug starting giving me resistance, I immdiately soaked the area with PB blaster.

I destroyed a 3/8 ratchet when I put a snipe on it, and after that I tried a 1/4 impact driver. All that did was round out the 10mm head without budging the bolt. Anyhow, a buddy of mine lent me a snap on multispline extractor (I really need to pick up a set of these) and it worked like a charm. I will note that the drain plug was sitting with PB blaster on it for about 2 weeks before I got around to extracting it, so I'm assuming that helped.

I figured I should replace both the fill plug/crush washer and the drain plug/crush washer for the low low price of $50CDN (roughly $38USD) from the dealer. Ugh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.