Question Color match paint For Grille Surround & Bumper?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Color match paint For Grille Surround & Bumper?

Liked
    1 times

Default Color match paint For Grille Surround & Bumper?

So my 2010 has the typical chrome surround Grille and Chrome bumper, I want to make them color match the truck? do they take to paint easily and has anyone done this mod themselves and could give a few pointers?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    123 times
    Images

Default Re: Color match paint For Grille Surround & Bumper?

Lots of people have done this mod, if you search around you should be able to find a diy. FYI though sparks toyota which is a sponsor on this site sells painted surrounds and door handles. TRDSparks.com I believe is right. Ill look for a DIY link for you too.

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) & User Knowledgebase

DIY: "Paint your door handles to match" w/Pics

Didn't find exactly what you were looking for but again if you search around you will find something
    Last edited by MaylonTRD; 03-06-2010 at 05:00 AM. Reason: added links
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by MaylonTRD View Post
    Lots of people have done this mod, if you search around you should be able to find a diy. FYI though sparks toyota which is a sponsor on this site sells painted surrounds and door handles. TRDSparks.com I believe is right. Ill look for a DIY link for you too.

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) & User Knowledgebase

DIY: "Paint your door handles to match" w/Pics

Didn't find exactly what you were looking for but again if you search around you will find something
    Thanks man i will search, didn't quite know if people just bought replacements or had them painted or which was the cheapest way to go and still get quality, but i appreciate the info gonna hit the search hard now...not much else to do in the Sandbox

Liked
    15 times
    Images

the grille surrounds and door handles are limited on some of the colors...only come in certain colors. alot of people have had good luck with having a body shop prep and paint the surround as well as the bumpers. if its a black or white or red then powdercoating is the way to go...but for metallics etc ur gonna have to paint. i know thirdhorseman had a chrome bumpers on an SR5 done by a body shop and they looked great and held up well.

rattle cans, although the users will say they are just fine, are not fine. dont try to spray it yourself or you will wind up chipping etc over time. take to body shop and they can do it. just sand the chrome off the plastic or at least rough it enough and proper priming will hold well. same for the bumpers. can abrasive blast them or just sand the hellll out of them. good luck!!
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    0 times
    Images

07DCwhiteSR5 is right about powdercoating...you can check out my album and see that it turned out really nice on my bumper. It is cost-effective, holds up better than paint, and I get compliments on it all of the time.

Super happy with my choice to go that route!

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 007_Tundra View Post
    07DCwhiteSR5 is right about powdercoating...you can check out my album and see that it turned out really nice on my bumper. It is cost-effective, holds up better than paint, and I get compliments on it all of the time.

hey freak!! hows the bumper holding up? i think im taller than yours now, mine wont fit in the dntwn FW parking garage....PM me sometime
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by 007_Tundra View Post

i HAVE A 2010 PYRITE MICA COLORED TUNDRA AND WITH THE NFAB ACCESSORIES AND THE HEADLIGHT MOD AND BLACK CARRIAGE WORKS GRILLE I THINK THE CHROME JUST LOOKS OFF. IF POWDER COATING IS AN OPTION IN MY COLOR I DEFINETLEY THINK THAT THE WAY TO GO..

TRUCK LOOKS AWECOME MAN

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by 07DCwhiteSR5 View Post
    the grille surrounds and door handles are limited on some of the colors...only come in certain colors. alot of people have had good luck with having a body shop prep and paint the surround as well as the bumpers. if its a black or white or red then powdercoating is the way to go...but for metallics etc ur gonna have to paint. i know thirdhorseman had a chrome bumpers on an SR5 done by a body shop and they looked great and held up well.

rattle cans, although the users will say they are just fine, are not fine. dont try to spray it yourself or you will wind up chipping etc over time. take to body shop and they can do it. just sand the chrome off the plastic or at least rough it enough and proper priming will hold well. same for the bumpers. can abrasive blast them or just sand the hellll out of them. good luck!!

07DC thanks checked sparks but couldn't find any. and your right while seacrhing the forums i saw allot of people saying they used rattle cans, even some people got upset i think, when you said they were not a good fix! i completely agree i put to much money, time and pride into my trucks to use a temporary solution. now i am all for saving money as long as its still quality. will have to see if the guy doing my fender flares will be able to give me a quote on the grille surround and bumpers.
    thanks again