Code P2443 in my Tundra 07-- Please help!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Code P2443 in my Tundra 07-- Please help!

jic
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Code P2443 in my Tundra 07-- Please help!

I got a code p2443...My dealer wants $5000 to fix it! I understand it has to do with emission control...What are the consecuences of not fixing it? I got 63,000 miles....

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Code P2443 in my Tundra 07-- Please help!

hmmmmm first post.....A Troll ????

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

DESCRIPTION
    Refer to DTC P0412 .
    HINT:
    Air switching valve normal operation:
    When the Air Switching Valve (ASV) is open, exhaust gas pulsation occurs in the secondary air passage.
    Last Modified: 5-4-2007 1.6 C
    Service Category: Engine/Hybrid System Section: Engine Control
    Model Year: 2007 Model: Tundra Doc ID: RM0000013HC005X
    Title: 3UR-FE ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM: SFI SYSTEM: P2440: Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve
    Stuck Open Bank1 (2007 Tundra)
    DTC P2440 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open Bank1
    DTC P2441 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Close Bank1
    DTC P2442 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open Bank 2
    DTC P2443 Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Closed Bank 2
    DTC
    NO.
    DTC DETECTION CONDITION TROUBLE AREA
    P2440
    P2442
    Pressure sensor detects pulsation of exhaust gas despite ECM
    commanding Air Switching Valve (ASV) to close, while engine running
    (1 trip detection logic)
     ASV
     Open or short in ASV
    circuit
     Pressure sensor
     Pressure sensor circuit
     Air Injection Control
    Driver (AID)
     ECM
    P2441
    P2443
    Pressure sensor detects no pulsation of exhaust gas despite ECM
    commanding Air Switching Valve (ASV) to open, while engine running
    (2 trip detection logic)
     ASV
     Open or short in ASV
    circuit
     Vacuum hose (ASV -
    pressure sensor)
     Air injection hose
     Pressure sensor
     Pressure sensor circuit
     Air Injection Control
    Driver (AID)
     ECM

jic
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Can somebody translate that for me? I am not a mechanic, I am fairly ignorant but I know for $5000 they should give me a spare truck! The check engine light came back on...Thanks

jic
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Tun Dra;
    No, I am not a "troll"...I just need advice...All I need to know is if I must do the repairs...

WT
    Liked
    74 times
    Images

There has been a few reports I recall reading about that says if you reset it it may go away or may pop back up again and again or start to cause drivability issues. Some have had luck with gettign this covered under warranty but its a hit or miss thing with the dealer. So I am not sure if this is a more common problem starting to rear its ugly head. Calm before the storm perhaps. Search the board I am sure you find more posts about it something to do with the air injection pumps on the trucks from what I recall. Maybe we should start to all run to our local salvage yards and get these things as backup units. much cheaper than the 5000 repair costs I read about.

Supporter
    Liked
    4 times

I say, if it's gonna be a 5k repair bill, screw that, trade the damned thing in and get a new one. Sorry for the headache, but you may want to try a non dealership mechanic see what they will charge. I would drive my truck through the front glass windows for a 5k repair bill and tell them to shove the truck up thier arsss!!!!

But I tend to be a angry fella anyways.

But, seriously, goto a diffrent dealer and see if you can trade it in on a 10 model. Fixes all your problems.

good luck

chucky

and welcome to the forum, you will find lots of usefull stuff and people here.

Liked
    172 times
    Images

The air injection pump issue again. This is becoming a very common post here on TS. If you search you can find that some people have had the dealer fix the problem under warranty, others have tried cleaning the system themselves(under the right front fender), and some have just ignored it. There is a TSB on this issue. This is starting to become a bigger issue than just one or two people and is apparently a design flaw. It is an emissions problem and I am wondering if the feds know about how common this is?

Liked
    0 times

I have the same problem but my code is P2442. See comments in the other threads on this board. I have been resetting it myself with my OBDII meter and the truck drives fine again but then it comes back a few days or a week later. If you do not clear the codes then the truck runs on the default ECM settings which throws off the shifting and limits your top speed. I am currently downloading all of the repair docs and will be tearing out my air injection pumps soon to see if they can be cleaned easily. If I can't fix it myself then I am looking to get the dealer to do it under warranty. If they refuse and it costs me a lot of money then I will publish this on my website and all over town. There is absolutely no need for the parts to be so expensive, and the emissions warranty should cover it because this defect does make the emmissions worse. The sole reason for the system is to improve emmissions at startup.
    WileETundra

view all of my 2007 Tundra mod reports and photos

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wileetundra View Post
    I have the same problem but my code is P2442. See comments in the other threads on this board. I have been resetting it myself with my OBDII meter and the truck drives fine again but then it comes back a few days or a week later. If you do not clear the codes then the truck runs on the default ECM settings which throws off the shifting and limits your top speed. I am currently downloading all of the repair docs and will be tearing out my air injection pumps soon to see if they can be cleaned easily. If I can't fix it myself then I am looking to get the dealer to do it under warranty. If they refuse and it costs me a lot of money then I will publish this on my website and all over town. There is absolutely no need for the parts to be so expensive, and the emissions warranty should cover it because this defect does make the emmissions worse. The sole reason for the system is to improve emmissions at startup.
    I doubt people would be throwing such a hissy fit if the part were a few hundred max. however, toyota decided to screw us buy trying to reinvent the wheel (thanks to whoever said htat in one of hte other threads about the part). I agree wtih you Wilee, it should NOT be that expensive and it should be covered under warranty.

This part is something that is a failure in Toyota's designing part and I feel like we're getting the shaft - without KY.

-rockstate

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have the P2442 error as well and my '07 CM is permanently in limp mode. I have not been able to clear the error. Fortunately I have a small third vehicle that I have been driving for several weeks while I try to figure out how to avoid a $3k bill. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in so they can hook up their OBDII, charge me $95, to tell me that I have a P2442 error and will need the air injection pump changed. I agree with Morning Glory, I would have no problem if this came back as a couple hundred dollar repair, but the cost of this for a pump is mind boggling. Wileetundra, where are you getting the repair docs? Does it look like a difficult job to pull these pumps and try to clean or replace yourself? Anybody think we have a shot at a recall with a TSB out?

gone fishn, Mullet over DanMittaul's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Images

If I was you, since your out of warranty anyhow, I would disconnect the battery to "reset" everything and hope that its an electrical glitch or a hiccup in the pump(s) of some sort that goes away. I know its a long shot and a simplistic approach to the problem, but what the heck.

It makes no sense to me that Toyota would make such a delicate part, put it in a high profile heavy duty truck... Man I hate to hear about this issue.

Give it a shot and please let us know what transpires.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by porkshop View Post
    seems to be a 2007 issue?or is it only because older trucks have higher mileage so therefore other MY will experience this malfunction?
    interesting to know.
    I was wondering the same thing. Is is a 2007 issue or a mileage issue? maybe a poll is in order.
    2009 DC Pyrite Mica 4.7 - Wheels, seat, gas tank

jic
    Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks to all for responding...BUT you still have not answered my question...Can I keep driving my truck with this problem? Is there a safety issue associated with it? If it isn't more than not passing an emission test, well...I am stuck with this truck so I need to know, PLEEEEASE...

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by jic View Post
    Thanks to all for responding...BUT you still have not answered my question...Can I keep driving my truck with this problem? Is there a safety issue associated with it? If it isn't more than not passing an emission test, well...I am stuck with this truck so I need to know, PLEEEEASE...
    Nobody can tell you for certain if your truck is safe to drive because there are many reasons and causes for trouble codes, and this particular trouble code might just be one part of a bigger issue for some people.

But based on what I have learned it seems that most of the DTC trouble codes related to the air injection pump system will only affect the extra air which is injected for a very short period of time at startup, thus the main symptom will be slightly worse emmissions from your tail pipe briefly at startup. The more noticeable driveability issues come into play once your truck senses a problem and sets an air injection trouble code in the ECU memory bank, which causes the main engine ECU to enter a "fail safe" mode which limits the throttle control to set a top limit on the amount of fuel the engine can receive. This causes your truck to run slower because you can't shift into higher gears, accelerate quickly, haul loads, or go uphill without using more fuel, so the best you can do is to creep along at slower speeds on level or down hill grades until you clear the codes from memory or have the truck repaired. In my case I have an OBDII meter which cost me about $70 at Harbor Freight. I hooked it up and cleared my own codes in just 30 seconds and then the truck drives fine again for several days or a week until the codes come back. This is not a permanent fix but it at least allows me to drive the truck normally without having it towed to the dealer or spending $3,000-$5,000 for a repair which should be covered under warranty.

So my advice to you is to buy an OBDII meter or stop by your local Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or similar store where they will let you borrow their meter for free to clear your codes. If you have your own meter then you can keep it in the truck with you and clear your own codes if they hit while you are away from home or on an important trip. Well worth the $70 investment until you can get the truck fixed. And some meters are as cheap as $30 so why not?

For those interested in this issue please consider posting to the other more active thread which is related to the same issue:
    Air Induction Pump

I will be posting more detail there including documents, photos, and other tips.
    WileETundra

view all of my 2007 Tundra mod reports and photos

Note: I receive many messages about the NAV Speed Pulse Generator so I continue to build them for people on request. If you want one then just PM me via this forum and include your email address.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast