Did you use the illumination wire when installing aftermarket HU?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you use the illumination wire when installing aftermarket HU?

Liked
    0 times

Default Did you use the illumination wire when installing aftermarket HU?

I am going to install a kenwood dnx 6960 and wanted to know if I should hook up the illumination wire or not. I have a 2007 Tundra with JBL non nav and I can't find the correct wire. If anyone has an illustration showing thw correct wire that would be great. If I don't need to hook up the wire at all that would be even better.
    2007 5.7L Silver Sky Metallic DC/XSP Package

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Did you use the illumination wire when installing aftermarket HU?

Just guessing, but it would be personal preference if you wanted to use the dimmer. If you can't find the correct wire via illustration, just use a DC test light to locate it.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

These should help...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    In Garage Currently:
    2009 DC SR5 Tundra 6" Procomp II, 18" Eagle Alloys, LineX, airbags, black leather...mine
    2004 Sequoia Limited w/22" TIS wrapped with Nitto 285/45R22 (yeah they rub)...family hauler
    2007 Prius (enough said)...wifey's
    2005? RAV4...mom's
    1995 20' Carrera jet boat powered by BBC 454...uh mine

Liked
    0 times

So do I just use the pos illumination wire on the k4 plug?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I would think that you would have to tap into both, but I've never tried it with an aftermarket HU...so, I'm not exactly sure. Do you have the wiring diagram with your HU? Does it only have one ILL wire? You may have to try different combinations.
    In Garage Currently:
    2009 DC SR5 Tundra 6" Procomp II, 18" Eagle Alloys, LineX, airbags, black leather...mine
    2004 Sequoia Limited w/22" TIS wrapped with Nitto 285/45R22 (yeah they rub)...family hauler
    2005? RAV4...mom's

Liked
    0 times

Yes it only has one illumination wire. I wouldn't think u would hook the pos and neg up to that one wire would you?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I couldn't give you an answer on that...here is what one guy said from a google search (maybe someone with stereo knowledge will chime in)

"My car's factory wiring harness has two illumination wires: ILL+ and
    ILL-. My head unit's harness only has one illumination wire.

When I connect the illumination wire from my head unit's harness to
    the ILL+ wire on my car's factory harness, the head unit's backlight
    gets _brighter_ when I dim the lights using the car's dimmer control,
    and it gets _dimmer_ when I increase the brightness.

Should I connect the head unit's dimmer wire to the ILL- wire on my
    car's harness instead of the ILL+ wire? "

Thanks

"No. Find a parking light wire +12V and use that instead. You'll just
    damage the dash light circuit if you try and tie it to the radio. "
    In Garage Currently:
    2005? RAV4...mom's

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Based on the google searches I read, you'll need to be careful (which you are) and hook up the correct or you may fry something.
    In Garage Currently:
    2005? RAV4...mom's

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Here's another one (he's talking about an 03 Toyota here):

Ok I emailed metra, since I am using the Metra TOYO-01 harness. This is what they said:

"What you will have to do is take that wire straight to either your dash dimmer inside the car, or to one of your taillight wires as Toyota
    does not use illumination on their vehicles, they use dimmer, positive and negative. You need a wire that will show twelve DC when the lights
    are on, dimmed or not dimmed. You must use a digital multimeter when doing this as you can damage your dash light dimmer. Highly recommended to have a professional do this for you, and make sure they have insurance in case they damage the car."
    In Garage Currently:
    2005? RAV4...mom's

Liked
    0 times

Wow! Now I'm really confused.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

i've been installing my own hu 's for years. don't connect it. u won't have any problems

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I installed my Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT just last Thursday and used the radio harness adapters like these: Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Electronics There is an orange illumination wire on the adapter harness that hooked up the orange illumination wire on the Pioneer harness. Everything works like it should (when I turn my headlights on the screen dims). This was also on a non JBL setup.
    2010 DC 5.7 TRD Off Road
    Goodyear DuraTrac 295/65/18
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Liked
    0 times

^Did the same thing as asphalt. Connected my orange wire on HU to orange wire on metra harness. Depending on the headunit you're installing, the illumination wire is important. On mine, when you switch the lights on it turns the Navigation into nightview mode (different set of colors) so the bright colors are not so blinding.
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7

|Corsa Sport Exhaust|TRD Intake|Optitrons|Eclipse DVD/GPS|Factory 20's|Rapid Hitch|Headache Rack|Delta Toolbox|

Liked
    14 times

I don't remember this being that difficult. Hook up a meter and find a wire that goes to 12V when you turn on the lights. I did hook mine up because the Nav screen is really bright at night.

Liked
    0 times

Well the difficult part is that this has the JBL system so the wire harnesses are different. To my knowledge they don't make a harness adapter that has the illumination wire for the jbl. I have searched and the only harness that is even close is the metra 70-8113 but it is missing the illum wire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast