Rear Ended-Hitch Damage

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear Ended-Hitch Damage

Liked
    0 times

Default Rear Ended-Hitch Damage

I was at a stop light today, and a ford escape rear ended me without ever slowing down. My best guess is they were going about 30-40 mph. It was a young kid, and I felt pretty bad for him. His escape was totalled and had to be towed away. I wished I would have taken pictures of his vehicle, but I was too much in shock. I got to drive away. My bumper is pushed in and I have some scratches here and there, but upon closer inspection, it looks like the hitch was bent down, and there was movement in the hitch that mounted to the frame. I'm a little worried that it may have done other damage that I won't be happy with. It might be in my head, but the truck felt a little loose on the back end as well. I have air bags, so perhaps the lines to the airbags were damaged as the lines go to both sides of the license plate which got jacked up as well. I only have 2 little pictures and my neck hurts and I didn't get a chance to get all the pictures from underneith. I'm not worried about the cosmetic damage, but considering I tow a 5th wheel, I'm worried I damaged other unseen items, and would rather have their adjuster total the truck than worry about safetly. Any thoughts or suggestions from you fellows? I'm sure more pictures would help you better, but all I can say is that the hitch is definitely bent down and it definitely moved on the frame. Hofefully the frame wasn't bent at all. I do feel fortunate as my truck barely had any damage compared to the other guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00174-20100419-1802.jpg 
Views:	496 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	50694   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00176-20100419-1803.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	50695  
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Default Re: Rear Ended-Hitch Damage

Hope your alright. That doesn't look like much damage, but there might be more than we can see. What happened to the other guy? Did he have to go get checked out?
    08 grade crew max 5.7 modded with - Pace Edwards Bedlocker, 15% tint all around, 30% windshield, Raptor Step bars, DT LONG TUBES, Banks Monster single out, Craven Speed Stubby antenna, K & N 77 Series CAI, Polk Audio DB6501 components (front), Polk Audio DB651 (rear), Pioneer AVHP4100DVD (Head unit), Polk Audio MM1040 DVC (sub), JBL GTO5355 5 Channel (amp), BOYO back up camera, TRD Sway Bar, Unichip, color matched grille surround and emblem, DDM HID 35w 5000K Lows & Fogs.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Glad you're okay. Obviously get yourself looked at and let insurance handle it.

Now, you're definitely going to want to replace the hitch (same goes for a carseat if ever in a collision). You might have some frame damage, but the body shop can tell that. Did your bed hit your cab at all? Any paint missing? Dents?

Seat damage (like that one guy)?

-rockstate

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by red4rr View Post
    Hope your alright. That doesn't look like much damage, but there might be more than we can see. What happened to the other guy? Did he have to go get checked out?
    Yeah, sorry I wished I could take more pictures, but overall there wasn't that much damage. I guess that's what happens when they hit the hitch that is mounted to the frame. Other guy just hurt his back and the passenger had some seat belt rash. They were able to walk away, but their vehicle had to be flat bedded.
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Glad you're okay. Obviously get yourself looked at and let insurance handle it.

Now, you're definitely going to want to replace the hitch (same goes for a carseat if ever in a collision). You might have some frame damage, but the body shop can tell that. Did your bed hit your cab at all? Any paint missing? Dents?

Seat damage (like that one guy)?

-rockstate
    Yeah, hitch is no good by just looking at it. There's visible damage to the hitch itself beside being bent. Not sure on the bed. I better take a look at that now. Paint definitely missing and scrached in various places and the bumper got pushed into the body panel a little. We'll see what the adjuster has to say tomorrow.
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

Liked
    12 times
    Images

I would bet that the hitch transferred the energy to the frame and it has been tweaked at the downturn and the bed to cab clearance is different. if it has not already kissed each other.
    N7TEW
    ARB Sahara,
    Firestone Ride-rites 2245, Hell roaring technology dual battery setup, Wrangler dual battery tray, (2) Odyssey PC1200T batteries, Tru-speed recalibrator, Icon Coil overs with 700lb springs, Total Chaos upper control arms, Bilstein 5100's out back, Hankook Dynapro MT LT265x75r16's,Skid row skidplate package (3) pieces, Wheelers HD 3 leaf springs, Poly steering rack bushing kit, poly sway bar bushing kit,poly bump stops, Stubbs welding Weld On sliders ( HD-SKO),USA Spec PA-15,AmSteel 7/16 x 90' synthetic winch line, 100' AmSteel 7/16 extension rope, .

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
    I would bet that the hitch transferred the energy to the frame and it has been tweaked at the downturn and the bed to cab clearance is different. if it has not already kissed each other.
    That's my fear. I will check the bed to cab clearance tomorrow.

This accident does solidify how much I like this truck. My truck has some quirks I don't like, but without really going into those items, it has suited me very well. I thought about what I would do if they did total the truck, but I always come back to hope they don't and I can use the truck as is. I thought about getting a new duramax or superduty if they did total it due to how much I tow, but I would rather keep the set up I have now. It has suited me well, and I have no complaints. I'll hope for the best, and I guess the worst case, I would end up getting another tundra anyways.
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

Liked
    9 times
    Images

My hitch was definitely damaged when I got hit,just kidding. Bring it in, let them look at it on the lift, never know about frame damage. Hope you are OK, unfortunately I am not, lots more pics if people want to see. I think I am the one with the seat failure mentioned earlier. No lawyer will touch the seat issue against Toyota, even though that's where my injuries are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 053.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	50696   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 071.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	50697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 037.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	50698  

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadesw View Post
    My hitch was definitely damaged when I got hit,just kidding. Bring it in, let them look at it on the lift, never know about frame damage. Hope you are OK, unfortunately I am not, lots more pics if people want to see. I think I am the one with the seat failure mentioned earlier. No lawyer will touch the seat issue against Toyota, even though that's where my injuries are.
    Wow did you get hit by a truck or SUV? My damage is not close to that on the bed. My bumper and hitch looks about the same either though my picture doesn't show it. My bumper is actually sheared off at the bottom, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much on these thin bumpers. I'm more worried about the hitch and frame. I did notice that things went flying pretty good in my truck. I couldn't find my mail key and the little tray inside the center council fell off it's track. I noticed that my navigation got tweaked a little either though it's mounted with adhesive. I had some stuff on the back seat that I noticed on the floor. I guess I'm still kind of in shock and didn't really focus on the damage. Still my truck from looking at it, would never tell that I had such an impact. I'm thankful it was a small vehicle especially at that speed.
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by crah View Post
    Wow did you get hit by a truck or SUV? My damage is not close to that on the bed. My bumper and hitch looks about the same either though my picture doesn't show it. My bumper is actually sheared off at the bottom, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much on these thin bumpers. I'm more worried about the hitch and frame. I did notice that things went flying pretty good in my truck. I couldn't find my mail key and the little tray inside the center council fell off it's track. I noticed that my navigation got tweaked a little either though it's mounted with adhesive. I had some stuff on the back seat that I noticed on the floor. I guess I'm still kind of in shock and didn't really focus on the damage. Still my truck from looking at it, would never tell that I had such an impact. I'm thankful it was a small vehicle especially at that speed.
    My pops got hit in his 1st gen tundra in 05 and it was about the same situation, bumper bent down and messed up the hitch.... The truck's frame was a bit off and it was pretty noticeable after the accident and repairs... tell someone to drive behind you and tell you if it drives unbalanced,,,

Supporter
    Liked
    2 times

I will admit, in those pics, both Tundra's ended up taking the blow really well...

Looks like a damn safe truck
    2010 Tundra DC on 24's with some "make it mine" mods
    1995 Supra Single Turbo 6 speed Show Car
    1995 Supra 3.4L Stroked Turbo 6 speed 1000WHP
    1993 Supra Single Turbo 6 speed hardtop

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Similar happened to me on my old 4Runner. Huge/old motor home was paying attention elsewhere and hit me at about 15 MPH while I was stopped in the left turn lane at a red light. Actually pushed me about a car length. His bumper lined up perfectly with my hitch and it demolished his licesne plate and made a nice V in his bumper. I got out for a quick look and as we met he said he wanted to just leave almost immediately saying “it looks like no damage on your vehicle”. Since it felt pretty darn hard and he pushed me, I told him lets pull over an look, but it also struck me as odd considering how quickly he pushed this out and without really looking, so I called the police to meet us. They did but the officer only look at the bumper and said “no damage” even though I explained he hit the hitch. While he spoke with the other guy, I saw the agitation of this guy and heard him say I was “wasting his time” and it appeared the officer was agreeing with him. In the end the officer sent me home and gave the guy a ticket for no tags writing no damage on the ticket. At the scene I did look and arguably I found no damage. Upon going home however I got a light and crawled under realizing the paint had bubbled on both sides. I popped the paint off and you could clearly tell that it was stressed. So, I called the police department back and they indicated the report was written with the officer indicating “no damage”, so they would not release any more info on this guy. I called my insurance and they said that considering the issue, I would just have to claim it on my insurance; but since my deductible was $500 it would not help. So, I blew $400 for a new receiver…

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.