Cummins and Tranny Swap into Tundra..need help.

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cummins and Tranny Swap into Tundra..need help.

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Default Cummins and Tranny Swap into Tundra..need help.

I know most of you opened this to see if its been done, but other than the SEMA truck with a diesel, i fear not. What my question is, do you think this is feasible? I really love my Tundra, but i have been doing more pulling with it lately, and i fear with my lift and tires, it will eventually be too much. Now before any of you get on your Yota high horse and say this truck can pull f*&king everything, i don't want to hear it. I have been a Toyota owner for awhile as i had family selling them which first got me interested, and i know they are good strong vehicles, and i know this truck can pull with the best of them. My only concern is i will pull alot of weight. As it is now, i sometimes have my 4,500lbs dual axle dump trailer loaded with 7,000lbs + and it does ok. I'm looking for longevity and thats why i have been looking into a few places about putting a Cummins and tranny in the Tundra. I have been to 4 shops and 2 said it could be done, the other 2 said no. One of the shops that said no said i would be better off taking my body and putting it on a Dodge frame and just move the rear axle to have it line up with the Tundra rear well. I have found a few 5.9 Cummins for around $4500- $5,000 and a few 6.7 Cummins for $6,000 - $8,000 on DieselEngineTrader.com. so that is giving me some hope that these motors are pretty easy to come by as well as the transmissions. So i figure with the tranny, new ecu, wiring, and engine, im looking at about $14,000 - $16,000 which i could do. I know most of you will say i should just go buy a new Diesel and call it a day, but after driving a few new ones, i like my Tundra more. I'm also a Dodge guy as well as a Toyota guy so thats saying something. So i guess im just asking if you think i could do it, what other things im missing, such as possibly having to stiffen the frame or suspension, and if any of you have a good idea where i could have it done in the US. I have no problem bringing it somewhere and leaving it for a couple of months if thats my only option. I know this is crazy, but its something that i want. So do you guys think this is possible?
    Last edited by Ademadude1960; 05-20-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Brendon
    2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax Limited 4x4 5.7
    Silver Sky Metallic, Red Rock Interior, Husky Floor Mats, TRD, Bed Rug, XM, Chrome Tube Bars, Cold Kit, Tow Package, Door Sill Covers, Aftermarket Webasto Sunroof, Valentine One Radar, 2 Kicker L7s in Custom Box, 7" In-Dash Navigation - Alpine IVA-W505, 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers - True dual exhaust, 6 Inch Pro Comp Stage II Lift, 355X65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp 6047 Wheels, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Front & Rear Expedition One Bumpers, Superwinch, PIAA 510 Fog Lights, Pilot White Lights.
    Upcoming Mods: 20% Tint, Bak Flip Bed Cover, Bushwhacker Fender Flares, More Lift If Possible, New Gears Front and Rear, and Rear Locker..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Default Re: Cummins and Tranny Swap into Tundra..need help.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention one thing, i have dropped an insane amount of money into this truck! Even if i sell it privately, i won't get most of what i spent back. I knew that maybe the case one day if i decided to sell it, so thats one of the reasons for putting the Diesel in the Tundra. Also, i could probably sell my tranny and 5.7 and put those funds towards the bill.
    Brendon
    Silver Sky Metallic, Red Rock Interior, Husky Floor Mats, TRD, Bed Rug, XM, Chrome Tube Bars, Cold Kit, Tow Package, Door Sill Covers, Aftermarket Webasto Sunroof, Valentine One Radar, 2 Kicker L7s in Custom Box, 7" In-Dash Navigation - Alpine IVA-W505, 2 Flowmaster 40 series mufflers - True dual exhaust, 6 Inch Pro Comp Stage II Lift, 355X65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Pro Comp 6047 Wheels, Airaid Cold Air Intake, Front & Rear Expedition One Bumpers, Superwinch, PIAA 510 Fog Lights, Pilot White Lights.
    Upcoming Mods: 20% Tint, Bak Flip Bed Cover, Bushwhacker Fender Flares, More Lift If Possible, New Gears Front and Rear, and Rear Locker..

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Sounds pretty crazy. I'd definitely do the 5.9 not the 6.7 (emissions problems I've heard).

6 speed swap?

You might want to contact that place that stretches the CC trucks with a 6.5 or 8' bed.

If you can do it, it'd be awesome. Not something I'd undertake given the cash value involved, and the future of working out kinks.

I'd sell my truck and buy a used '06 Dodge with low miles, even if that means parting out your truck. Your'e stick with the exhaust and bedliner in there.. as well as teh suspension, wheels, and tires, but you can get rid of the bumpers (probably 1K a pop) and keep the winch for the next one.

Also, you MIGHT be over the axle rating for the front end with a diesel swap, bumper and winch... just somethign to think about.

-rockstate

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    Sounds pretty crazy. I'd definitely do the 5.9 not the 6.7 (emissions problems I've heard).

6 speed swap?

You might want to contact that place that stretches the CC trucks with a 6.5 or 8' bed.

If you can do it, it'd be awesome. Not something I'd undertake given the cash value involved, and the future of working out kinks.

I'd sell my truck and buy a used '06 Dodge with low miles, even if that means parting out your truck. Your'e stick with the exhaust and bedliner in there.. as well as teh suspension, wheels, and tires, but you can get rid of the bumpers (probably 1K a pop) and keep the winch for the next one.

Also, you MIGHT be over the axle rating for the front end with a diesel swap, bumper and winch... just somethign to think about.

-rockstate
    Yeah i thought about that and if it was the case, a SAS would be the next on the to do list.
    Brendon

Liked
    14 times

Don't forget to recertify the truck from 1/2 ton to whatever you are transforming it to. Otherwise, it is still a half ton truck in DOT's or Highway Patrol's eyes.

This company can extend and beef up your frame:
    Precision Bodyline: MegaCab LongBed Conversions

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

ha ha ha...I be the first to say our toy tundras cant pull nothing compared to a true work horse truck such as a big 3 dodge. QUOTE=Ademadude1960;1488506]. Now before any of you get on your Yota high horse and say this truck can pull f*&king everything, i don't want to hear it. I have been a Toyota owner for awhile as i had family selling them which first got me interested, and i know they are good strong vehicles, and i know this truck can pull with the best of them.?[/QUOTE]

Liked
    0 times
    Images

So you don't want to buy a proper 3/4 or 1 ton diesel because you like the way the tundra drives, but you will put in a WAY heavier engine and a solid front axle... thereby eliminating the nice ride of the 1/2 ton tundra. So now you have a half ton truck that has gobs of torque and inferior handling/ride, on a weak half ton frame, pulling way more than you should be just because you have more torque. I don't want to get into the "tundra should be a 3/4 ton" debate, I know they are pretty close, but they aren't.
    If you want a cummins engine, 5.9 of course, with a dodge tranny and a solid front axle, bo buy a dodge. Put the tudra body on it if it makes you feel better, I actually think that would be kinda cool.

Everybody knows you never make up the money you spend upgrading your truck, and keeping it and blowing a bunch more on it doesn't change that, it's just more money you'll be out when you do end up selling it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

The tundra frame is WAY too weak for a diesel IMHO. I think for what kind of jack to make this work, you can keep the tundra as is and buy a diesel truck for the heavy hauling. Just saying...

Liked
    59 times
    Images

Sounds pretty crazy! Why not just buy a used Dodge Cummins truck for your heavy pulls? Seems like you'll be spending around the same amount of $$$ to do this upgrade to your truck...
    2004 Sequoia 4.7L 4x4
    275/65/17 Hankook I-Pike RW11, Brush guard, 27w LED Aux lights, Ebay Nav, Husky Liners

Also have 2008 Prius, 2006 Honda Cr-V
    Previous: 2010 Tundra CM 4x4 & 2007 Tundra DC 4x4

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    122 times
    Images

Write an email to one of those tv shows like Trucks and see if they are interested in getting involved. If you are willing to buy all the parts you never know they might want to have it as a project and give you cheap/free labor. I know there is a VERY small chance that anyone will even read the email but you never know that would be so cool. You would definitly have a one of a kind Tundra!
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Preferred Dealer
    Liked
    55 times
    Images

Brendon, anything is feasable. This would be great to see, and I say go for it...If it's worth anything, I'll be happy to "consult".

Back in 2002/2003 I actually had an 8.0L Hino J08C-TI and considered swapping it into one of a few Toyota rigs. Ultimately, it was just too much engine for the available Toyota chassis's, so I sold it. Hino/Toyota Diesel, 8.0L IMO the 2nd gen Tundra has the beef in many area's to carry this... and in those area's where it dosn't, well, they can be dealt with.
    Atwalz likes this.
    Brian
    Jowett HD Tundra Parts

Driving the Tundra aftermarket forward.

ARB 10.5" Locking Differentials now Available!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."
    brian@jowettengineering.com
    www.jowettengineering.com

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I doubt the CTD would fit in the Tundra engine compartment. The Tundra has one of the shortest hoods around, on my '03 Dodge the engine was way back under the cowl. It is a interesting idea but if you think you have a lot of money in your truck that can never get back do this swap and you will surely double or tripple that amount.
    2010 CM 4X4 5.7 Super White
    5100s on middle setting
    Michelin AT/2 load range E 275/70/18

Liked
    0 times
    Images

It would be cool if it would work and not be sooo expensive. I would just buy a new truck with a cummins in it.
    08 grade crew max 5.7 modded with - Pace Edwards Bedlocker, 15% tint all around, 30% windshield, Raptor Step bars, DT LONG TUBES, Banks Monster single out, Craven Speed Stubby antenna, K & N 77 Series CAI, Polk Audio DB6501 components (front), Polk Audio DB651 (rear), Pioneer AVHP4100DVD (Head unit), Polk Audio MM1040 DVC (sub), JBL GTO5355 5 Channel (amp), BOYO back up camera, TRD Sway Bar, Unichip, color matched grille surround and emblem, DDM HID 35w 5000K Lows & Fogs.

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
    I doubt the CTD would fit in the Tundra engine compartment. The Tundra has one of the shortest hoods around, on my '03 Dodge the engine was way back under the cowl. It is a interesting idea but if you think you have a lot of money in your truck that can never get back do this swap and you will surely double or tripple that amount.
    Heck, that might be the biggest problem with doign this. The rest can be solved with ol' fashioned craftmanship and $$$

The engine bay on a Dodge is pretty big and they do indeed tuck it in there.

What about all the other stuff like a radiator? It'll be hard to get that all to slide up front.

-rockstate

Liked
    2 times

my cousin auction a salvage 06 ford 4x4 f250 with all the bells and whistles. body and frame was still good. just had a bad engine. got it for 16k and drop in a used diesel engine which cost him another 4500. now that thing is sweet cant even tell it was a salvage vehicle. i think this would be a better route for u might cost a little more but at least you got urself a true 3/4ton. just an idea though

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast