1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: popping sound when I turn left

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default popping sound when I turn left

This past week I've noticed a popping sound towards the back right of my truck when ever I turn left. If I take a hard left, such as through an intersection it will take about 100 yards until Ill hear the sound. If I take easier left like changing lanes our around a soft bend it happens earlier, after I straiten out. I noticed my bottom/smallest leaf spring on my back right frame is not as lined up as I guess it should be. Its an '08 has about 40,000 miles on it. I'm going to take it in but I thought I would check here first. One other thing, I was driving on the beach this past weekend, I don't know if that has something to do with it but I think it started some time after that. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by bchamish; 06-02-2010 at 11:55 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    191 times

Default Re: popping sound when I turn left

Sounds like sand in your crack, I mean rear end.

Liked
    172 times

Couple of things...

1) Only make right turns like the UPS driver does.
    2) Maybe power wash the underside, wheels, rear end, etc to get rid of the squeeky sand.
    >>big$$

========================================
    SR5 Dbl Cab 2009, 4x4, 5.7L, Flex Fuel, Desert Sand Mica, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg, Ventashades, Bugflector II, AMP Bumper Step, OEM All weather mats, Line-X, OEM Chrome Running Bds, Underseat Rear Storage, OEM Sill Protectors, Chrome Tailgate edges, Chrome Lic Plate Frame, aFe Pro Dry-S Air Cleaner, Charcoal Air Filter Mod; Visor Labels Mod; Fog Lights Mod; DRL Off Mod; Extra Loud Horn Mod, OEM SS Exhaust Tip
    "We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry and grasping at the spoils of the multitude." - Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Patriot
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) U. S. President

Liked
    326 times
    Images

Bad rear wheel bearing maybe??
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    125 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
    Bad rear wheel bearing maybe??
    I'm leaning more this way than sand. Doesn't seem like sand would cause a popping sound...
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the advise guys. I do think the sand might just be a coincidence. I'm probably going to get it look at tomorrow.

Liked
    4 times

I don't thi k I would tell them you had been driving on the beach! No sir nothing but paved roads for my 4x4 truck!
    2008 Tundra CrewMax SR5, Silver Sky 5.7 and 4x4

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    125 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PPosey View Post
    I don't thi k I would tell them you had been driving on the beach! No sir nothing but paved roads for my 4x4 truck!
    I definitly second this! The less the dealership knows the better!
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Sounds like you'll need the rear leaf spring u-bolts re-torqued. I had similar popping sounds all the time going over bumps while braking or up drive ways while turning...tighten down my leaf springs, and now I rarely hear it, if at all.
    In Garage Currently:
    2009 DC SR5 Tundra 6" Procomp II, 18" Eagle Alloys, LineX, airbags, black leather...mine
    2004 Sequoia Limited w/22" TIS wrapped with Nitto 285/45R22 (yeah they rub)...family hauler
    2007 Prius (enough said)...wifey's
    2005? RAV4...mom's
    1995 20' Carrera jet boat powered by BBC 454...uh mine

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Come on guys, it's a 4wd truck. Some people actually use their 4wd other than to have the flashy chrome badge on the back - which some take off anyway.

You don't have to tell them you had it in the sand, but if they ask there's no reason to lie to them. Heck, you're not under warranty anyway.

Bad wheel bearing maybe... seems like this is becoming a common failure among these trucks now. Oddly enough b/c the wheel bearings are the size of a SD.

And yes, I hope somebody comments on the last statement that's in Italics.

-rockstate

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.