Amount of Oil for v6

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Amount of Oil for v6

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Amount of Oil for v6

Hi, I have a 2009 Tundra 4.0 v6... how much oil is this suppose to take??? the owners manuel says 4.8qt with filter change... well I dumped the 5qt Mobil 1 in, and it still looks like it's 1/2 qt low, it looks to be bewteen the 2 dot's... This is the (3)rd oil change I did, and these seems to be the norm.... so I don't know weahter to go ahead and dump another 1/2 qt or what.... anyone else have this motor????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Default Re: Amount of Oil for v6

Let the engine warm up and it should be where it's supposed to.
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7,2WD White Crewmax
    Toytec 3 Inch lift,18 Monster wheels
    Firestone airbags with compressor
    295/70/18 Tires,Step Rails,Dash Mat
    Bed Extender,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Clazzio seat covers, TRD Sway Bar

Veteran Member
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by the_wraith View Post
    Hi, I have a 2009 Tundra 4.0 v6... how much oil is this suppose to take??? the owners manuel says 4.8qt with filter change... well I dumped the 5qt Mobil 1 in, and it still looks like it's 1/2 qt low, it looks to be bewteen the 2 dot's... This is the (3)rd oil change I did, and these seems to be the norm.... so I don't know weahter to go ahead and dump another 1/2 qt or what.... anyone else have this motor????

I have the V6 in my Tacoma and it takes about 5.5 quarts to top dot mark on the dip stick.

Last edited by SOSHeloPilot; 06-19-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: typos
    SOS
    "Life can only be understood backwards ... but it must be lived forwards" ...... Soren Kierkegaard
    If you or a friend is or has been in the US Military ... make sure ALL important info. (injuries & medical treatments) is documented in the medical records ... and keep those records (forever) in case of a DoD or DVA claim.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonCrew View Post
    Let the engine warm up and it should be where it's supposed to.
    I did, and it wasn't..

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

almost 6.. i put in 5.8 qts according to my oil gun..

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Does that engine have a normal oil filter or does it have the one like the 5.7? If you have a normal filter maybe Toyota takes in to account they want the oil filter pre filled before you fill the engine with oil. That may be where the extra oil is needed. I don't think the filter holds a 1/2 quart, but maybe a 1/4 quart.
    2007 Tundra SR5 5.7,2WD White Crewmax
    Toytec 3 Inch lift,18 Monster wheels
    Firestone airbags with compressor
    295/70/18 Tires,Step Rails,Dash Mat
    Bed Extender,Carbon Fiber Dash Kit
    Clazzio seat covers, TRD Sway Bar

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonCrew View Post
    Does that engine have a normal oil filter or does it have the one like the 5.7? If you have a normal filter maybe Toyota takes in to account they want the oil filter pre filled before you fill the engine with oil. That may be where the extra oil is needed. I don't think the filter holds a 1/2 quart, but maybe a 1/4 quart.
    I'm not sure how a 5.7 filter is, on my v6 the filter is on top of the motor...front drivers side.

Liked
    143 times

As long as you have the correct dipstick, the proper amount of oil is the amount it takes to reach the full line (or mark) with the engine at operating temperature.
    The manual will be close, but cannot account for manufacturing tolerances, or oil that pools in the galleries, heads, etc.
    Some newer engines have a slow draindown, so when you shut off the engine to check the level, wait a minute or so before you check it.

Steve

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by StevJ View Post
    As long as you have the correct dipstick, the proper amount of oil is the amount it takes to reach the full line (or mark) with the engine at operating temperature.
    The manual will be close, but cannot account for manufacturing tolerances, or oil that pools in the galleries, heads, etc.
    Some newer engines have a slow draindown, so when you shut off the engine to check the level, wait a minute or so before you check it.

Steve
    Yeah, I waited a good 15-20min, plus before I changed the oil I checked it and it was the same... so it looks like I need to put in another 1/2qt... to make it a total 5.5qt.