Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5". - Page 16

  1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

    Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!
     
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516
Results 226 to 239 of 239
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

  1. #226
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Yesterday I had the Auburn LSD installed, last night we had our first measurable snow fall. Not much snow, less than an inch.

    I have two spots, one of which is my driveway, that cause me traction problems. What they have in common is that one must come to a complete stop, then make a sharp 90 degree turn and negotiate a substantial adverse grade.

    The driveway in particular is tricky because I am pulling through a 8' wide garage door with about 2" or less clearance on each side. It could be real expensive to just take a running go at it and hope for the best.

    On an ice covered bridge this morning I proved yes I can spin both rear tires should I use even a little too much gas, and that with almost new Michelin tires. The Michelin are all season, once we get a few more snows I shall put the winter rims/tires on.

    But over all I'm very happy.

    The shop charged only $250 labor, $25 for rear oil.

    They did not need the new shims set, they did replace the carrier bearings since I have 37.3k miles. And they used up about half the rear axle gasket set.

    In my case I'm more interested in driving in the snow than I am lower ET's. So far I'm pleased.
    Last edited by buford; 11-24-2012 at 07:30 AM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #227
    Supporter TRDCrewMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    9 times
    Images
    13
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Yesterday I had the Auburn LSD installed, last night we had our first measurable snow fall. Not much snow, less than an inch.

    I have two spots, one of which is my driveway, that cause me traction problems. What they have in common is that one must come to a complete stop, then make a sharp 90 degree turn and negotiate a substantial adverse grade.

    The driveway in particular is tricky because I am pulling through a 8' wide garage door with about 2" or less clearance on each side. It could be real expensive to just take a running go at it and hope for the best.

    On an ice covered bridge this morning I proved yes I can spin both rear tires should I use even a little too much gas, and that with almost new Michelin tires. The Michelin are all season, once we get a few more snows I shall put the winter rims/tires on.

    But over all I'm very happy.

    The shop charged only $250 labor, $25 for rear oil.

    They did not need the new shims set, they did replace the carrier bearings since I have 37.3k miles. And they used up about half the rear axle gasket set.

    In my case I'm more interested in driving in the snow than I am lower ET's. So far I'm pleased.
    $250 is excellent. WHat was the overall price including labor? I got an estimate from Toyota for $1350.00 parts + labor

  4. #228
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    I got the Auburn unit itself from Just Differentials Toyota : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

    for a little over $500, under $550 with shipping, (it is very heavy)

    Toyota axle gasket set $73
    Carrier Bearings (pair) $120 for both
    Special shim selection $20
    gear lub 4 qts ~ $20
    Labor $250

    I get $1013 total

    I was told to find an "off road" shop that frequently does rear end work and I think that was good advise. I found a hot rod machine shop that sets up axles for the dealerships in the area and for track use.

    My local Toyota dealership did not want the job, and if they thought they were not up to the task I would have to agree.

  5. #229
    Supporter TRDCrewMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    9 times
    Images
    13
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    I got the Auburn unit itself from Just Differentials Toyota : JTs Parts & Accessories, Justdifferentials.com

    for a little over $500, under $550 with shipping, (it is very heavy)

    Toyota axle gasket set $73
    Carrier Bearings (pair) $120 for both
    Special shim selection $20
    gear lub 4 qts ~ $20
    Labor $250

    I get $1013 total

    I was told to find an "off road" shop that frequently does rear end work and I think that was good advise. I found a hot rod machine shop that sets up axles for the dealerships in the area and for track use.

    My local Toyota dealership did not want the job, and if they thought they were not up to the task I would have to agree.
    Sparks Toyota in SC is up to the task, but it's $1350 + 9% tax. Is yours the ECTED switchable locker? Regardless, you got a good deal.

  6. #230
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    ECTED is electronic? I do not trust electronic, or air activated. LSDs have been doing great with out that stuff for 60 years. I did not want anything unnecessary and extra to go wrong. In a perfect world I would want a Eaton TrueTrac in both axles. But Eaton is a very big company so their minimum production run is very large and we are too small a market to interest them. I've also tried to contact Toyota TRD about a mechanical LSD and talk to a human engineer, not a note-taking receptionist with out any luck.

    Auburn is planning an electronic locker for the Tundra but I don't know when it will arrive and I don't see it all that helpful on the street.

    All I have to do is change gear lub in 7,500 miles, then every 30k miles. If I don't drive like a jerk often I may get 75k-100k miles before the unit needs rebuilt. Other than that it like a regular Tundra only with more traction. I have no new switches or other junk to fool with.

  7. #231
    Supporter TRDCrewMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    9 times
    Images
    13
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    ECTED is electronic? I do not trust electronic, or air activated. LSDs have been doing great with out that stuff for 60 years. I did not want anything unnecessary and extra to go wrong. In a perfect world I would want a Eaton TrueTrac in both axles. But Eaton is a very big company so their minimum production run is very large and we are too small a market to interest them. I've also tried to contact Toyota TRD about a mechanical LSD and talk to a human engineer, not a note-taking receptionist with out any luck.

    Auburn is planning an electronic locker for the Tundra but I don't know when it will arrive and I don't see it all that helpful on the street.

    All I have to do is change gear lub in 7,500 miles, then every 30k miles. If I don't drive like a jerk often I may get 75k-100k miles before the unit needs rebuilt. Other than that it like a regular Tundra only with more traction. I have no new switches or other junk to fool with.
    The ECTED locker is a standard LSD with an added feature: You can switch into a full locking diff if needed. No other company does this. Other companies with air or electronic locking, are open diffs when they are not locked. The Auburn is an LSD when NOT locked. SO the Auburn has real value to it with a 4 yr. replacement warranty (you pay 1/2 price with core exchange) if it fails and a one year full wrnty. No other company does that either.

    There is a lighted rocker switch for the dash and it can be activated on the fly. So far I haven't heard of any failures in the ECTED. I might look into it.

    **Here is the link to the ECTED: http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...8-c6f9d7f93179
    Last edited by TRDCrewMax; 11-26-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add link

  8. #232
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    The ECTED may be what Auburn has in development for the Tundra, based on the applications listed on their web site and recent conversations with sales and support it is not yet for sale. I have wanted something better than stock since I purchased my 2007 Tundra in 2009. I did not want to wait any longer. The next morning after I had the Auburn installed I had snow. Not much snow but enough to make the roads tricky. Knowing what I do about cast iron, I've never been a big fan of drilling holes in axle housings for either air lines or wires.

  9. #233
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orange City, Fl
    Posts
    59
    Liked
    3 times
    Rep Power
    536

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Knowing what I do about cast iron, I've never been a big fan of drilling holes in axle housings for either air lines or wires.
    Since the axle housing is NOT cast iron, I see no problem with drilling, welding, or machining it.

  10. #234
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Many axle housings are iron not steel. Steel may be less brittle, it has more flex, which is one reason Ford uses cast iron, not steel for many crank shafts. So I called Just Differentials and asked them and was informed that the axle housing itself is steel but the 3rd member is cast iron.

    This morning on the drive to the tire store I needed to drift right and I thought I felt a very subtle reluctance that I attributed to the rear in spool mode. It was not a problem and I would not call it a "pull" it was much more nuanced than that. I have not felt it again. Maybe because I was gently accelerating?

    The all-season Michelin tires on their own rims came off and I had the winter Blizzak DM V1 winters (tires and rims) put on. The Blizzak tires feel a lot softer on the cold roads and I think I am getting a little more activity in the Auburn unit because the winter tires grab so much better. The action in corners is slightly more noticeable as the Auburn unlocks and locks. Now that I have a rear LSD and fresh puppy toes I look forward to the worst that mother nature can send my way.

    I think Just Differentials gave me excellent service and price. I would highly recommend them.

  11. #235
    Supporter TRDCrewMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    63
    Liked
    9 times
    Images
    13
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    I called "Just Differentials" and they said the ECTED is NOT available for the Tundra yet. Their price, as "Buford" mentioned, is very competitive. He also stated that the rear end housing on the Tundra was iron and wasn't a bit concerned about drilling the hole for the wire. He said the 'filler' for the hole is contained in the rear end kit. That rear, he prefaced, is unbelievably strong and quiet. He wanted to install the ECTED on his Jeep...as it is available for that veh. I would too.

    I then called Auburn to make sure and they confirmed the ECTED is not available and had no reason as to why. We know they sell every LSD they make for the Tundra and the gal on the phone confirmed that. She couldn't understand why the ECTED is not yet ready, but said to check the website every so often to see what develops. Damn! I'm ready to install the rear now. Maybe I might wait...not sure now. Having that spool on demand is a cool feature especially when I need massive traction. Being on-the-fly makes it more convenient.

    Note: I just realized "Buford" was told the rear is steel. If it means anything, i'll call Sparks to see what it is made of.
    Last edited by TRDCrewMax; 11-27-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Adding 'note'

  12. #236
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    I think we are in 100% agreement. I apologize if I was unclear. I never said I did have the Auburn ECTED. I said I did not want one. Especially in the front axle.

    Leading Manufacturer of Traction Enchancing Differentials & Planetary Drives - Auburn Gear

    According to Auburn the ECTED Max works as either LSD or Locker/Spool so that could be streetable in the rear axle. Jeep and a lot of other folks are going the way of electronic LSD. I guess because I have had such great results with mechanical LSD I am distrustful of unnecessary complications. One could not lock it when on the street unless the road conditions were horrific.

    What JustDifferentials told me when I called was that the large axle housing itself is steel. I did not know that. Then he told me that the center housing, the 3rd member, or the pumpkin, the part that holds the carrier and the ring gear, the part that one removes from the truck to assemble the LSD is an iron casting.

    When I first called Auburn I spoke to a Nancy Lapp, Inside Sales Specialist, who (I think) mentioned that a ECTED was in the works for our truck. Latter when I called again I had some detailed questions about the shims and she referred me to a man (engineer not sales) who gets inside the units more often and if Nancy was not the one who spoke about the ECTED, I think he did. In development is not the same as for sale. No time frame was offered.

    To be honest, if I reflect, my old TrueTrac was just too transparent, effective and reliable that I don't want much else; except Eaton has no plans for making the TrueTrac for the Tundra. Auburn is a much smaller company then Eaton, of the two, only Auburn has ever demonstrated an interest in the Tundra aftermarket.

    RE weak holes. I just don't like drilling holes in things where they don't belong in general. A Tundra axle looks like a Ford or GM one ton axle. It is well over designed. I am sure a tiny hole if well places should not effect unit strength. But holes can let fluid out, dirt in, worse of all perhaps let water in. If I could buy a sealed unit, like the TrueTrac or Auburn Pro Series I'd never mess with drilling holes.

    Lets say you might want to launch your fishing boat. That night or the next morning you retrieve your boat and drive home. If you got a pint of water leaked into your rear axle when launching the boat let me tell you that will not make it home. Stir up all that gear lub mixed with water into frothy foam and something will lock up real quick. I don't ford streams too often, I don't have a boat to launch, I don't drive in storm water over the knee too often (but I have). But if I did have to, I'd feel much better if my axle had no extra holes drilled in it.

    That could be just me, I'm a grouchy old fart who often likes the simple old ways that have proven themselves in the past. It is OK with me if other folks drill holes in their own axle housings and I would pray that it works out for them just fine.

    I have tried several times to talk to someone inside Eaton (not easy) and when asked if they might make the TrueTrac for the Tundra and I never got any encouragement. However when I called Just Differentials today and mentioned that the TrueTrac is the only LSD unit recommended for street use, and if they made it I would buy it today. I found their answer most encouraging. I was told that Just Differentials is a big Eaton customer and that they would expect a sympathetic ear from Eaton, if Eaton was told that there was a demand.

    In Pittsburgh I never get a chance to off road any more like I did when I lived in NM. But every few winters we do get a monster storm. The roads can be very hilly. I like to have something to get around in when we get 20"+ of snow.

  13. #237
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Orange City, Fl
    Posts
    59
    Liked
    3 times
    Rep Power
    536

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Quote Originally Posted by TRDCrewMax View Post

    Note: I just realized "Buford" was told the rear is steel. If it means anything, i'll call Sparks to see what it is made of.
    There seems to be some confusion about this. The axle housing(the thing that houses the axles and bolts to the leaf springs) is STEEL. The "pumpkin" or center section which contains the gears is CAST IRON. Either part can be drilled or tapped if necessary.

  14. #238
    Rookie buford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    8
    Liked
    0 times
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    RRich,

    Thank you for the clarification. We are in agreement on the iron/steel topic. I still have reservations about drilling holes that don't belong, in anything. But my reservations are limited to what I own. I have no concern what other folks do to their trucks.

  15. #239
    Junior Member van isle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    401
    Liked
    5 times
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: Auburn LSD AVAILABLE! 10.5" and 9.5".

    Only the gear carrier is Cast the entire housing is steel. Its not like a Dana style diff that has a cast center and with pressed in steel axle tubes.
    Double cab long box 4x4 5.7 L slate grey . would have bought a limited if available with long box

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •