Under carriage Protection?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Under carriage Protection?

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Default Under carriage Protection?

Hey Gang,

New 2010 Tundra Crewmax will be mine soon (07 Crewmax going bye bye).

What is the best under carriage protection? These trucks rust alittle here and there from all the road salt and I want to keep it looking as good as possible.

What did you use and How did it work out?

Thanks

Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Under carriage Protection?

I coated mine with Fluid Film, have read some good reviews on the product and it is simple enough to do with spray cans. Can not tell you long term how it will hold up since this will be my first winter with the truck, time will tell.
    2010 DC 5.7 4X4 TRD Slate Metallic
    2004 Yamaha R6 Track
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Street
    2008 Weekend Warrior SX18 Toy Hauler
    2012 Kawasaki KX450F

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mknj235 View Post
    I coated mine with Fluid Film, have read some good reviews on the product and it is simple enough to do with spray cans. Can not tell you long term how it will hold up since this will be my first winter with the truck, time will tell.
    I'm using this also. Its stayed on so far for over a month so it seems to be good stuff. Stops the rusting process also on parts already rusted.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

WT
    Liked
    73 times
    Images

I picked up a few spray cans of fluid film just the other week and applied some under the truck and I must say it seems to hold well even through some heavy rains and looks like its doing a great job of instantly impregnating into metal or rusted parts and coating them well, it also seems to have stopped the rusting process in the spots I could see. So for now no long term reports on this yet but from some of the reviews and online researching this stuff seems like a cheap easy to apply alternative that will last a season at a time atleast if not more.

Liked
    0 times

I have always had the problem with corrosion on the under carriage...
    Driving the beach kills a vehicle from the outside in.

For years now I have used a very inexpensive solution for the undercarriage,
    Boiled Linseed Oil.
    You can pick it up at Lowe's or Home Depot, used to treat wood decks I believe or tools.

Use it in a paint sprayer with a 80-100 psi and get underneath the vehicle and get every inch as best as possible. It is very forgiving due to the oily characteristic.
    I use an old pair of cover-alls, eye protection and a dust mask.
    Do it outside becaude the product is extremely sticky till it sets.
    I would spray my vehicle in the morning and let it set overnight.
    The bad part is it will have a hot plastic grease-fishy smell for a few days till 100% cured.
    After all that it will work wonders.
    My last vehicle had just shy of 6,000 beach miles on it and you could not tell at all.

My new Tundra I went a bit overboard and first sprayed an undercoating called Rust Bullet. It was very expensive but hopefully will work. I applied it on my trailer for the beach and have no issues so far.
    After this application I will still use the Linseed oil as well
    Save water, drink Crown Royal!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Regarding Fluid Film, are you all spraying the entire under carriage or just certain exposed (nuts) areas?

WT
    Liked
    73 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TundraII View Post
    Regarding Fluid Film, are you all spraying the entire under carriage or just certain exposed (nuts) areas?
    I sprayed pretty much everything since this is a wax based lubricant and non conductive for electrical type connections or wires makes it even better. Makes the bottom side look better than new if you ask me. You can even use it to help frozen door locks and what not. I sprayed the wheel wells too. So any were you can spray a lubricant this stuff can be used and then some. Can even use it to keep the battery terminals from getting messy from oxidation.

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I just sprayed the parts that had some rust on them. Diff housing, shock mounts, cross members, a spot on the bumper. Not sure what kind of steel toyota uses but whatever it is it sucks. Brand new truck came with rust on it.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM
  2. 08-27-2010, 06:26 PM