What was this...limp mode or other?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What was this...limp mode or other?

Liked
    14 times

Default What was this...limp mode or other?

So today on the way to work I jabbed the gas a little to get on the freeway.

The power suddenly dropped off, check engine light blinked and had a fairly nasty shimmy. The shimmy almost felt like I was driving on a washboard road.....

After turning the engine off and restarting it runs perfectly...no check engine light.

I have done a fair amount of searching but no limp mode discussion said anything about the shake.

Any thoughts??
    ~JH
    2X World land speed record holder.
    H/MS #335/1335
    Gas, Fuel, Blown Gas, Blown Fuel
    Owner of 4 Tundras, and considering another....
    *My motorcycle makes more HP then your Tundra.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Default Re: What was this...limp mode or other?

you sure it was a check engine light and not the yellow traction light? the shake/shimmy sounds exactly like the traction system operating as it should, and you did jab the gas so likely the tires started to slip, when the system does engage it does cut power and apply brakes causing the truck to feel very much like a washboard road plus you'd hear some god awful marbles in a garbage disposal type pump activity going on pumping the system to control wheel spin. go find ya a wet section of road or dirt and try punching the gas and i bet you find the same exact thing going on.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    53 times

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_Fife View Post
    you sure it was a check engine light and not the yellow traction light? the shake/shimmy sounds exactly like the traction system operating as it should, and you did jab the gas so likely the tires started to slip, when the system does engage it does cut power and apply brakes causing the truck to feel very much like a washboard road plus you'd hear some god awful marbles in a garbage disposal type pump activity going on pumping the system to control wheel spin. go find ya a wet section of road or dirt and try punching the gas and i bet you find the same exact thing going on.
    My thoughts exactly. Traction control is a PITA.

Liked
    2 times

My truck did this today too, after reading all this stuff about the AIP problems I am bit concerned as well.
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 5.7L V8

Liked
    14 times

No BF, clearly it was the check engine light blinking. Had all nannys off.
    Had to drive it about 6 miles before I could stop. Idled really rough at lights and shimmed under any acceleration (almost like it was misfiring every other cylinder).

Crazy stuff.

~JH
    2X World land speed record holder.
    H/MS #335/1335
    Gas, Fuel, Blown Gas, Blown Fuel
    Owner of 4 Tundras, and considering another....
    *My motorcycle makes more HP then your Tundra.

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHotnuts View Post
    No BF, clearly it was the check engine light blinking. Had all nannys off.
    Had to drive it about 6 miles before I could stop. Idled really rough oat lights and shimmed under any acceleration (almost like it was omisfiring every other cylinder).

Crazy stuff.

~JH
    Limp wont cause the symptoms your describing. Limp will be smooth just with no power and max of 45mph. Sounds more like a miss fire condition.

04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

I believe one of our other members has been fighting a lot of problems with his S/Cd Tundra.

Look up Beasttundra (I think its his.) I do recall the truck is a lifted black truck.

Hoep you get it all straightened out... and arent you glad you did this instead of a Turbo? At least this will be warranty.

-rockstate

Liked
    172 times
    Images

This mysteriously sounds similar to Tundrabay's (Frankenstein)problem. Took the dealer weeks to figure out. It was an electrical problem related to wires near the gas tank.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    I believe one of our other members has been fighting a lot of problems with his S/Cd Tundra.

Look up Beasttundra (I think its his.) I do recall the truck is a lifted black truck.

Hoep you get it all straightened out... and arent you glad you did this instead of a Turbo? At least this will be warranty.

-rockstate
    ha. crap. didnt even pay attn to who posted it...of course he already knows what its like when u spin the tires hahaha.

let me post another reply:

its broke.

does sound like a misfire though...and a flashing CEL is for a major misfire that is capable of damaging the cats and emissions system...a not so major misfire will just set codes and a solid light..flashing light means stop it ASAP like you did. scan the codes and see what u get.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_Fife View Post
    ha. crap. didnt even pay attn to who posted it...of course he already knows what its like when u spin the tires hahaha.

let me post another reply:

its broke.

does sound like a misfire though...and a flashing CEL is for a major misfire that is capable of damaging the cats and emissions system...a not so major misfire will just set codes and a solid light..flashing light means stop it ASAP like you did. scan the codes and see what u get.

Why'd you quote me in your reply? We're tlaking about two different things for the most part

-rockstate

Rut
    Liked
    12 times

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyHotnuts View Post
    So today on the way to work I jabbed the gas a little to get on the freeway.

The power suddenly dropped off, check engine light blinked and had a fairly nasty shimmy. The shimmy almost felt like I was driving on a washboard road.....

After turning the engine off and restarting it runs perfectly...no check engine light.

I have done a fair amount of searching but no limp mode discussion said anything about the shake.

Any thoughts??
    ~JH
    Shoot Gutz (Franky) a PM. He had this exact same issue a few times while at WOT on his supercharged Tundra and pulled the code. I forget what the code was but I believe the ECU was confused regarding the A/F ratio.

I have also had it happen to me a couple of times since the supercharger was installed. Happened from a dead stop at WOT throttle and check engine light popped on. Same issue as you. Shut the truck off and everything was fine.

There was also a discussion in a thread on this forum but I couldn't find it.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1525 times

Even with all nannies disabled the ECM will chop power if it senses wheelhop during acceleration.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    0 times

Limp mode occurs when the computer reads a faulty signal or a signal out of logic from any number of sensors. When you pull the code it should be able to help you atleast trouble shoot which line of sensors. Because the signal may not be safe for the engine specification, the computer initiates a secondary program "limp mode" its designed to protect the rest of your car from over revving and faulting the tranny and powertrain.

My advice is just pull the code... sometimes it could be as easy as re-setting the code or maybe just cleaning the sensor... in your case because of the shakes I'm more inclined to think there was a misfire. If you pull the code and post it up, let us know your mods we can probably help more.

Liked
    312 times
    Images

Seems like I remember reading somewhere about some failures of the ignition coils and/or coil wiring causing something similar. I don't know if that applies to the SC version also??
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Barney_Fife Re: What was this...limp mode or other?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Dealership just replaced my cat system because of failure.
    Codes P0420, P0430

I am not certain if it is related to my problems, or they are just bad manufactured cats.
    07 Tundra Ltd. 4x4 5.7L.
    - Sold
    This is the most unreliable brand of truck too have ever existed. Buy a Raptor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast