Question When to replace Spark Plugs ?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: When to replace Spark Plugs ?

Liked
    6 times

Default When to replace Spark Plugs ?

Yesterday I had new Bridgestone Revo 2 tires ($838 out the door) put on my 4X4 DC at the local Firestone Dealer......not a pleasant experience......it took them over 5 hours after they told my 1-2 hours...but anyways they tried to sell me everything and anything including telling me I need new spark plugs as my truck now has almost 30,000 miles on it.....what do you guys think....runs great...why mess with it...not to mention I would NOT let these jokers do it.

BTW they said they cracked one of my tire motor sensors and should have one in by Wed but there is no light on the dash indicating a problem.....it was too dark and rain last night to check them.
    Silver Sky / All Black Interior 4X4 DC 4.7 L
    Truxport Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover
    Bridgestone REVO'S 265-70-18
    WeatherTech Floor Liners
    Rampage Running Boards
    Wheelskin Leather Wrap
    Auto-Dim Mirror

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    316 times
    Images

Default Re: When to replace Spark Plugs ?

The Toyota recommended replacement interval is 30,000 miles for the V-6 and 120,000 miles for all 3 V-8s. I'm not so sure about going 120k, but you certainly don't need to replace them at 30k.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I personally do not agree with 120,000 miles (at my driving rate anyway) simply because the plugs would seize into the engine and be nearly impossible to remove. My 07 only has about 33,000 miles, so it would take me over 10 years to reach that kind of mileage...way to long. I would use good judgment based on how much you drive and how you drive.

Liked
    6 times

So what you guys are saying is that TOYOTA is recommending a spark plug change at 120,000 ? ? ?

Thanks for your time,
    Bob
    WeatherTech Floor Liners
    Rampage Running Boards
    Wheelskin Leather Wrap
    Auto-Dim Mirror

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I will replace mine soon. 101k miles in 2 and half years

Liked
    0 times

Yes the 120,000 mile (or ten years), per owners manual, is the correct time or milage for a the 5.7L V8 plug replacement. Most if not all service facilities have the correct method of removing and replacing plugs that have extensive milage on them. Not to worry...

As an aside, I replaced the plugs in my 1997 Ford 150 at 110,000 miles and eight years, and they looked good. A nice even tan color with very little erosion or wear. Since the lead was removed from gasoline a few years back, all engine components have much less deposits and erosion. Exhaust systems also last a lot longer. Lead held moisture upon cool down and contributed greatly to engine deposit buildup.

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by virgh View Post
    Yes the 120,000 mile (or ten years), per owners manual, is the correct time or milage for a the 5.7L V8 plug replacement. Most if not all service facilities have the correct method of removing and replacing plugs that have extensive milage on them. Not to worry...

As an aside, I replaced the plugs in my 1997 Ford 150 at 110,000 miles and eight years, and they looked good. A nice even tan color with very little erosion or wear. Since the lead was removed from gasoline a few years back, all engine components have much less deposits and erosion. Exhaust systems also last a lot longer. Lead held moisture upon cool down and contributed greatly to engine deposit buildup.
    But I have a 4.7 L engine in my '07 DC......BTW vehicles stop using lead in 1975 (35 years ago)
    WeatherTech Floor Liners
    Rampage Running Boards
    Wheelskin Leather Wrap
    Auto-Dim Mirror

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by virgh View Post

No service facility will be changing my plugs, thanks for the information though: I would rather change them sooner anyways.

There are also other factors that can play a part in spark plug wear besides gasoline.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
    But I have a 4.7 L engine in my '07 DC......BTW vehicles stop using lead in 1975 (35 years ago)

Yes BB. 120,000 miles for the V8's and every 30,000 for the V6 is what toyota recommends. If you do them yourself, I would suggest a little sooner than 120,000

Liked
    14 times

My wife's Highlander has ~140K on it, we bought it with 36K. I replaced the plugs this Summer and they still looked good. It used the Irridium plugs which were pretty expensive, probably 4 times more than regular plugs but since you replace them 4 times less, it's a wash.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

The new style plugs really do not need replacing for a long time ... If you have over 50k miles, pull one and check it and then check it every 20k miles or so if yo are ocncerned. It will probably look like new.
    2007 Tundra 4x4, Nautical Blue, 5.7, SR5, RCSB, NUVI 660, Ipod Nano Gen 3, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, Bedrug, LT295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, SS Exhaust tip, Stebel Compact truck horn, Auto-Dim w/compass rear view mirror, Silverstar (H11ST, 9005SU, 9145ST). Boston Acoustic S60, Kicker 50x2 Amp, Dynamat, Debadged, 2.5" Lift w/ F&R Bilstein 5100, 1" LRO tapered aluminum block, LRO diff drop, Hypertech inline speedo calibrator

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSandAZ View Post
    I will replace mine soon. 101k miles in 2 and half years
    WOW! 101K, I feel better at 80k on my 07 now I know im not the only one with that many miles.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack the post!!

Ill be changing mine before or around 100k as well and will be doing all the diffs, tranny and transfer case very very soon.
    2007 dc 5.7 4x4 sr5 trd, Radiant red on black w/ TRD exhaust, Doug Thorley short tubes, 3" leveling kit, tinted windows, clear mask, line-x, billet grille, AEM brute force, Alpine, Boston Pro's and Zapco's.

Liked
    6 times

I just checked the maintenance schedule that came with my '07 4X4 DC 4.7L Tundra and it says 30,000 miles as required for emissions warranty....

I still don't think I'm going to do it though........what's your thoughts....

Bob
    WeatherTech Floor Liners
    Rampage Running Boards
    Wheelskin Leather Wrap
    Auto-Dim Mirror

Liked
    316 times
    Images

The "Replace spark Plugs" line applies to the 1GR-FE engine which is the V-6 only.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member