Question Accelerator Sensitivity

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accelerator Sensitivity

Liked
    2 times

Default Accelerator Sensitivity

Hi y'all, new to the board here and have a quick question. I recently purchased my second truck, an '07 Tundra Limited w/ the 5.7L. My first truck was a Tacoma that gave me a trouble-free 224k miles so I love all things Toyota Truck related. So far the Tundra has been great but I do have one concern.
    The accelerator seems to be super sensitive. Just the slightest touch to it and the engine will take off. Its not just me, when my wife and friend first drove it they had the same problem too. I have been able to get used to it but every once in a while my foot will slip and send the truck lurching again.
    Is there anyway to tune this down a little? There is plenty of travel available in the gas pedal, I don't think I have even come close to flooring it. I would like to make it a little less aggressive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Accelerator Sensitivity

true.throttle tip in is very sensitive on these trucks and there are no provisions to change that unfortunately.

Liked
    66 times
    Images

You may want to check the history on the truck and see when or if the recall on the gas pedal was done. There was the first fix that involved the installation of a shim which sometimes left the pedal very touchy, then there were two revisions to the pedal itself that addressed that issue. The part number for the latest revision should end with a C, I don't have the exact part number but a search will turn up plenty of threads on the issue and there are a few that have the part numbers.
    2007 Salsa Red Limited Crewmax
    Nav, Sonar, 20" Carved Wheels
    Born in TEXAS Built by TEXANS
    aFe Stage II Pro-S Dry Si
    Corsa Sport Single Cat Back Exhaust

Liked
    3 times
    Images

My '07 I traded in last month was that was after having the 'pedal' issue resolved. I had been driving it for 2.5 years prior to that and if you even BREATHED on it... you were off to the races. If I would try to say make a u-turn... or pull out into traffic, it would chug like I wasn't giving it any gas. So I'd put it to the floor almost to get it to stop chugging along.

David
    2010 Super White DCAB 5.7 4x4, Pro Comp 6" Stage 1, Pro Comp 7047 18x9 flat black, Toyo Open Country M/T 35x12.5, Hypertech speedo adjust, Undercover bed cover, AVS vents, Hood shield, Amp Bed Step, Westin step bars, Tint 5% Front, 15% back, 70% WS with 5% strip, Avic-Z2 with BT, XM, iPod, Back up, Infinity Kapa fr and rr doors, Infinity Reference 10" subs, Inifinty 4ch and sub amp, Viper with remote start.

Liked
    806 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wacked View Post
    You may want to check the history on the truck and see when or if the recall on the gas pedal was done. There was the first fix that involved the installation of a shim which sometimes left the pedal very touchy, then there were two revisions to the pedal itself that addressed that issue. The part number for the latest revision should end with a C, I don't have the exact part number but a search will turn up plenty of threads on the issue and there are a few that have the part numbers.
    I'm willing to bet you this is the case. After they did the recal work on mine (shim), the gas pedal was VERY, VERY touchy. I actually felt it was dangerous in some instances. They put the new gas pedal assembly in and I was good to go. I would check into this, you will NOT believe the difference !
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

These pedals are touchy from the factory and I hear the shim only made it worse (i.e. the people above).

The worst is coming from a 4 way stop sign on a rough road. It'll jerk you all around.

The best thing I've found to remedy the touchy pedal is this..

HEAVIER TIRES! worked like a charm but after 40K miles of the heavy tires, it still feels sensitive. I can only imagine what it feels like stock again.

-rockstate

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    124 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wacked View Post
    Another vote for this ^^
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    0 times

Snap a picture of the accelerator and post it. That way someone here can tell you whether it got the trim and shim fix of the old pedal assembly, or if it already has a new pedal assembly. Basically the pedal will seem a bit touchy if it's an original '07 or the new pedal assembly, but it's bearable. If it's been shimmed, there's a good chance it will feel slightly ridiculous.
    07 Bluestreak Tundra DC SR5 TRD+LineX+Retrax
    ITA Integra racecar
    02 Subaru WRX daily driver

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Ironically I find the Gen 1 throttle response to be more aggressive than the 5.7.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

Try these links:

NEW pedal tomorrow

New pedal owners and sport pedals

Pedal Replaced WOW! What a difference!

The new, revised pedal assembly is model or p/n: 440C

Liked
    2 times

I went digging through the paperwork and found this invoice from the original owners dealership. I cant figure out which part numbers mean which. Do I still need to go in to have the latest version installed?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recall.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	55028

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by boozinbuzz View Post
    I went digging through the paperwork and found this invoice from the original owners dealership. I cant figure out which part numbers mean which. Do I still need to go in to have the latest version installed?Click image for larger version. 

I would just go into the dealership, tell them about the pedal sensitivity, tell them you feel unsafe with it the way it is and see what they advise...

If it doesn't have the 440C pedal assy upgrade, ask them to install it...

Brad

Supporter
    Liked
    3 times

I didn't see anything regarding the pedal upgrade on your invoice...

Liked
    28 times

I had/have the same problem even after the 440C upgrade pedal. Mine lurches forward too, its so hard to find it's sweet spot. I had the shim done first, then still no luck so they switched out to the newer pedal and it still lurches. I drove around with my service tech and showed him, but he said it's normal for the Tunrda's, they all do it.... I still dont buy that excuse. He drove it as well and it didnt hop around on him, but he drove it a little old lady. Still bugs me, but thats my only complaint in 3 years, so I get by.

2007 Tundra Limited DoubleCab 5.7, Silver Sky, TRD
    Honda Super Cub

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by boozinbuzz View Post

that is the shim "fix"... you need to go to the dealer and complain and get a new pedal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast