hyper sensitve gas pedal

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hyper sensitve gas pedal

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default hyper sensitve gas pedal

Recently upgraded from my 01 tundra 4.7L 4x4 to an nice used 2007 5.7L 4x4 with low miles. Like the truck fine in general. There things I like better about the 1st gen, especially ergonomics and visibility, but overall its a very nice upgrade. I'm impressed that it actually gets better gas mileage than the older 4.7L.

I've noticed this truck has a hair trigger with the gas pedal when taking off from a stop or driving slow on a bumpy road. It's hard to accelerate smoothly from a stop or keep steady gas when driving on bumpy road as my foot inadvertently pushes down on the gas over bumps. Is it that this truck just has a ton of torque or is there something wrong? Is there an adjustment for this?
    Thanks
    David

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    124 times
    Images

Default Re: hyper sensitve gas pedal

Your truck had the recall for the gas pedal done. You'll need to get a new pedal and if you're under warranty you should be able to get it free. Just see the dealership, they should be able to search the history and see what's been done on it.
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    66 times
    Images

Sounds like the shim fix was done on the truck already, search the gas pedal threads and you will find the newest part number 0440-C i think. Dealer should replace it for free if you tell them "it feels unsafe".
    2007 Salsa Red Limited Crewmax
    Nav, Sonar, 20" Carved Wheels
    Born in TEXAS Built by TEXANS
    aFe Stage II Pro-S Dry Si
    Corsa Sport Single Cat Back Exhaust

Liked
    29 times
    Images

My trucks pedal is real touchy too, the first time i drove a tundra on a test drive i laid tire in the dealers lot accidentally. Give it like a week and you'll be used to it, i like the pedal now, truck is very responsive too which is part of the reason.

Nothing wrong with your truck though.

RADIANT RED TRD
    Color matching | aFe Power | JBA Exhaust | Pro Comp Pro Runner SS | BMF Wheels | Toyo A/T II | BHLM | Tinted |
    6000K HID | Full LED swap | Hypertech

Liked
    3 times

My '07 5.7L CM Ltd does the same thing. It really started after I had the injectors cleaned at 30k miles. I have 54k miles on it now. The truck has some power to it.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

My 07 does the exact same thing. Had the recall done on it for the pedal and it made very little to no difference. I've been told that you can take apart the pedal where it pivots and tighten it up, but I wouldn't recommend that because you don't want this beast to get stuck under power.
    5.7 4X4 Double Cab -Blue Streak TRD
    Tan Buckets - Sonar - JBL 400W - Elephant Ear Heated Mirrors, Cold Kit, Rhinoliner,
    3" ToyTec Lift,
    BFG All Terrain 305.65.18's
    on Chrome MotoMetal 951's.
    TRD Sway Bar (yes it makes a difference)

Liked
    9 times

Welcome to Tundras. They all have overly-sensitive throttle tip-in. My 2004 Tundra was like that. My 2011 Tundra is like that. Every Tundra I've driven was like that. You just have to condition yourself to feather it lightly, which is easier said than done. I don't think Toyota has done as good a job on throttle tip-in as they could have and should have done. You'd think Toyota would be more sensitive to throttle issues.

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Yeah your're not alone friend. I thought the same thing when I got my Tundra. I actually need to lubricate that pivot point if possible. I'll have to take it apart and see how it moves. Mine has become very sticky in her old age. It feels like it needs a little cleaning too.
    2007 Tundra 5.7L TRD DC SR5 Nautical Blue (88k miles)

Magnaflow 2in/2out dumped and Nitto TG A/T 295/70R18

Liked
    0 times

I also had the throttle replacement done. Too sensitive so I brought it back. Supposedly replaced with yet another unit (I think they just tightened the first replacement) and felt less sensitive for a while, but is now as hyper sensitive as before if not worse. Gong to bring it back again although I got used to it, but still not as smooth as I should be.
    I am nervous about letting someone else drive it who may not be used to having to take so much care over bumpy roads at takeoff. Heck I still fell like a teenage girl driving a stick for the first time occasionally starting off on a bumpy intersection.
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 5.7 4X4 Superwhite & debadged
    <Truxx 3 & 1 lift <> Gibson single CB exhaust <> TRD CAI <> TRD sway bar><Aries side bars ><Carriage Works replacement grill ><Firestone Ride Rites>

Liked
    172 times

Yes it sucks - but after someone gets killed with the overly touchy pedal that dufus in Transportation, Ray LaHood will be back on the tube telling everyone how unsafe Toyota's are again! Its a poor design and the replacement I got is just as bad. I'm sure they just tightened it up.
    >>big$$

========================================
    SR5 Dbl Cab 2009, 4x4, 5.7L, Flex Fuel, Desert Sand Mica, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg, Ventashades, Bugflector II, AMP Bumper Step, OEM All weather mats, Line-X, OEM Chrome Running Bds, Underseat Rear Storage, OEM Sill Protectors, Chrome Tailgate edges, Chrome Lic Plate Frame, aFe Pro Dry-S Air Cleaner, Charcoal Air Filter Mod; Visor Labels Mod; Fog Lights Mod; DRL Off Mod; Extra Loud Horn Mod, OEM SS Exhaust Tip
    "We still find the greedy hand of government thrusting itself into every corner and crevice of industry and grasping at the spoils of the multitude." - Thomas Paine (1737-1809) Patriot
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) U. S. President

Liked
    0 times

At the time of the 2nd replacement I was assured that if I was unhappy with the fix they had another pedal assembly to try and to just bring it back in. (Which made me suspicious that they were just monkeying around with the shims)
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 5.7 4X4 Superwhite & debadged
    <Truxx 3 & 1 lift <> Gibson single CB exhaust <> TRD CAI <> TRD sway bar><Aries side bars ><Carriage Works replacement grill ><Firestone Ride Rites>

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Mine isn't oversensitive, it has 0 throttle for the first 1/4 inch and then it goes. So I would be at the light and give throttle and get nothing and then step on it and woooooooo. I know how to drive it now. But when someone else drives it. Wouldn't be as a big deal if we didn't have all that power

Veteran Member
    Liked
    12 times

Same here. I let all the worried women in my life pester me into getting the recall done. Finally gave my wife the OK to do it when she took it in for an oil change while I was out of town for a couple months. She claimed the modded pedal felt fine.

I got back and tried it and could instantly tell it was EXTREMELY touchy. As I've gotten used to it I've modified my touch so I can control it and the truck never jerks, but could take some getting used to for anybody who drives it who isn't familiar with it.

Mother pestered me. Mother in law pestered me. Wife pestered me. When I said I thought the whole thing was BS and it just seemed like a bunch of people hitting the wrong pedal they refused to believe me like if it made the news and a bunch of people were claiming it it must be true. Against my better judgement I got it done. Now considering asking for a new pedal with next oil change but don't want to end up wasting the time to end up with something else that doesn't feel right.
    09 Crewmax 4x4 5.7.
    Stampede bug deflector/ventvisors
    Matching front tint.
    Stereo by Pioneer/Hertz/Eclipse/Alpine.

A left and right tail light lense, a front and rear door skin, and one passenger side paint job later, she finally says 'it's just too big, I don't think I like driving it anymore.'

Liked
    0 times

You'll get use to it.
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7

|Corsa Sport Exhaust|TRD Intake|Optitrons|Eclipse DVD/GPS|Factory 20's|Rapid Hitch|Headache Rack|Delta Toolbox|

Liked
    312 times
    Images

You could trade it in on a Ford or Chevy. They don't have enough power to notice it.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf