1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Transmission question

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Transmission question

Hi all, I have a 2007 Tundra DC with the 5.7 and 6 speed with 33,000 miles. I have been reading about the 'tap from behind' and 'rumble strip' topics and not sure if my situation is one/both/none of these. I did have the drive shaft replaced as part of a leaking input shaft issue. The sypmtom(s) my truck is having existed before and after the drive shaft replacement. (I could be wrong but it seems worse after)

When I come to a stop,after a couple seconds, it feels like the transmission downshifts. This sounds like the 'tap from behind' issue. I still sometimes look in the rearview mirror expecting to see a car that bumped into me.
    Also, after I slow down (but do not stop completely) to make a turn and then start to accelerate the transmission feels like it goes into neutral and then slams in to gear. The rpms go up while it seems to be in neutral.
    I think these are related, but haven't seen both issues described together. I'm going to take in to the dealer but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and what they did to fix it. These symptoms don't happen every time, but do happen a lot. Otherwise, the trans seems to shift up and down normally.
    For me it is now a safety issue because when I am turning left into my neighborhood and have to cross oncoming traffic, it will get your adrenaline up when you are expecting the truck to accelerate and if feels like it is in nuetral (or the torque convertor is slipping).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: Transmission question

Both of those problems were very common in newer Tacomas. I don't know if it's the same for Tundra's.

The "tap from behind" issue was caused by the slip joints in the driveshaft needing to be greased. They bind up when coming to a stop and then a few seconds later releases.

The transmission issue occured in all second gen Tacomas. There is an ECU reflash fix for that.
    Last edited by cinch; 11-04-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Liked
    0 times

Second problem sounds like symptoms of low fluid level.....Perhaps from the driveline changing procedure etc

Liked
    11 times
    Images

I think the second problem is just that 1st gear is very low(especially with tow package) and our trucks are programmed to always be in 1st below +/- 5 mph.

My truck suffers from the same symptom and I always wonder why it doesnt just know to hold 2nd gear while your rolling...and only hit 1st after complete stop (ECU must not factor lower differential gearing???)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.