Tundra Serpentine Belt Change

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tundra Serpentine Belt Change

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Default Tundra Serpentine Belt Change

At 75k miles my Serpentine belt has some minor cracking and I am thinking of replacing it. My dealer wants almost $350 for only a belt change...says the new belt is $120.00 and about 2+ hours labor to do the work. Seems a bit steep to me. My local parts store has a new Gates belt for about $65.00. Has anyone recently had a dealer replace the belt...what was the cost? Can someone write some DIY instructions with a belt routing diagram, how to access the tensioner, etc? Photos would be nice! There is nothing about the belt posted in the DIY stickies. Seems like a fairly easy job, but given the tight quarters of the engine compartment it would be nice to know a step by step procedure.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    318 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra Serpentine Belt Change

You might want to read this thread:
    changing-the-serpentine-belt-on-2007
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Thanks for the link. I didn't see that one when I went searching.......It would still be nice to hear from someone who has changed their own belt and can provide a few hints. Are the Gates belts better than the stock Toyota belts?? They are half the price compared to the Toyota belt.
    Last edited by LeeinAZ; 12-04-2010 at 07:25 PM.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    8 times

Definitely do it yourself. I think my Napa belt was ~$50 and it was on/off in 15 minutes. Take the time to sketch a routing schematic on a piece of paper before removing the belt. Other than that, I used a 1/2" breaker bar and the appropriate socket on the tensioner. Don't worry if you have to slightly bend a radiator fan blade out of the way as you release the tension.

Very simple job that I'm confident anyone can do.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Best if the skid plate is removed as you will need access from both below and above. The key to an easy swap is using the dowel pin hole in the tensioner pulley to hold the tensioner pulley out of the way in the compressed position while you remove the old belt and then put in the new belt. If you know about this little trick, the whole task is not hard at all.

For a good jobber belt I would use Gatorback.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    28 times

Dealer did mine last week for $120 for everything. I waited about 45 mins. Truck has 70k miles and it was starting to show some cracks. Wanted it done before our christmas road trip.

2007 Tundra Limited DoubleCab 5.7, Silver Sky, TRD
    Honda Super Cub

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    Best if the skid plate is removed as you will need access from both below and above. The key to an easy swap is using the dowel pin hole in the tensioner pulley to hold the tensioner pulley out of the way in the compressed position while you remove the old belt and then put in the new belt. If you know about this little trick, the whole task is not hard at all.

For a good jobber belt I would use Gatorback.

Exactly what Mr. Creosote said. Remove the skid plate and use the dowel pin hole. I used the shank end of a drill bit for the dowel pin hole, don't remember what size it was. Most of the replacement will be done from the bottom.

Good luck,
    Ken
    07 Tundra, 5.7, 4X4, ToyTec 3" level kit with rear add a leafs. Smitty Built Step Bars, Bull Bar, Pro Comp Lights, Rear Seat Mod, Falken 10Ply E Rated Tires Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

Liked
    1 times

Lee, are you sure you need to replace the belt? It looks that they start to crack very early on with no side effects. I have not read on one person that had one break yet. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I would at least wait until 100K.

???????????? Wait you are in AZ. I am sure the dry heat probably takes its toll huh????????????

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Thanks for the info guys. Just a few more questions....when facing the engine do you need to rotate the tensioner counterclockwise to release the belt? Will the belt go over the radiator fan blades without a problem? Is the Goodyear Gatorbelt, P/N 4080948, the correct belt for the 5.7??

Thanks again...I have the diagram, the tools, and now the courage to do the job...just need the belt that I will pickup tomorrow.

Liked
    8 times

With a little bit of effort pulling the skid plate isn't needed. I didn't mess with the tensioner pin either. Just leave the belt a little loose on the top right pulley, when all other pulley's are ran correctly, pull the tensioner and slide the belt on.

Easy job, no need to make it more difficult.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by kfxbryan View Post
    Lee, are you sure you need to replace the belt? It looks that they start to crack very early on with no side effects. I have not read on one person that had one break yet. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I would at least wait until 100K.

???????????? Wait you are in AZ. I am sure the dry heat probably takes its toll huh????????????
    It has been through 4 summers of 110+ heat. There are numerous cracks on the ribbed side, none of the smooth rubber side. I could probably wait a few more months but I thought I should change it while I have the chance...not wait until another summer when it's too hot to turn a wrench. Plus I have had a belt come off on another vehicle...did a lot of expensive damage to the wiring and various plastic parts. It also waited until I was about 100 miles away from civilization, out in the desert heat in August. Not fun.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I originally replaced my stock belt with the Gates K080948. It squealed like a pig on every start up. I then replaced it with a Goodyear Gator 4080945 and it has been fine. I understand that some others have success wit the Gator 4080948 as well.

I measured the Gates K080948 against the stock Dayco belt. It was a little longer, thus the cause of the squealing. The Gator 4080948 is a little shorter than the stock Dayco belt. The Gator 4080945 is even slightly shorter than the Gator 4080948.
    I did not want to take a chance on the Gator 4080948 that was the reason I used the 4080945.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1526 times

Yeep, I found they (Gatorback) did not have an exact OEM size. One was slightly shorter, the other slightly longer. I used the shorter belt.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Where are you guys buying those Gatorback belts from, I can't find anyone locally that has them? And to clarify, I have the 5.7 so I need the 4080945. I have also noticed since it is winter here now, one those really cold days I can hear my tensionor whining like a little pig until everything gets warmed up. If i get in my truck cold and take off right away as soon as the RPM's get to like 2k it is loud. I am going to replace it also.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I got my gator 4080945 through an independent auto part store. They had to order it and it took only one day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.