water and oil dont mix

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water and oil dont mix

Liked
    0 times

Default water and oil dont mix

i had my 5 k oil changed on friday, i went to check my oil level today (sunday) and the filler cap was jammed shut and stuck. i finally got it off and there was white sludge on the inside of my oil cap and all down the inside neck of the fill tube. i dont think 0W20 motor oil looks like that. my experience tells me that water is clouding up the oil but why or better yet how did water get into my fresh oil change? this is a 2010 tundra w/ a 5.7L i shouldnt be having problems like this. never had this w/ my old tundra. what is going on here before i ream the service dept a new one.
    Line-X Bedliner
    Rear Backup Camera and Mirror
    TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Underseat Storage
    BFG All-Terrain K/O's 275/65/18

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    77 times

Default Re: water and oil dont mix

do you live in a cold area? Do you make alot of short drives? Does the engine not get to normal operating temps? Condensation can accumulate fast in these conditions..

Liked
    31 times
    Images

What he said...

Normal.. just drive a bit longer every once and a while.

-rockstate

Liked
    53 times

You removed your filler cap to check the oil?

Liked
    0 times

i used the dipstick to check the oil level. the dipstick level had the oil line in the middle, but above the oil line was this white cloudy looking viscous residue. i inspected the filler cap and it was jammed stuck. but once i got it off i saw white cloudy oil on the inside of my filler cap and all down the inside portion of my filler tube. i've been driving a while and have never seen that anywhere near my oil filler /cap/ dipstick. i do drive a bit to get to and from work. round trip is about 30 miles mostly highway. i park in the garage and i'm a libra if that answers a few more questions. lol
    i am off to the dealership today to have them check it out. i just dont know how water got in there. was it poured in there? did their oil tank have water in there? dont know! but they need to make it right.
    Line-X Bedliner
    TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Underseat Storage

Liked
    53 times

15 miles should be enough to warm your motor completely up. Something doesn't seem quite right.

Liked
    0 times

When the cap was jammed shut, was it on correctly? Was wondering if there was a way moisture could have made it past the cap.

Liked
    143 times

Coupla pics I found on the internet of the Dodge 4.7L

Does it look like this?

or this?

If so, it's emulsified oil. I get this kinda stuff on the inside of my plastic Dodge 4.7L oil filler neck (top photo) and in the cap (bottom photo), because the PCV valve is attached to it, which sucks that moisture laden crankcase air up through it. It is also in the direct airstream from the radiator fan, so is kept cooler than the engine, which adds to the problem especially this time of year.

Never expected the Tundra 5.7L to be prone to that. You may want to shroud your oil filler neck, or cover it with some sort of insulation wrap.

Steve J
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I guess most everyone has had the same questions or concerns. Mine would have mostly been the condensation or most of all the dealers side. Did they have any changes in the recent future to their facilities oil tanks...etc...

I would suggest NOT reaming some rear-end yet. Just go in and calmly explain the issue and see what they say. Then, if nothing gets done go in and getch' ya' some!
    2007 Desert Sand 4.7 DCB Long-Bed, Pro Comp Stage 2 6" lift, 35" BFG A/T's on 18x9" 5x5.5 backspacing XD Series Monsters, Black Headlight mod, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags,Extang Full-tilt bed cover Tundra seat covers by Zega Designs, DashZRacing Eagle Eye L.E.D. smoked tail lights, Smoked 3rd brake light, AMI Locking gas door last but not least... De-badged. Newly added aacstyle.com SMD Oracle Halo kit! <<<<<BOY! Does THIS need to be updated! HA! SInce I have been here a while ago due to a crazy life!! I aquired a couple of sponsors! AAC/Oracle, Go Rhino! With great pricing from Bushwacker and Expedition One for a killer set of bed racks that will be installed within the next week! Not to forget that I have since installed Oracle's colorshift 2.0 halo kit and their 3-chip red interior lighting!

Liked
    0 times

I hope I'm wrong here, but that sure reads like a head gasket leak allowing cooling fluid into the oil. I hope i'm wrong. That symptom requires immediate attention.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If you were getting antifreeze in the oil, would you be able to smell it in the oil?
    2011 DC Rock Warrior
    Go Rhino Dominator II nerf bars

Liked
    0 times

Don't know about your dealer but unless you specified 0-20 (syn), most use 5-20 (dino) because its cheaper. When I was using dino in my '05, it would get that way (condensation collects in the filler cap and fill tube) during cold weather. It was minimal when using synthetic.

Liked
    57 times

It is completely normal. The 4.0 V-6 that Toyota makes is VERY prone to this and is quite a common issue. It probably doesnt look quite like those filler necks posted. The worst I have seen is looking a little like chocolate milk. I have never seen the pictures on any toyota product like those posted, even on my 4runner 3.0 that blew a head gasket.

Liked
    0 times

fungus has it correct, the dealer said it is common w/ the toyota 5.7L engines. it looks mild in comparison to the dodge pics...mine had no build up on it. just a light milky/creamish colored oil.
    the oil cap was on way too tight but had a good seal and was not cross threaded...i'd be some pissed if it was.
    they used 0W20 on this oil change which i believe to be synthetic.
    i dont believe they have any problems w/ their bulk oil tank, they checked it out and said it was fine. the temps here in new england are cold but i keep it in a garage.
    atleast i have it noted on my receipt that i brought it in for that reason w/ the oil. i'm baffled how condensation in my engine oil is ok though. i may want to change the oil every 3k miles compared to the recomended 5k . i did that in my last tundra and the motor gave me no problems.

PS. no a$$es were reamed or harmed in the service dept. while checking into this engine oil problem. point taken.
    Last edited by 01tundrataylor; 12-08-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Line-X Bedliner
    TRD Rear Sway Bar
    Underseat Storage

Liked
    806 times
    Images

The fact that it was on your dip stick ALSO, is something I would be concerned with. I would get it to the dealer right away. If you wait, they can claim that something happened to it between the time they did the oil change and when you brought it in.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.