Sway bar; TRD or Hellwig?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sway bar; TRD or Hellwig?

Liked
    0 times

Default Sway bar; TRD or Hellwig?

Guys,
    I just got a 2011 Doublecab Tundra and thinking about a sway bar. Which is the best, Hellwig or TRD?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    77 times

Default Re: Sway bar; TRD or Hellwig?

I love my TRD sway bar.. no clue about the other brand...

TRDsparks.com has them cheap..

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

+1 on the TRD sway bar

Liked
    3 times

+2. I painted mine black. I taped the TRD so the red would show after painting it. I used light sandpaper, primed it with Krylon primer and painted with Krylon Professional in glossy black. I also taped the dogbone shaped piece so the red would show after painting and painted the middle part glossy black.

Looks good on my black '07 CM Limited.

I can tell the difference in how my big rig handles, especially on turns on the street and when the highway makes a sharp curve. The truck hugs the turn and the road.
    2007 Crewmax Limited, Black w/Red Rock Leather interior, sun/moon roof, electric rear window, 6k HID driving, fog lamps, V-LEDs interior & exterior, sprayed bedliner, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit retractable bedcover, TRD swaybar, AMP Research BedStep, 2 pair Stebel Big Daddy Horns, Ranch Hand Sport Rear Bumper w/sensors.

Liked
    0 times

Anyone running the TRD sway bar and towing a trailer with it? Just wondering if it helps in towing situations, not that the truck is bad stock but any improvement would be nice.
    2010 DC 5.7 4X4 TRD Slate Metallic
    2004 Yamaha R6 Track
    2010 Aprilia RSV4 Street
    2008 Weekend Warrior SX18 Toy Hauler
    2012 Kawasaki KX450F

Liked
    119 times
    Images

Oh yeah, I love my TRD Rear Sway Bar from TRDSPARKS.COM! They have the best customer service for sure!

Driving A Dream!
    Slate Metallic SR5 4X2 5.7 Crewmax/15% tinted windows/ navigation/back-up camera/JBL System w-Sub/ steering wheel audio controls/Bluetooth/LineX/bed extender/Weathertechs/bucket seats/moonroof/ VIPER 5900/fully debadged/AVS Visors/Tundra Sills/Uncle Mike's Paddle Holster Mount/UnderCover/Carriage Works Polished Grille 5-Piece/PUTCO Pedals/Sport Shifter/ Smoked Headlights-Taillights-3rd Brake Light/ Tinted PIAA Fog Lights/22" Color Matched KMC 652Wheels/ 305-45-22 General Grabbers/Borla Dual Split Rear Exit 2 in and 2 Out Exhaust/Billet 14" Antenna/ Rear Sway Bar/VLEDS in Cab,Cargo/painted TRD CAI and engine cover/AutoDimming Mirror/Headrest DVD Players/Magnetic Gun Mount/Doug Thorley Long Tubes/URD Rear Sim/Stebel Big Daddy Horn/TR Lowering Kit 2051/TRDSPARKS Fender Flares/Plasma Glow LED Kits Under and Wheel Wells/Color Matched Mirror Caps *Clazzios To Come

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I'm running the Hellwig sway bar and have no complaints.
    LRO 3/1, Pro Force Dual Exhaust, Hellwig Stabilizer, Katzkin Leather, Heated Front Seats, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Billet Aluminum Grill, 20x8.5 KMC Skitch's, 33x12.50 Toyo MT's, DDM Head/Fog Lights and OE Fender Flares.

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1525 times

I've used Hellwig bars in the past and the fit and quality was embarrassing.

That said, they claim to have redesigned their parts and have sold a few to members here without serious issue, so they may deserve a shot.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Liked
    53 times

TRD here.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Creosote View Post
    I've used Hellwig bars in the past and the fit and quality was embarrassing.

That said, they claim to have redesigned their parts and have sold a few to members here without serious issue, so they may deserve a shot.
    I have the Hellwig on my 07 DC. I had no issues installing the sway bar along with their air bags. Just dropped in the Corsa Sport exhaust I got for Christmas. I have no complaints with the Hellwig, I like the color better than the TRD, not a fan of the red.
    I tow my 24' dovetail car trailer with an 85 4Runner built for wheeling. Tows great, noticed a big difference without the sway bar, much more body roll.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mknj235 View Post
    Anyone running the TRD sway bar and towing a trailer with it? Just wondering if it helps in towing situations, not that the truck is bad stock but any improvement would be nice.
    I have the TRD and no difference in towing. I tow a 6000 # TT BTW.
    2010 Silver sky metallic Crewmax limited platinum 4x4
    Black predator tube steps
    3M protection
    Spray-in bedliner
    Retrax bed cover
    Weathertech floor liners
    TRD Sway Bar

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Mknj235 View Post
    I have the TRD and tow a fifth wheel. It works great without the trailer. Made not much of a difference with the trailer. If you are having sway issues with the trailer, that is more likely your set up. What set up do you have for leveling and sway control, and what is your trailer?
    2007 DC 4x2 5.7 SR5

Liked
    2 times

I have the TRD sway bar and I tow. I don't know if it helps or not since I put the sway bar on before I started towing the heavy trailer.
    --------------------------------------------------
    NRA Life Member
    2008 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L 4x4 Silver Sky
    Tow Mirrors
    Line-X
    Toyota Backup camera/monitor
    TRD rear sway bar
    Electrochromatic mirror
    Husky liners

Liked
    3 times
    Images

TRD sway bar! No problems with mine!
    Black Widow

2/4 Mcgraughy's spindle drop
    Front grill, LED in rims
    LED taillight,LED 3rd Brakelight
    LED's Interior lights,22" Incubus rims
    LED Brakelights, TRD swaybar
    TRD Supercharger, TRD intake
    Priana Body Kit,VIS racing hood
    Doug thorley Long tube headers
    EBC Brakes and Rotors
    Custom 2 1/2 exhaust

Liked
    188 times

The Helwig has some adjustment options which is nice. But I don't think nice enough to justify the big price difference. There was a group buy price done awhile ago but they won't repeat it. I asked over a year ago and they said no. I have held off on getting a bar hoping they would make theirs affordable.
    Maybe we should get a number of how many would be interested and I would be willing to pursue it once again. If it fails, I will just get the TRD which is a good bar.

For trailers, roadmasters are suppose to be a helper spring and sway bar combined. Their video looks impressive. But I don't have a 4 ton trailer to test with

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast