Ecoboost (Test Drive)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ecoboost (Test Drive)

Liked
    0 times

Default Ecoboost (Test Drive)

I was having Sirius Sattelite radio put in my tundra today when they bought an ecoboost f-150 for people to test drive to the shop I was having the install done I didn't test drive it but has anybody here driven one and what did you think? (I would love to know how an ecoboost stands up to a 5.7L Iforce)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Default Re: Ecoboost (Test Drive)

The 5.0 motor in the F150 is ALMOST as fast. I'd suspect the EB would beat the Tundra maybe by a few tenths. Sweet motor, but my money is on the 5.0 for decent gas mileage (better than the 6.2) with a good amount of power. I think for the first time in a segment, of any automaker, Ford has hit the nail on the head with the 5.0 for a "Mid engine." It is mid level, makes good power, and has good mix of economy too. IMO that's what a mid engine should be. Not one that's down on power but has a few mpg better than the big engine, and not one that's down on power, but gets the same mileage as the big boy.

-rockstate

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dogstate View Post
    I'd suspect the EB would beat the Tundra maybe by a few tenths.
    It won't dogstate. As much as I like Ford (I know you do too). The only Ford that will stand a chance against the Tundra 5.7 is the 6.2.
    2007 Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 TRD 5.7

|Corsa Sport Exhaust|TRD Intake|Optitrons|Eclipse DVD/GPS|Factory 20's|Rapid Hitch|Headache Rack|Delta Toolbox|

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT. View Post
    It won't dogstate. As much as I like Ford (I know you do too). The only Ford that will stand a chance against the Tundra 5.7 is the 6.2.
    Really? I was purely speculating based off a video I saw the other day.

Some guy posted this on the Ford forum. This is a 5.0 ford vs a Tundra with "CAI and exhaust" or so they think. Definitely exhaust. Either way, the Ford got the jump and held it until the high rpms/speed.

That 5.0 is stout. The 6.2 will be even better, but at a HUGE cost for gas mileage.

-rockstate

Liked
    31 times
    Images

They say 6.8 0-60 for the SCrew EB engine. 7.3 for a 5.0. 7.15 for the 6.2. Respectable numbers for the pig the F150 is.

First Drive Review: 2011 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost V-6 and 5.0 V-8, Part 2 - PickupTrucks.com News

-rockstate

Liked
    53 times

Either way, the Ford got the jump and held it until the high rpms/speed.
    Um, isn't the whole point of racing to see who is in the lead at the end?? ie, high rpms/speed...
    tun dra likes this.

Liked
    1 times

Respectable numbers for the pig the F150 is.
    has hell frozen over? I never thought I'd see the day when someone actually tries to draw a comparison where the TUNDRA is the lightweight by comparison. My 06 is a freaking bus!!! An o7+ is an even bigger bus that if any larger would need to be articulated to drive around town
    Last edited by krochus; 01-20-2011 at 08:59 AM.
    WARNING!Overexposure to the above post is known by the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm

Liked
    20 times

Really? I was purely speculating based off a video I saw the other day.

Some guy posted this on the Ford forum. This is a 5.0 ford vs a Tundra with "CAI and exhaust" or so they think. Definitely exhaust. Either way, the Ford got the jump and held it until the high rpms/speed.

That 5.0 is stout. The 6.2 will be even better, but at a HUGE cost for gas mileage.

-rockstate
    Am I missing something? The Tundra clearly pulls away from that F150. Sure, the first few hundred feet the Ford gets the jump but that could easily be the driver.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    Um, isn't the whole point of racing to see who is in the lead at the end?? ie, high rpms/speed...
    some people like torque so whoever gets ahead at the beginner is the winner does not matter if they cross the line or not. Its like street racing from a light people get adrenaline rush from the light going green and then they pull ahead from somebody even if the other person is not racing they feel that rush of torque..then they stop at the next light to do it again....

Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by JOCKTHEGLIDE View Post
    some people like torque so whoever gets ahead at the beginner is the winner does not matter if they cross the line or not. Its like street racing from a light people get adrenaline rush from the light going green and then they pull ahead from somebody even if the other person is not racing they feel that rush of torque..then they stop at the next light to do it again....

Huh? That race is dead even in the begining and the tundra clearly comes out on top in the end. I don't get what you are saying about being ahead in the begining. The guy in the Ford hits the horn in the process of nailing the throttle. I can almost promise you he had atleast half a second throttle advantage.

Fyi, that exhaust sounds horrible (imo).

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by steve&steph View Post
    Huh? That race is dead even in the begining and the tundra clearly comes out on top in the end. I don't get what you are saying about being ahead in the begining. The guy in the Ford hits the horn in the process of nailing the throttle. I can almost promise you he had atleast half a second throttle advantage.

Fyi, that exhaust sounds horrible (imo).
    Not to mention, if that Tundra did indeed have a CAI and exhaust it probably is hurting the low end torque. A totally stock Tundra would have pulled that Ford from the get go.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Notice I said the ford held it UNTIL the high rpms/speed. Meaning, the Ford was walking with the Tundra UNTIL then.

Sheesh, English people. Rone, yes, that is the point. Can't you guys just respect the fact that Ford finally put a good motor in their trucks? It's as clear as day that the Ford is almost as fast as that truck. From a dig the Tundra might pull away a bit better even.

What this video proves is that Ford finally has a good transmission that can deliver this power, and they have a motor worth a damn. I know most of you guys want every single Ford and Ford owner to die because they made inferior decisions in vehicular choices, but that's not the case any more. Sorry, but the kool-aid has been spiked with some crappy vodka.

And yes, while the Ford may not be as fast in stock form, you run a tune, CAI, and exhaust on one of those motors and you'll be in a whole new ballpark. The entire aftermarket will be there for that truck far before the Tundra develops anything worth a damn in a tuner.

-rockstate

Liked
    15 times
    Images

why are we having so many eco boost topics tht are clearl off topic being postd here? i dont care if its a super duper v6 i want a V8....regardless of power output. theres a stigma in my head about V6 fullsize trucks and it aint going away.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable

Liked
    31 times
    Images

I'm with Barney. You won't see me buying a V6 any time soon in a pickup.

-rockstate

Liked
    53 times

Notice I said the ford held it UNTIL the high rpms/speed. Meaning, the Ford was walking with the Tundra UNTIL then.

Sheesh, English people. Rone, yes, that is the point. Can't you guys just respect the fact that Ford finally put a good motor in their trucks? It's as clear as day that the Ford is almost as fast as that truck. From a dig the Tundra might pull away a bit better even.

What this video proves is that Ford finally has a good transmission that can deliver this power, and they have a motor worth a damn. I know most of you guys want every single Ford and Ford owner to die because they made inferior decisions in vehicular choices, but that's not the case any more. Sorry, but the kool-aid has been spiked with some crappy vodka.

And yes, while the Ford may not be as fast in stock form, you run a tune, CAI, and exhaust on one of those motors and you'll be in a whole new ballpark. The entire aftermarket will be there for that truck far before the Tundra develops anything worth a damn in a tuner.

-rockstate
    You said it yourself, the F150 got the jump and the Tundra had to make up that lost time... which makes it look like the F150 is walking with the Tundra. If they'd hit it at the same time, the Tundra would have pulled away from the start just like it did at the end of the video. It's decent for a V6, but still has a ways to go before it's equal to the 5.7L.

I think we'll see a lot more turbos on vehicles to meet CAFE regulations while still producing good power, but it'll be interesting to see how it holds up to heavy use.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast