New Second-Gen owner and question on Step Boards

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New Second-Gen owner and question on Step Boards

Liked
    2 times

Default New Second-Gen owner and question on Step Boards

Hello all,

Well, today I became the owner of a second Tundra - a 2011 Crewmax 4WD 5.7L with TRD Off-Road package. I am still keeping my 2006 Double-Cab Limited 4WD, so now I own both a first and second generation Tundra!

One question I know some of you have faced: My truck came without running boards. I really like the look of the brushed stainless steel OWM step boards, but the selling dealer told me that these would be *very* expensive to install as it would cost more to install them than it would cost had the truck came from the factory with them.

I *really* need step boards, and do not want "Tube" steps - the wife needs a decent step board to assist getting into the vehicle (She's partially handicapped). Has anyone purchased and installed the OEM Brushed stainless steel step boards after purchasing your Tundra, and if so, how much did it cost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Default Re: New Second-Gen owner and question on Step Boards

I installed the Westin Sure-Grip (brushed aluminum) running boards last week on my Dbl cab. I was more into functionality rather than looks as my 7-year old son was having a hard time egress/ingressing the vehicle especially during the rainy/snowy days here in the NorthWest so I decided to give these a try. He gives it 2 thumbs up. Installation was simple and they fit perfectly, but most importantly the surface of the boards are wide and non-slip. $320 shipped from Amazon and received in less than a week.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Installation shouldn't be an issue, as long as you are able to lay on your back and tighten a few bolts. I also bought a pair of westin's, but the platinum ovals from amazon as well ($298 shipped). Installed by myself in under an hour. Just take out the old bolts, tighten the new ones with a ratchet, then lay the bar on top of the brackets and screw it in. Need to be able to easily lift about 20 lbs. It's honestly a very easy install, I don't know why they'd tell you it will cost so much to install it. There are several places around me that sell the steps and if you buy them from them they will even install for free.

Liked
    16 times
    Images

theres always some in the classifieds section and as stated they just bolt up..the installation excuse is just BS...the holes are already there and everything. if u can turn a wrench you can do it.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable

Liked
    3 times
    Images

I don't know if they would fit your 2011, but I have a set of OEM brushed stainless boards I'm planning on selling. I'm planning on getting some PowerSteps when I get back home, I'm currently in Arizona for work. I'm leaving tomorrow and driving all day, so it would probably be the middle or end of the week before I would be able to do something. I have no idea what they are worth or what it would cost to ship.
    Last edited by thewiz; 01-23-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    08' CrewMax Limited w/ Red Rock interior, Solar Guard Tint, Factory Nav w/ Lockpick AV mod and Sony DVD Player, WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners, 20x9 Method Racing Street wheels, 305/55/20 Nitto Terra Grapplers, front leveling kit, A.R.E. LSII Tonneau cover and AMP Research Powerboards. "Toyota, oh what a feeling!"

Liked
    3 times

I wouldn't go with the Toyota brushed stainless steel ones. I had them installed two months ago when I bought my truck and two of the steps have already broken off of the oval tubes. They cost me $300 when purchased with the truck and I believe they are about $475 when purchased seperately.

Liked
    0 times

Thewiz. I am interested on your step boards. I have a 09 DC rock warrior and really want the oem brushed alum. I have Chrome OEM boards I want to sell. PM me and let me know. Thanks! BTW do u have any pix?
    2009 5.7L Rock Warrior, Black, cold/ tow package

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm not a fan of the factory boards either. the plastic steps break off easily and Toyota refuses to sell plastic replacements separately. Also the stainless steel they use is the lowest grade of steel (I'm still not convinced they're real stainless steel)

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

The OP is asking about the running boards, not the step bars. I have the running boards on my '11 Crewmax Plat. and I can tell you they are attached VERY differently from the step BARS out there. More than just a couple bolts. Looks like you'd have to pull some of the wire run brackets off and either re-route them or maybe the running boards come with some sort of different bracket. That said, no dealership should charge more than the 625 bucks that the running boards cost, that price is the installed price at both the local dealers around here. The regular running boards (non stainless) are about 425 installed. Both appear to attach the same way. I can echo what the others said, the stainless ones have plastic pads that look like they'd come off easily. I have the solid running boards (non stainless) and they are rock solid. Here's a pic:

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by btanchors View Post
    Hello all,

Well, today I became the owner of a second Tundra - a 2011 Crewmax 4WD 5.7L with TRD Off-Road package. I am still keeping my 2006 Double-Cab Limited 4WD, so now I own both a first and second generation Tundra!

One question I know some of you have faced: My truck came without running boards. I really like the look of the brushed stainless steel OWM step boards, but the selling dealer told me that these would be *very* expensive to install as it would cost more to install them than it would cost had the truck came from the factory with them.

I *really* need step boards, and do not want "Tube" steps - the wife needs a decent step board to assist getting into the vehicle (She's partially handicapped). Has anyone purchased and installed the OEM Brushed stainless steel step boards after purchasing your Tundra, and if so, how much did it cost?
    I found a nice pair, used, here, for 200. I'm happy with them except they have been full of slush, ice and mud since I put em on.

If you have patience, you will find a pair here. Don't confuse them with the Iron Cross look alikes, they are NOT the same. The OEM boards new are prohibitively expensive though.

Good luck ...
    1998 4x4 RC Tacoma - now nicely crushed into a 3x3 foot cube. Thanks Toyota! (11 years!)

2008 Slate Metallic 4x4 Tundra Double Cab LB - Model 8346 5.7L
    Tow Package and Cold Weather Package
    OEM Bedliner & OEM Brushed Stainless OEM Running Boards
    Weathertech Rubber Mats
    Driver Information Switches
    OEM Fog Lights with Dash Switch (Anytime Modification)
    Backup Camera with Flip Down Monitor

Bought Halloween of 2010 w/ 17k - Halloween of 2014 has 68k - 0 issues - ZERO

Liked
    83 times
    Images

I have brushed stainless step bar installed the one day after I bought the truck. It went through a lot of abuse in the past 8 months, recently from ice, mud, etc. My wife even had it slide over an ice mound. Everything seems fine.
    TRD-X likes this.
    2010 Toyota Tundra, Crewmax, 4x4, 5.7, TRD Off Road, SR5, Silver Sky Metalic

Brushed Stainless Steel Stepboards, Tinted Windows, Pioneer AVIC Z140BH, Pioneer ND-BC5 Rearview Camera, Metra Axxess Steerinng Wheel Control Interface, Line X Extra with Color Match, ValuGard Undercoat, ValuGard Rust Inhibitor, AVS Window Visor, Clazzio (black/red), TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, TRD Intake, Toyota Hood Protector, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, AMI TRD Third Light Brake Cover, Westin Ultimate Bull Bar, Westin Chrome Off-Road Lights, TRD License Plate Frame, B&W Tow & Stow, Moto Metal 961, Bushwacker fender flares, G-Tek Door Sill Protector, BAKFlip F1, Momo Combat Evo Red Shifter, Diode Dynamics Accent (Console, cupholder, pocket, and door pull inserts), Wheelskin Euro-Tone Steering Wheel Cover, OME 614 kit, LR UCA, Undercover SwingCases, Toyota Tow Mirrors

Liked
    0 times

You need to find someone a little higher on the totum pole at your dealer. That install crap they are giving you is BS! You can put em on inside of 10 min. All you do us srew in 4 bolts. Holes are already there! Find someone to throw a fit with at the dealer.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

boylem002 I was wondering where you bought your running boards? I am looking for a set.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Where did you get your boards from?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Pfrancish:

Those running boards look to be Westins. I got mine from Autoanything. They were pretty easy to install.

HTH.

Joe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.