Roll Call: A.I.P. Plugs Disconnect?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll Call: A.I.P. Plugs Disconnect?

Liked
    0 times

Default Roll Call: A.I.P. Plugs Disconnect?

Just want to get a quick feedback from those who have disconnected the plugs for the A.I.P. and at what miles were it disconnected?

I disconnected mine at 62K miles.

Thanks!
    Glenn

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Default Re: Roll Call: A.I.P. Plugs Disconnect?

Disconnected at 1K miles, now at 13K.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

whats the point of this?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Disconnected mine at 37,500, black electrical tape over CEL
    Mike

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rangerbrown View Post
    whats the point of this?
    to turn your check engine light on.

oh and to keep the pumps from working and opening the valves...thus no water being sucked in and no corrosion on the valves, thus saving a couple grand by not having to replace them.

kinda a bad work around but at this point i think its the only work around thats available. i just cant stand the thought of having the CEL on....

anyone know if the valves are going to get stuck in the "open" position so as to have issues when you have the annual inspections and have to plug them in to get it to pass? u know, stuck open or something due to non use...
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_Fife View Post
    to turn your check engine light on.

oh and to keep the pumps from working and opening the valves...thus no water being sucked in and no corrosion on the valves, thus saving a couple grand by not having to replace them.

kinda a bad work around but at this point i think its the only work around thats available. i just cant stand the thought of having the CEL on....

anyone know if the valves are going to get stuck in the "open" position so as to have issues when you have the annual inspections and have to plug them in to get it to pass? u know, stuck open or something due to non use...
    How about you read one of the many threads that answer that question?
    My truck squeaks. I want a new one. I mean... I know it's made from mass produced parts... I know things move... I know I want a new one... that's all. I won't take the 2 hours to investigate and resolve the solution... I want the dealer to fix it... no... I want a new truck!

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toy Collector View Post
    How about you read one of the many threads that answer that question?

Well to be fair I don't think anyone has enough miles yet to determine if the valve could get stuck closed from non-use. I know I've got 12K on mine with the pumps disconnected, but its really going to just be a time thing with that. But the valves should not corrode if the system is not functioning so there should not be a problem if its hooked back up again. If everything works as we think then that should occur, but only time and miles will tell if that is true.

Edit for poor reading. If there was a concern I would be more concerned about the valves freezing close from non use rather than if they open and then stick from non-use. But only time will tell for either one. I'll never hook mine back up for the life of the truck unless its for testing for some of the folks here.
    Last edited by bill3508; 02-28-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    2 times

Disconnected at 5,000 miles. I don't care how many CELs light up.

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    122 times
    Images

But if your CEL is on, how will you know if you have another CEL for another problem?
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MaylonTRD View Post
    But if your CEL is on, how will you know if you have another CEL for another problem?

All the major components have their own gauges and own warning lights. If something small fails though, you won't unless you read the codes or notice something wrong. Regarding how few other problems there are with these trucks throwing lights, I know a few have had 4wd issues throwing a combination of lights, and the wheel speed sensors freezing, there really have been few if any other problems that have thrown a cel. The AIP is the major problem on these trucks. My point is that other issues are small and even the ones I posted above will trigger different lights to alert you to other problems.

Liked
    83 times
    Images

EXACTLY why I don't want to disconnect, stillhave lots of warrenty left, maybe as I near its end.

Liked
    15 times
    Images

well in all honestly, a CEL rarely is for a real problem anyway. its 99 percent of the time for some sensor that is supposed to detect a problem but in reality its the sensor itself that went belly up.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

2010 Tundra Blue Streak Metallic
    6' Pro Comp Lift
    -Traction Bar-Skid Plate-Diff Mount
    N-Fab Running Boards N-Fab Light Bar
    AFE Stage II Cold Air Intake, Throttle Body Spacer
    Magnaflow Cat-back Dual Split Rear Exit
    Hid 10000k, 10000k, 10000k
    325/60/20 BFM , Nitro Terra Grapplers
    Sprayed Box Liner
    Bushwacker Fender Flairs

Liked
    1 times
    Images

Mine started tripping the CEL for a stuck closed valve around 60K miles so I unplugged the pumps. Toyota tech checked to make sure the valves were fully closed on the techstream computer; so we just left the pumps unplugged because I'm not paying to have the valves replaced. I'm over 72k miles now, no problems, I leave my Scan-gauge plugged in all the time so if there is another code tripped I can see it on the Scan-gauge.

Hope that helps...
    2007 White Tundra, DC, 5.7L, 2WD, Towing package, Rhino Liner, TRD S/C, TRD Exhaust, Unichip with Hesco tune, Dyno Jet Wideband, Auburn LSD, Platinum Wheels wrapped with Yokohama 305s.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

so let me get this right if this failure happens i can simply unplug, live with a cel and not put up with dealers excuse, bs, things i did to make this happen. or does it need to be unplugged prior too? unplugged if the damage is minimal? or unplugged with damage already? what if the valves aren't fully closed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast