DIY How to install OEM Tundra Bedliner

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to install OEM Tundra Bedliner

Liked
    2 times

Default How to install OEM Tundra Bedliner

Greetings!

This is post is about how to install a drop in OEM style Factory bedliner by Toyota. I purchased the bedliner at my dealership for three hundred bucks. I initally wanted a spray in bedliner, but after reading that a spray in could negate your warranty on new vehicle, I opted for the drop in. I also took in consideration that if I ever wanted to pull the bedliner out, I could easily do that. Also, if the bedliner ever busts, I can just go get a new one!

There are 3 parts to your bedliner, the tailgate piece, bedliner, and tailgate spacers.

There are four primary steps to installing this OEM style bedliner:

1. Clean out your truck bed thoroughly with some water, do really need to use soap as this could cause your vehicle to form rust spots if water pools up underneath it. The chemicals in soap if left on there can cause your bed to rust. After wiping it out, I suggest letting it air dry for about 15 minutes or so, if your vehicle iis in a garage, you can do like I did and immediately install as my garage dries things out really fast!

2. Once complete drying, you will need a T-30 Torque screw to unloosen the bolts that hold the tailgate piece together. There are a total of 8 of them. Below is a pic of it. Once you have unloosened the screws, put the black tailgate liner on, matching up the holes, then reinstall the screws, washers, and plastic tailgate spacers and screw in, dont overtighten!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/lasiter/Desktop/Auto%20loan/Need%20a%20T-30%20torque%20screwdriver%20for%20these.jpg[/IMG]

3. Once you have completed the tailgate, pick up the bedliner, (preferably with 2 people) I did mine with the old lady, and then drop it in, pick a side and angle it so the lip of the liner goes in one side first. Once in place, then slide the other side in place. You will have to pick up the middle of the bedliner in order to cause the left side to have enough room to pop in. ( This part is a pain in the butt as the plastic is not real flexible. Be sure to get the back lip portion over first before you do this. (Tip: Have one person pull the middle up, which causes the opposite side to cave in towards the middle, makes it easier to pop in place)

4. Once it is in place, check the functionality of the tailgate to make sure it closes, and you are done!
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/lasiter/Desktop/Auto%20loan/Completed%20Install.jpg[/IMG]

For those of you that are thinking about bedliners, this is a great alternative to a spray in bedliner that will look good for years to come. I have one in my sport trac, (factory OEM) that I have had in there for 8 years and it still looks like new!

Hope this helps whoever is considereing getting one, I love this one so far!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    47 times
    Images

Default Re: How to install OEM Tundra Bedliner

You can not locally host your pictures on your hard drive and expect others to see them. Need a third party host site like Photobucket or similar.

2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)

Liked
    2 times

For some reason the pics did not post, see the pics attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Completed Install.jpg 
Views:	1650 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	59507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Need a T-30 torque screwdriver for these.jpg 
Views:	1392 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	59508  

Liked
    47 times
    Images

Looks good!

2010 Tundra DC 4.6L 4x4 (SOLD)

Liked
    6 times

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTundraMan View Post
    Greetings!

This is post is about how to install a drop in OEM style Factory bedliner by Toyota. I purchased the bedliner at my dealership for three hundred bucks. I initally wanted a spray in bedliner, but after reading that a spray in could negate your warranty on new vehicle, I opted for the drop in. I also took in consideration that if I ever wanted to pull the bedliner out, I could easily do that. Also, if the bedliner ever busts, I can just go get a new one!

There are 3 parts to your bedliner, the tailgate piece, bedliner, and tailgate spacers.

There are four primary steps to installing this OEM style bedliner:

1. Clean out your truck bed thoroughly with some water, do really need to use soap as this could cause your vehicle to form rust spots if water pools up underneath it. The chemicals in soap if left on there can cause your bed to rust. After wiping it out, I suggest letting it air dry for about 15 minutes or so, if your vehicle iis in a garage, you can do like I did and immediately install as my garage dries things out really fast!

2. Once complete drying, you will need a T-30 Torque screw to unloosen the bolts that hold the tailgate piece together. There are a total of 8 of them. Below is a pic of it. Once you have unloosened the screws, put the black tailgate liner on, matching up the holes, then reinstall the screws, washers, and plastic tailgate spacers and screw in, dont overtighten!

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/lasiter/Desktop/Auto%20loan/Need%20a%20T-30%20torque%20screwdriver%20for%20these.jpg[/IMG]

3. Once you have completed the tailgate, pick up the bedliner, (preferably with 2 people) I did mine with the old lady, and then drop it in, pick a side and angle it so the lip of the liner goes in one side first. Once in place, then slide the other side in place. You will have to pick up the middle of the bedliner in order to cause the left side to have enough room to pop in. ( This part is a pain in the butt as the plastic is not real flexible. Be sure to get the back lip portion over first before you do this. (Tip: Have one person pull the middle up, which causes the opposite side to cave in towards the middle, makes it easier to pop in place)

4. Once it is in place, check the functionality of the tailgate to make sure it closes, and you are done!
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/lasiter/Desktop/Auto%20loan/Completed%20Install.jpg[/IMG]

For those of you that are thinking about bedliners, this is a great alternative to a spray in bedliner that will look good for years to come. I have one in my sport trac, (factory OEM) that I have had in there for 8 years and it still looks like new!

Hope this helps whoever is considereing getting one, I love this one so far!
    This is the FIRST I've ever heard that a spray in bedliner will negate any type of warranty. Where'd you get that info from?
    2009 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 5.7L - Pyrite Mica
    Tow Package
    Tow Mirrors
    OEM Drop in Bed Liner
    OEM Fog Lights
    15% Tint all around
    EGR Bug Deflector
    Westin Platinum oval step tubes (black)
    USA-Spec ipod PA15
    Toyota Homelink/Compass Mirror
    K&N drop in filter
    Firestone Air Bags

2012 Wildwood T26RKS travel trailer..

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by VC-17 View Post
    This is the FIRST I've ever heard that a spray in bedliner will negate any type of warranty.
    I've never heard of that.

Plastic bed liners are garbage-- Things slide around, they warp, water and dirt gets underneath causing rust issues. Spray-on liners are the only way to go.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

re: spray in bedliner not under warranty

The only place that would say that would be someone looking to sell the Bedliner. I've never heard of such a thing either.

I will never use a drop in bedliner again, it caused rust buildup on my '00 tundra where water(with salt in it I'm sure) sat under it, and ate the metal where the bedliner had rubbed the paint off the metal.

-Garth

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Garth View Post
    re: spray in bedliner not under warranty

The only place that would say that would be someone looking to sell the Bedliner. I've never heard of such a thing either.

I will never use a drop in bedliner again, it caused rust buildup on my '00 tundra where water(with salt in it I'm sure) sat under it, and ate the metal where the bedliner had rubbed the paint off the metal.

-Garth

Well, I did not create this post to argue if a drop in bedliner or spray in bedliner is better. I created it so that those of us that do not have 596.00 to 800.00 plus dollars lying around can have an alternative solution to lining our beds of the truck. A bedliner is there for many purposes and many uses, it all depends on who wants it, needs it and ultimately preference. Its like comparing apples to oranges, both are sweet and fruits, its a matter of preference....

For those of you that live on the cheap like I do, this bedliner will serve you well! Also, for those of you that take care of your vehicles, this bedliner will be fine, considering you can take it out in less than 10 minutes and due some maintenance on the truck bed when you wish...Hope this helps, thanks guys!

Liked
    15 times
    Images

If one lives in salt country i could see it being an issue. for most of us a drop in works just fine. if its a quality drop in, it wont warp or crack. ive seen cheap ones do both of those but not a decent OEM maker or similar. the guy took the time to do a DIY on a modification...(yes a very basic modification most of the world could do easily, but the effort is commendable)... the spray ins are kinda funny. they scuff the heck out of the paint and spray crap on there that over time fades and looks worse than a worn OE finish anyway. the plastic bed liners dont fade or dull over time. if they do its easy to drop another one in. ( i know they say they have UV stable ones etc but here in texas nothing is UV stable and anything fades.
    B-boo likes this.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Barney_Fife View Post
    If one lives in salt country i could see it being an issue. for most of us a drop in works just fine. if its a quality drop in, it wont warp or crack. ive seen cheap ones do both of those but not a decent OEM maker or similar. the guy took the time to do a DIY on a modification...(yes a very basic modification most of the world could do easily, but the effort is commendable)... the spray ins are kinda funny. they scuff the heck out of the paint and spray crap on there that over time fades and looks worse than a worn OE finish anyway. the plastic bed liners dont fade or dull over time. if they do its easy to drop another one in. ( i know they say they have UV stable ones etc but here in texas nothing is UV stable and anything fades.
    Thanks Barney, I appreciate the kudos! Yeah I just wanted to share something with the Tundra community you have here, I get on here just about everynight when I am winding down with the kiddo's and they are preparing to go to bed. They watch cartoons, I get on here and daydream about superchargers and what other mods people are doing on their tundras, some really cool stuff here!

Yeah, the reasons you stated are the primary reasons I chose a drop in liner over over spray in, I just did not feel like dealing with the spray stuff.

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTundraMan View Post

Well, I did not create this post to argue if a drop in bedliner or spray in bedliner is better. I created it so that those of us that do not have 596.00 to 800.00 plus dollars lying around can have an alternative solution to lining our beds of the truck. A bedliner is there for many purposes and many uses, it all depends on who wants it, needs it and ultimately preference. Its like comparing apples to oranges, both are sweet and fruits, its a matter of preference....

For those of you that live on the cheap like I do, this bedliner will serve you well! Also, for those of you that take care of your vehicles, this bedliner will be fine, considering you can take it out in less than 10 minutes and due some maintenance on the truck bed when you wish...Hope this helps, thanks guys!
    If you have to buy another one at $300 then you've spent the same amount anyway. Props to you for getting what you want for your truck, but you logic just doesn't make sense. And I am another one who has never heard of a spray-in voiding any warranty.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Unfortunately all of the trucks I've looked at (I'm almost ready to purchase one) have the OEM bedliner in them. One of the first things I'll be doing, is pulling that out, and getting a spray in. I'll probably put it up on CL.

I wasn't trying to sway anyone one way or another, just telling you my experience with it(I forgot to tell how it always made noises driving down the road, as it banged against the side from the wind and bumps in the road) and how I'd never heard of the spray in causing warranty issues.

-Garth

Liked
    6 times

I'm sure there are many who will use your DIY drop in bed liner write up, my truck came with a Toyota drop in bedliner, if it didn't, I would've opted to get a spray in liner like I had on my 3 previous trucks. I just didn't get the part where you read that spray in bedliners VOID the vehicles warranty.
    2009 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 5.7L - Pyrite Mica
    Tow Package
    Tow Mirrors
    OEM Drop in Bed Liner
    OEM Fog Lights
    15% Tint all around
    EGR Bug Deflector
    Westin Platinum oval step tubes (black)
    USA-Spec ipod PA15
    Toyota Homelink/Compass Mirror
    K&N drop in filter
    Firestone Air Bags

2012 Wildwood T26RKS travel trailer..

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by VC-17 View Post
    I'm sure there are many who will use your DIY drop in bed liner write up, my truck came with a Toyota drop in bedliner, if it didn't, I would've opted to get a spray in liner like I had on my 3 previous trucks. I just didn't get the part where you read that spray in bedliners VOID the vehicles warranty.
    When I said it may void the warranty, I was getting it from Toyotas website. Please check out the following link: http://www.usatoyotaparts.com/stores...lsBedliner.pdf

Refer to page 3, the question is addressed on question 1. I also copied and pasted the info:

"
    QUESTION #1:
    Is it true that drop-in bedliners
    can rust your truck bed?

ANSWER:
    Toyota Skid Resistor™ Bedliners
    require no drilling, and the I-Beam floor
    construction promotes natural moisture
    evaporation. Due to the installation process
    that may require “scuffing” the truck bed,
    spray-on coatings may void the paint and

corrosion warranty."

Now whether this is true or not, I dont know or really care, just sharing the information with other Tundra enthusiasts, like myself

Liked
    15 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by toolowtrh View Post
    If you have to buy another one at $300 then you've spent the same amount anyway. Props to you for getting what you want for your truck, but you logic just doesn't make sense. And I am another one who has never heard of a spray-in voiding any warranty.
    yup. and 5 years down the road if he buys another for 300 he has a nice clean brand new one for the same money. if he spent all that up front, then in 5 years its gonna look all dirty and faded and grungy. and he cant renew it w/o spening more money. besides, 300 for some is alot easier to cough up than 600. even if they do it twice. kinda like financing a car. a few hundred a month is easier to spend than 30k at once. you spend the same money (assuming 0 percent of course) but you spend it when you want and can spend it.

as far as the warranty goes, i do see the point in the corrosion warranty aspect but i would believe that rhino or linex or whoever would step in and guarantee their product to not allow rust through from the top side...so the warrany issue probally is a mute point.
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast