Question Undercarriage cleaning

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undercarriage cleaning

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Default Undercarriage cleaning

My truck has been covered with winter muck for basically 3 straight months. I've had her in the car wash about every other week for a quick spray down. This has not been a wise investment of $5 worth of quarters cause she's loaded up again by the time I hit the drive way. As I walk past, looking up into the wheel wells and what is seen of the undercarriage, I was wondering what you folks do about tidying up underneath come dry weather?

Those "undercarriage" options at the carwash drive throughs are a waste of time, money and water from what I can see.

Does anyone drive up onto some ramps and crawl underneath with a hose or powerwasher? Sounds like fun. NOT.

1998 4x4 RC Tacoma - now nicely crushed into a 3x3 foot cube. Thanks Toyota! (11 years!)

2008 Slate Metallic 4x4 Tundra Double Cab LB - Model 8346 5.7L
    Tow Package and Cold Weather Package
    OEM Bedliner & OEM Brushed Stainless OEM Running Boards
    Weathertech Rubber Mats
    Driver Information Switches

Looking to add: OEM Fog lights and a Backup Camera - someday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    126 times
    Images

Default Re: Undercarriage cleaning

All I do... and mind you this is my first winter with the tundra... is take it to the bay and just do my best blindly spraying under the truck. I figure if I at least hit it during the wash and rinse I should do a pretty good job of getting a lot of the crap off. I spend more time in the wheel wells and around the back end of the truck.... doubt this will help but its better than nothing.
    2010 Slate Metallic DC Tundra 4.6L

Mods:

Auto Dimming Homelink Mirror with Compass, Aftermarket/OEM style fog lights from TRDSparks

MPG Buttons, Color Matched Grille/Handles, Debadged, OEM Stainless Running Boards, Delta Pro Toolbox

Alpine SPS-600C components (Front Doors and Dash), Alpine SPS-600 (Rear Doors), FATMAT on all 4 doors

Pioneer 4300DVD with XOVision Backup Camera

Liked
    106 times

There is a local car wash that has an undercarriage wash that puts out a lot of water, I use that. I usually wait til after the roads are cleared and dry before I wash my truck. You still get some salt spray, but not nearly as much.
    2010 white RW DC
    Rostra backup camera, TRD sway bar, BHLM, LineX
    folding seat mod, dual 2.25 Powersticks
    JL Audio 8w3v3 sub w/Kenwood KAC-8104D amp, Polk DB651s fronts, dash tweeter bypass
    non-relay anytime fog light mod, Firestone Ride-Rite airbags

Liked
    3 times

I would not recommend cleaning the undercarriage with any power washer (neither your own, nor one at a car wash). Too great a chance of forcing water into a place it doesn't belong or damaging something.

Just use a garden hose set to a medium sparay pattern (not a jet stream). It may take several cycles over the course of the day: spray, wait for mud to soften, spray, wait for mud to soften, spray, etc. You may want to get one of those car wash nozzles that inject soap into the water spray.
    2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L SR5 4x4 : CF CK DS EV HM MN OF PE PN RL SO WR

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Here's another way to do it...

go get a lawn sprinkler and set it up underneath the truck and let 'er run.

I've done it with a hose and a boatload of mud. It gets pretty muddy pretty fast.

-rockstate

Liked
    320 times
    Images

I have a customer who is a pressure washer dealer. They have an attachment that looks like a lawn sprinkler on wheels with a long handle. It looks like a circle of nozzles pointing up with a trigger on the handle to turn it on. You turn on the pressure washer then run it under the vehicle to wash the underside without crawling under. I believe it is made by Legacy.

Found a picture.
    Last edited by mendonsy; 03-06-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: found picture
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post
    I have a customer who is a pressure washer dealer. They have an attachment that looks like a lawn sprinkler on wheels with a long handle. It looks like a circle of nozzles pointing up with a trigger on the handle to turn it on. You turn on the pressure washer then run it under the vehicle to wash the underside without crawling under. I believe it is made by Legacy.

Found a picture.
    And it only costs $650! If you buy two, they'll throw in a free Ginsu knife.

Plus, you again have the downside of using high pressure water under your vehicle.

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals

Senior Contributor jack mccarthy's Avatar
    Liked
    885 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpyGuy View Post
    I would not recommend cleaning the undercarriage with any power washer (neither your own, nor one at a car wash). Too great a chance of forcing water into a place it doesn't belong or damaging something.

Just use a garden hose set to a medium sparay pattern (not a jet stream). It may take several cycles over the course of the day: spray, wait for mud to soften, spray, wait for mud to soften, spray, etc. You may want to get one of those car wash nozzles that inject soap into the water spray.
    I've yet to hear of anyone who's damaged their powertrain/suspension components yet and I've done it for years.

Common sense would tell you not to stand there spraying anything 3" away from it unless its the frame or axle. A quick back and forth motion from a few feet away is good enough.

Just a $2 self undercarriage wash for me, maybe twice a week during bad weather.

The most damaging time I've found is driving to work in the morning and letting the salt sit there while its 40+ degrees until you get out of work to wash it.
    "My luck is so bad that even my guardian angel committed suicide...How's that even possible?"

How to perform a search: Select "Advanced Search" -> Choose the "Single Search Content Type" tab, Enter the "Keyword", Select Search in Forum "1st Gen Tundra", Search by Prefix "any thread", Show results as: Choose either "Posts" or "Threads", then click on "Search Now".

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

This is how we cleaned the Jeep!

Last edited by rpmorey; 03-06-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    The dealership that I have listed in my garage, will never sell me anything again. My sales person was fantastic! The F&I people are masters of the "straight con" and the "bait and switch". That is my opinion. Update: After ten and a half weeks, the dealership finally made good and cancelled the unwanted insurance and will credit my account with Toyota Financial. Thank you Toni!

Liked
    806 times
    Images

I have been getting the undercarriage washed ($2 extra) at the local car wash since I've owned the truck. I see no damage yet. They use a LOT of salt around here and I'd rather not have all that salt eating away at the under side of my truck.
    07 Tundra DCSB, 5.7, Blue Streak Metallic, 4X4, SR5, TRD, BU, CK, DZ, FE, HM, MG, OF, Brushed Stainless steps, sill protectors, USMC lighted hitch plug and assorted stickers and license plate brackets, rollup bed cover, Rhino Liner, Mesh Grill backing, Black Wheelskin steering wheel cover, Wade in channel vent visors, under rear seat storage, PRG mini spring pack, Proforce rear exit cat-back exhaust, aFe CAI, TRD rear sway bar, A.R.E. MX series Cap.

Liked
    2 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mendonsy View Post

Found a picture.

Now that is a really kewl tool that I could add to my collection of tools in the garage, however for $600-700, it's really expensive..... so it got me to thinking if you could hook this up to a pressure washer w/o blowing the seals since it's about 7% of the cost (~$50) of the Legacy tool......

Amazon.com: Nelson 1865 Raintrain Traveling Sprinkler: Patio, Lawn & Garden

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Limited Salsa Red CrewMax

Wheels and tires
    Engine
    Oil filter
    Windows
    Air filter
    Air conditioning
    Seats

Send POINTS, not thanks or compliments....

Liked
    320 times
    Images

There's a BIG difference between garden stuff rated for 150 PSI and the commercial pressure washer parts rated for 3000 psi.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    1 times

I wait until the end of the winter season then fire up my Rigid 3300psi power washer and crawl under the truck, lay on my back and give her a good, thorough blasting.

Liked
    53 times

A set of 1' tall ramps that you could drive up on would be handy - just lift one side at a time so you can spray underneath the truck without crawling under it too much.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by jack mccarthy View Post
    I've yet to hear of anyone who's damaged their powertrain/suspension components yet and I've done it for years.
    To quote Mendonsy: "There's a BIG difference between garden stuff rated for 150 PSI and the commercial pressure washer parts rated for 3000 psi."

In other words, your truck undercarriage is designed to handle rain and puddle water hitting it at freeway speeds. Spraying it with a garden hose (which is well below 150 psi; typical household water pressure is 75psi or less) is similar to what your vehicle was intended to endure. Hitting it with 1,500 to 3,000 psi is NOT an insignificant difference. At best, you will likely remove some of your undercarriage paint and corrosion protection (not only from the jet of high pressure water, but also by the flying blasted grit and mud which is now acting as a high-speed/high-pressure abrasive slurry). At worst, you will tear rubber boots and blow water, mud, salt, etc, past seals and into places designed to keep such harmful foreign matter out. Think transmission output shaft, u-joint bearings, differential seals and breathers, etc.

If pressure blasting is so safe, then why not blast the entire exterior of your vehicle? Is the undercarriage paint so much tougher than your body paint? Are your underbody seals so much stronger than your window seals?

But hey, it's your truck, so feel free to ignore my advice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.