Tundra Oil Leak Nightmare (timing chain cover)

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Tundra Oil Leak Nightmare (timing chain cover)

Liked
    4 times

Angry Tundra Oil Leak Nightmare (timing chain cover)

I bought a 2010 Tundra Crew Max 5.7 Limited 4x4 in March of 2010... I've had it about a year and it has been a nightmare. I traded in my 2006 out of anger about the US Govt and media slamming Toyota for the gas pedal farse. I spent almost $50k, putting about 30k down on my dream truck. It was awesome, ripping past people with little or no effort on the freeway. So proud of it I tinted the windows to match the black exterior (with the swirl marks). Then, about 1200 miles, I went under the truck to change the oil. It was like prom night, getting under there for the first time, looking around for stuff, excited to find the oil drain plug and filter. I am an avid AMSOIL user, so 1200 miles was good break-in.

I located the filter under the skid plate and I noticed it was damp. Further inspection revealed it was an OIL LEAK! I located the source.. It was leaking from behind the TIMING CHAIN COVER! What a let-down! I was wondering if I bought a dam Chevy! I noticed that the gasket material was squeezed out from between the block and the cover, so I figured some moron at the San Antonio plant over-torqued the bolts... You know, the same plant that had shut down for a while due to low sales of the New Tundra because gas was hitting $4 a gallon at that time.

Okay, so human error. I get that but I was pi$$ed.. I was already in hot water with the wife for getting rid of a perfectly good 2006 quad cab Tundra with low miles. I took the truck to the dealer where I bought it (Salinas Toyota, CA) and they were mystified. They had never cracked open a 5.7L... The procedure to fix would basically be a timing chain replacement process, just not changing the chain out. After about a week, I got the truck back and let it run with standard oil. I drove the truck to Yosemite in the snow.. Did great. I got home and I wanted to change the engine air/cabin air/engine oil/engine oil filter. I popped off the skid pan and AGAIN THERE WAS A LEAK!. This time there was gasket smear all over the seams where the timing chain cover meets the block..

I was upset. I decided to go to my local dealer, Gilroy Toyota (CA). I took it in and they decided to order a new timing chain cover, in case the original one was warped. SO, the truck now has 5500 miles on it and it went in. The truck came back out and it had a funny whine to the engine, increasing in pitch as the engine spun faster. The thing sounded like it had a double roller chain and blower on it. It sounded like the gear whine that you get from a drag racer. I was okay with it but it was loud in my garage when I warmed it up. I called the dealer and asked them if they put in a roller cam gear (yeah, right) or is there something wrong. I went to start it and the battery was dead. Jumped it and took it in. They had to jump it too as the battery was bad.. They stated that it was the power steering pump. I asked them to be sure and that if they used a stethescope to isolated the noise, to be sure that the noise was not being transferred from the timing chain cover, all the way through to the surface component.

The dealer assured me that the power steering was the fix.. Well, they replaced the power steering pump and the noise is still there. They still have the truck and they are waiting on a new timing chain cover and oil pump, citing that the oil pump may be the issue. I told them that it sounded like the timing chain cover was rubbing on the new timing gear sprocket, which made it sound bad a$$ but would possibly scatter the engine soon..

I have never ever ever had this with Toyota... I had a 1983 4x4 that ran 300k miles, a 2002 Camry (160k miles), a 2000 Tundra, a 2005 Tacoma, a 2006 Tundra, still have a 2007 Camry XLE, a 2008 LE and now a 2010 Tundra in the shop getting the engine torn all the way down for the third time...

What a nightmare on a dream truck I spent $50,000.00, and added another 4k in tinted windows, trd rear sway bar, clear bra, flipbak tonneau cover, bilstein shocks, TRD dual exhaust (yes the new 900$ one that finally came out for 2008-2010), satellite radio subscription and all weather mats......

What would you do? I am so anal with my vehicles there is not a scratch on any of them... I am freaking out and my wife is "told you so" ing me to death.....
    2011 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Nautical Blue rare custom ordered TRD-Limited V8 5.7 6spAuto/moon roof/nav/TRD Dual Exhaust/Intake
    2012 Camry se Attitude Black v6 3.5 6spAuto/nav/moon roof/etc
    2008 Camry le Magnetic Gray v6 3.5 6spAuto/moon roof/etc

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    126 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra Oil Leak Nightmare (timing chain cover)

sucks man... you could call up corporate, find out what they have to say about it. I have seen some guys on here that have constantly had to have their trucks worked on and its generally the same issues over and over for them. Typically, I would say that the jackhole that did the repair didnt have a clue what he was doing.

how did you spend 4K on those items.... hope there was a wheel/tire combo in there....
    2010 Slate Metallic DC Tundra 4.6L

Mods:

Auto Dimming Homelink Mirror with Compass, Aftermarket/OEM style fog lights from TRDSparks

MPG Buttons, Color Matched Grille/Handles, Debadged, OEM Stainless Running Boards, Delta Pro Toolbox

Alpine SPS-600C components (Front Doors and Dash), Alpine SPS-600 (Rear Doors), FATMAT on all 4 doors

Pioneer 4300DVD with XOVision Backup Camera

Liked
    4 times

If I total it all, its about $4k... But here is a large item breakdown anyways..

Intake $400
    Wheel Lks $65
    Exhaust $900
    Clear Bra $900
    Flip Back $800
    Tint Wdos $95
    WeatherTech Mats $125
    2011 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Nautical Blue rare custom ordered TRD-Limited V8 5.7 6spAuto/moon roof/nav/TRD Dual Exhaust/Intake

Liked
    126 times
    Images

HOLY CRAP BATMAN.... 900 for the clear wrap........

Like i said though in the first post... call corporate. You shouldnt have to get the truck worked on over an over for the same thing... if they want to compensate your time then ok, otherwise they need to find a better solution.
    2010 Slate Metallic DC Tundra 4.6L

Mods:

Auto Dimming Homelink Mirror with Compass, Aftermarket/OEM style fog lights from TRDSparks

MPG Buttons, Color Matched Grille/Handles, Debadged, OEM Stainless Running Boards, Delta Pro Toolbox

Alpine SPS-600C components (Front Doors and Dash), Alpine SPS-600 (Rear Doors), FATMAT on all 4 doors

Pioneer 4300DVD with XOVision Backup Camera

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Sorry to hear your troubles. I could tell you, you should have kept your first gen, but that wouldn't make you feel any better. Same as it doesn't for me to think about getting rid of my 04 for this truck. Either stick with it, or dump it and get something else. These trucks are no better than any of the other brands so pick what you want. Maybe even the other brands dealers are better as I don't think I 've ever seen as much dealer fighting as what goes on here just to get warranty work done. Just not the same company as it was in the past.

Good luck with your truck though.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    4 times

I called Toyota Corporate and got a case started... We'll see what happens.. Hope this doesn't just pi$$ off the mechanics working on it..

Liked
    4 times

UPDATE: The dealer now states that the replacement timing chain cover has a built-in oil pump that comes in three parts.. One of the parts was rubbing on the timing chain cover. They claim that the problem is going to be fixed, but we shall see. I advised them that there had better not be any aluminum shavings that got sucked up into the motor (probably did) and into tight spaces like the hydraulic lifters, causing tapping and bleed-down problems in the future... What a nightmare...

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hay bud. i have a 08 5.7 i over maintain if anything. I worked for toyota for 5 years and swear by toyota. I have my 08 dc 5.7. A 2011 camry se and my wife has a 2004 corolla with 150k on it. Runs like new. However my tundra has 28k on it and has had a seeping timing chain cover for about a year now and i am afraid to bring it in for warranty just because of crap like this. It leeks very very small amount, Never dripped just always wet at 4k oil change intervals. i dont know what i am gonna do..

Liked
    4 times

Well after 3 visits and 4 full engine tear downs, I have started an arbitration case.... The truck now leaks antifreeze, oil from 3 new places, and power steering fluid and tranny fluid too... It's a leaking mess now.... No one outside assembly seems to be qualified to deal with the 5.7. I am requesting a replacement truck... Had it a year and only have 5840 miles on it..... Sad

Liked
    2 times

This sounds like a friggin nightmare. I am hearing too many horror stories, starting to think this is a Dodge forum. Hope it works out for you.
    2007 Tundra DC SR5 5.7L V8

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Defintely should be looking into lemon laws in your state

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide App

Liked
    4 times

I have an arbitration meeting on this vehicle next week.. Wish me luck.. Hopefully the Tsunami and increase prices in Toyotas have no bearing on my desired outcome (replacement truck).

Supercharged Member socal57chevy's Avatar
    Liked
    119 times
    Images

Total bummer, dude.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ckris View Post
    It was like prom night, getting under there for the first time, looking around for stuff
    LMAO. damn u got a lemon for real. good luck on your case though

Liked
    4 times

Okay... I had my arbitration with California Dispute Resolution. I showed them a video of the oil drained from my oil filter housing with all the aluminum flicks tumbling in the used motor oil in my drain catch pan.. The CDR guy and TOYOTA rep just stared at the video in disbelief. May be good news for me. I am requesting a new truck since the improperly installed timing chain cover #2 of 3 had the oil pump installed incorrectly that was grinding against the aluminum cover sending pieces of metal through the engine. Toyota Corp wants an independant tear down (again?!) and I requested a replacement truck. I will know what the arbitrator says in a few days... Did I mention that I had to jump start my truck this am, even though there is a new battery installed by Toyota because it died on them at the dealer? Poltergeist!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 12-20-2013, 08:10 PM
  2. 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM