Spark plug gap for the 5.7? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spark plug gap for the 5.7?

Liked
    4 times

Default Re: Spark plug gap for the 5.7?

Anyone changing out their stock plugs on the 5.7's
    should not be surprised to see most gapped at 0.40
    and the other half gapped at 0.39(ratio varied from bank to bank with no relation to firing order)

Out of 9 Trucks Ive done,NONE were correctly gapped @ 0.43 from the factory
    All trucks have exceeded 80K and all the stock plugs looked really good
    but were swapped out anyway.

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so
    - Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Supercharged Member socal57chevy's Avatar
    Liked
    118 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Negra View Post
    and the other half gapped at 0.39(ratio varied from bank to bank with no relation to firing order)

I wonder if the engine plant gaps them a few thousandths tighter to reduce temp of the center electrode a little. Considering that my 5.7 wants to ping, I could see them taking measures to help reduce stress inside the combustion chamber.
    What brand did you replace them with.....and what were they gapped at out of the box? (just out of curiosity)
    Where do you work?

Liked
    4 times

We used NGK Lasers,I never trust the box gap
    I tap them down right out of the box, then gapped them to 0.44
    I did one that had the OEM stockers and I set them at 0.44 like the NGKs
    and the truck runs fine.

Some of y'all may want to give that a shot if you choose the OEM plug

The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so
    - Mark Twain

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Negra View Post

Did you read my post, the plugs were gapped exactly like that. Have at .039 and half at .040.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by socal57chevy View Post
    I wonder if the engine plant gaps them a few thousandths tighter to reduce temp of the center electrode a little. Considering that my 5.7 wants to ping, I could see them taking measures to help reduce stress inside the combustion chamber.
    What brand did you replace them with.....and what were they gapped at out of the box? (just out of curiosity)
    Where do you work?
    What fuel are you using? If the engine is pinging then you need higher octane fuel despite what Toyota recommends. If its still pinging then the tune is crap.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    118 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bill3508 View Post
    What fuel are you using? If the engine is pinging then you need higher octane fuel despite what Toyota recommends. If its still pinging then the tune is crap.
    I know that, but I have to use 87 in order to get it for free. (company policy)
    In order to raise fuel economy, piston skirts are not what they used to be. I would give up 1/2 mpg for less piston noise. IMO, Toyota went a little too short on these engines. The noise has diminished some over time, but is still there on slight grades at part throttle where there is not enough load to force a downshift. I just let up a little or force it to downshift.
    When you say "the tune is crap" I assume you are speaking about software. Did Toyota release a flash that adjusts the timing curve to get rid of the problem? If so, I'll have Victor reflash it next time I drive through Vegas.

You never did say what your "out of the box" plug gap was for the new plugs you installed.

I always measure them before adjusting the ground probe to get an idea whether they were dropped by the kid delivering for the parts house. Denso and NGK are both good about including a shield for the ground probe, but I never tighten the gap and start from sctatch without measuring the gap first.

Personally, I don't think a person will see jack for change in a couple thousandths in plug gap on a stock engine, anyway. I wouldn't spend the time and effort to index them either, but it would probably have more of an effect than a 1 thousandth inch difference in gap between the plugs.

Liked
    8 times
    Images

I know that, but I have to use 87 in order to get it for free. (company policy)
    In order to raise fuel economy, piston skirts are not what they used to be. I would give up 1/2 mpg for less piston noise. IMO, Toyota went a little too short on these engines. The noise has diminished some over time, but is still there on slight grades at part throttle where there is not enough load to force a downshift. I just let up a little or force it to downshift.
    When you say "the tune is crap" I assume you are speaking about software. Did Toyota release a flash that adjusts the timing curve to get rid of the problem? If so, I'll have Victor reflash it next time I drive through Vegas.

You never did say what your "out of the box" plug gap was for the new plugs you installed.

I always measure them before adjusting the ground probe to get an idea whether they were dropped by the kid delivering for the parts house. Denso and NGK are both good about including a shield for the ground probe, but I never tighten the gap and start from sctatch without measuring the gap first.

Personally, I don't think a person will see jack for change in a couple thousandths in plug gap on a stock engine, anyway. I wouldn't spend the time and effort to index them either, but it would probably have more of an effect than a 1 thousandth inch difference in gap between the plugs.
    No there is no reflash of the ecm tune wise. These engine just really don't seem to be setup to run 87 with the amount of detonation that has been talked about. Even the dyno test from a few venders have had quite a lot of detonation running higher octane fuels with the stock programming. I think went a little short on everything with these trucks but thats another thread.

Back to your question regarding the plugs I put in. I went with Pulstars Iridiums since they are the same price as NGK's now and the gap was anywhere from .035 to .050. On there defense though I don't think these plugs come pregapped for any engine. Even the instructions stated to gap the plugs according to vehicle specs up to .055 if I remember right. I gapped them all to .043. If your wondering why I went with these plugs it was due to a couple real good dyno test over a days time showing a leaning out of the AFR with them. HP was similar to the other plugs but both test indicated that it seemed like some tuning would be in order to account for the leaner ratio. I am purely interested in seeing if I get a few more miles out of a tank with them.

Liked
    118 times
    Images

No there is no reflash of the ecm tune wise. These engine just really don't seem to be setup to run 87 with the amount of detonation that has been talked about. Even the dyno test from a few venders have had quite a lot of detonation running higher octane fuels with the stock programming. I think went a little short on everything with these trucks but thats another thread.

Back to your question regarding the plugs I put in. I went with Pulstars Iridiums since they are the same price as NGK's now and the gap was anywhere from .035 to .050. On there defense though I don't think these plugs come pregapped for any engine. Even the instructions stated to gap the plugs according to vehicle specs up to .055 if I remember right. I gapped them all to .043. If your wondering why I went with these plugs it was due to a couple real good dyno test over a days time showing a leaning out of the AFR with them. HP was similar to the other plugs but both test indicated that it seemed like some tuning would be in order to account for the leaner ratio. I am purely interested in seeing if I get a few more miles out of a tank with them.
    It would be interesting to see if indexing the plugs would result in a more efficient burn, too. I wonder if the piston noise is more prominenet in trucks running a leaner AFR due to Unichips or URD MAF calibrators. As noisy as these things are running as rich as they tend to, I imagine that leaning them out might make the pistons rattle even more. Are you using a wideband O2 and AFR meter or checking it while on a dyno?

Liked
    8 times
    Images

It would be interesting to see if indexing the plugs would result in a more efficient burn, too. I wonder if the piston noise is more prominenet in trucks running a leaner AFR due to Unichips or URD MAF calibrators. As noisy as these things are running as rich as they tend to, I imagine that leaning them out might make the pistons rattle even more. Are you using a wideband O2 and AFR meter or checking it while on a dyno?
    You know my engine is extremely quiet,but I've run 30 weight oil from the start. If I can get the next unichip working I'll have it dyno tuned. I'll give you an example, my 06 Gto stock on the dyno was running low 11s in the AFR and I average 20 mph. Black smoke poured out at his shop. After tuning we were at 12.8, and I then averaged 25-26 mph for the rest of the time I owned it. It makes a big difference, but I don't expect that big a jump on this truck.
    Last edited by bill3508; 03-18-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Liked
    118 times
    Images

I'm definitely switching to 5w30 on my next oil change, which will be next week before our trip to KC. I'm also very interested in seeing your AFR on the Tundra. Another member reported 10:1 in stock form. If I could swing the $$, I'd buy the URD unit in a heartbeat. I have a wideband O2 and AFR meter in my Amazon wish list, I'm just waiting for enough money to pull the trigger. The nitrous kit is basically installed. I just have to mount the bottle and switches, but I want the URD part for everyday performance. Then there are the long tube headers and posi unit. Seems like it never ends.

Liked
    4 times

Guess I missed it,at least is supports the inconsistencies in plug gaps
    and voids possible speculations. Very good chance it was corrected as year models progressed

Plans on switching to 30W ?
    Your motor may run quieter,but you will clearly feel the difference the first time
    you put your foot in it.

Pinging on 87*

Since late 08 and the steady progression of ethanol diluted fuels many platforms are showing adverse signs
    from its use.
    "Ethanol Free" is a huge marketing niche' around Texas now,and rightly so
    Its better fuel and my "gas" burners show a clear difference in performance from its use.
    Did you read my post, the plugs were gapped exactly like that. Have at .039 and half at .040.
    Last edited by Negra; 03-19-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: sp

- Mark Twain

Liked
    67 times
    Images

I believe it is just good practice to gap all plugs.

Good info in here btw.
    2008 Tundra 5.7L RCSB 2WD Supercharged, Auburn LSD, IPT Valvebody, Sequoia swaybar, BAM stainless custom exhaust, etc...

www.gaugeplates.com

Liked
    5 times
    Images

Just picked up some Bosch Iridiums 9613, they're all gapped at 1.01mm or .044 inches. It's close enough, gonna pop them in.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Just another contribution to the fun. I also installed the Bosch Iridium 9613's that I purchased for $60. at my local O'Reilly's auto parts. When I originally got them they gave me the wrong plugs. They sold me the Bosche 9603 Platinums, that are completely the wrong plug! Went back after taking one of the OE plugs and discovered there was a big problem because physically they're completely different. Went back got the correct ones it took about two hours to install them hand tight. I checked the gaps and they were all .040 where the installed plugs were gapped at .042. When I started the truck it seemed to run a little rough off idle. When I shifted into drive, I noticed for sure something wasn't right.
    When I was installing the left cylinder bank of plugs, some of the coil connectors are a little tight, and I thought I installed them well and were all locked into position. I stopped the engine and climbed back under the hood only to see the connector wasn't fully engaged. Needless to say, the engine threw a bunch of fault codes as the left instrument pod lit up like it was christmas. after I reconnected the connector and drove a few miles the fault codes rectified themselves. So be sure you have all the coils attached to their connectors completely!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12