DUHH !! Where's the Oil Filter???

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: DUHH !! Where's the Oil Filter???

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Default DUHH !! Where's the Oil Filter???

Wow...while my engine undercover is off waiting for hardware to install the skidplate...I crawled underneath the truck today and just laid under there to familiarize myself with 'stuff'!

I usually try to do this when I get a new vehicle. New or used.

I have had over 100 cars and ALWAYS do my own oil changes. Sold Toyota parts, (among other brands) for years and like to think I know my way around cars? But............................................... ...................

I'll be d---ned if I see an oil filter on this 4.6 motor?! I do wear glasses, but.....

I have heard the story on here of cutting a hole in the undercover for easier oil filter removal, but I figured that would most likely be unnecessary, and that you could probably remove from above with the hood open. But, I don't see it anywhere? Years ago on my then brand new, 1990 Toyota 4x4 with a 22RE, I installed a remote oil filter mount, and placed it on the fender apron. If this is going to be a PITA to get to with the undercover installed, I may do that again?

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks,

BB
    Imported From SanAntonio!

Built by hard working Americans!!

One of Consumer Reports 2011 TOP10 worst buys...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: DUHH !! Where's the Oil Filter???

You do know that it's not a standard spin-on filter, right?
    2011 Tundra Double Cab 5.7L SR5 4x4 : CF CK DS EV HM MN OF PE PN RL SO WR

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals

Liked
    177 times
    Images

I'll be d---ned if I see an oil filter on this 4.6 motor?! I do wear glasses, but.....

Can someone enlighten me please?

Thanks,

BB[/QUOTE]
    LMFAO I'm not even gona get into it, but if you ever find the damn transmission dip stick by all means post a picture

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by waiting tundra View Post
    I'll be d---ned if I see an oil filter on this 4.6 motor?!
    The 4.6L is the same as the 5.7 motor (with a shorter piston stroke). The oil filters are the same: a replacable filter element inside a reusable housing.

Quote Originally Posted by waiting tundra View Post
    LMFAO I'm not even gona get into it, but if you ever find the damn transmission dip stick by all means post a picture
    You'll be waiting a looooong time for that photo. There is no transmission dipstick. The transmission is a factory-sealed unit.

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by SpyGuy View Post
    The transmission is a factory-sealed unit.
    It's not sealed just a little different service procedure than an auto trans with a dip stick. It's actually very similar service to a manual trans. I did mine last week using the TSB procedures and a IR thermometer.

2007 Tundra DC Limited 5.7L 4x4 Slate Metallic - Graphite Leather
    2007 Camry XLE V6

Liked
    141 times

The 4.6L is the same as the 5.7 motor (with a shorter piston stroke).
    If that's true, then it's right next to the oil cooler. That is... if you have an oil cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELBYBIKEBOY View Post
    I installed a remote oil filter mount
    And if you figure that out, people will pay you for the parts and instructions.

Steve
    Last edited by StevJ; 03-18-2011 at 06:51 PM.
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

¡pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

RDW
    Liked
    0 times

You do know that it's not a standard spin-on filter, right?
    Must be different here in the mid west because mine spins on and it's in the exact same spot as my old 2001 Tundra

Liked
    141 times

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    Must be different here in the mid west because mine spins on and it's in the exact same spot as my old 2001 Tundra
    What engine is yours?

Steve
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by RDW View Post
    I should have clarified that I was referring to the 5.7L and 4.6L engines; both of which do not use a standard spin-on filter. I figured the OP had one of those two engines since he couldn't find his filter.

The 4.7L (which I'm guessing is what you have) does use a standard spin-on filter.

Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
    It's not sealed just a little different service procedure than an auto trans with a dip stick.
    You may not think of it as "sealed", but that's what it's considered to be.

RDW
    Liked
    0 times

I should have clarified that I was referring to the 5.7L and 4.6L engines; both of which do not use a standard spin-on filter. I figured the OP had one of those two engines since he couldn't find his filter.

The 4.7L (which I'm guessing is what you have) does use a standard spin-on filter.
    After I posted did a little research and found their are different oil filter set ups. They don't try to make it easy do they?

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Thanks all...

I thnk? OK...then where is the 'housing'?????

:scratchhead: I must be a total doomoss!!

Liked
    2 times

im still tripping about you having over 100 vehicles. do you just get a different one every 6 months, assuming your 50years old and drove since u were 1

Liked
    141 times

Quote Originally Posted by SHELBYBIKEBOY View Post
    ...then where is the 'housing'?????
    :scratchhead: I must be a total doomoss!!
    No point (other than for pure amusement) stringing you along any further.
    Refer to this DIY section oil change thread. That should point you in the right direction.

Steve

DIY AIP BYPASS <--

Liked
    29 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StevJ View Post
    No point (other than for pure amusement) stringing you along any further.
    Refer to this DIY section oil change thread. That should point you in the right direction.

Steve
    Stev- thanks for not being a knob!

I sincerely appreciate your help on this. I am so disconnected from Toyota's stuff after being a FORD guy for so long! This thread is very helpful.

@htownrida- I am a car guy, through and through. Thus having up to five sometimes, at a time! It's a PITA sometimes, what with washing them and changing the oil on all of them, and just the routine upkeep! I have had many Corvettes, many Mustangs, (my faves) some Nissan 'Z' cars, a few Celicas, a few Mercury Capris, a few Mercury Cougars, and lots of pickups! This is only my second Toy truck. I had a 1990 SR5 4x4 that I bought new at Camelback Toyota in PHX. as an employee in the parts department at that time. Then before that the other new Toyota that I ever purchased was a 1982 Celica ST coupe. That was a nice car. Both of those Toy's had 22RE's and were very reliable. Great fuel economy for the time, and very hard to kill! These are the reasons that Toyota is still on my radar screen, enough to even think of looking at this new Tundra for my DD.

I like all kinds of cars, for varying reasons. I just have higher expectations for Toyota than I feel that I have recieved this go 'round!?

*SEE trans. shifting thread*