Help I my brakes are srewed after brake job

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help I my brakes are srewed after brake job

Liked
    0 times

Default Help I my brakes are srewed after brake job

Let me start by saying I've done many brake jobs but never on a vehicle with ABS brakes. Following another threads suggestion I bled the brakes before compressing the caliper pistons. I used a vacuum bleeder. Now my brakes are installed but I have excessive pedal travel. I've bled the brakes the old fashioned way with pumping several times and I'm getting no improvement in pedal travel. Am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    6 times

Default Re: Help I my brakes are srewed after brake job

You shouldn't have blead the brakes before compressing the calipers. I've never blead the brake system unless there was air in the lines. If you were just replacing pads, there should be NO reason to bleed the system. If you have everything put together with new pads, bleed the system again.
    2009 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 5.7L - Pyrite Mica
    Tow Package
    Tow Mirrors
    OEM Drop in Bed Liner
    OEM Fog Lights
    15% Tint all around
    EGR Bug Deflector
    Westin Platinum oval step tubes (black)
    USA-Spec ipod PA15
    Toyota Homelink/Compass Mirror
    K&N drop in filter
    Firestone Air Bags

2012 Wildwood T26RKS travel trailer..

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by VC-17 View Post
    You shouldn't have blead the brakes before compressing the calipers. I've never blead the brake system unless there was air in the lines. If you were just replacing pads, there should be NO reason to bleed the system. If you have everything put together with new pads, bleed the system again.
    I agree, I've never dont this before either. But a member on here suggested that with ABS brakes you don't want to send dirty fluid from the calipers back to the control system. It made sense to me.

Liked
    38 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VC-17 View Post
    You can open the bleeder screws and compress the pistons which will force the old fluid out and not back into the system.
    2010 Black Rock Warrior DC
    mpg buttons added
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors
    Custom bed lighting

Liked
    0 times

Does anyone have an idea as to why, with repeated bleedings I still have spongy brakes? I took the truck around the block and it is slightly improved but at stops the pedal travels a little to close to the floor for my liking.

Liked
    77 times

You added more brake fluid right????

Also if you let fluid out to fast you may have let air in at the master cylinder and then down into the line.

Liked
    0 times

hmm did u change out fronts? and rear?
    mine had alot of travel when i changed the fronts...i did the rears today..kinda disappointed that the rear were lower than the fronts! and i have alot less pretravel now

Supercharged Member socal57chevy's Avatar
    Liked
    118 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teallin View Post
    You can open the bleeder screws and compress the pistons which will force the old fluid out and not back into the system.
    Exactly.
    It's not a complete system bleed, it's just allowing the nasty fluid at the caliper to be expelled instead of returned to the reservoir. You will likely need to connect a scantool with ABS capabilities and do a bleed procedure using the scantool. I have also had great results using a pressure bleeder (not a vacuum bleeder) on ABS systems. Keep plenty of fluid in the reservoir at all times.

Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the responses. Answers to questions are. I never bled the system down, just about 30 mls of fluid at each caliper. The resevior never went below the minimum line. I changed both fronts and rears. As one poster suggested, perhaps I bled to quickly and drew air into the lines. Next time I'll just open the bleeder nuts as suggested, I guess I thought that might let air in so I applied vacuum. I didn't know if I may have caused damage to some internal check valves when I applied vacuum. My understanding is that a vacuum bleeder should be fine for ABS brakes, but then the Tundra is a little more complex then just an ABS system. I'll try a couple more bleedings.

Liked
    53 times

Have you actually tried driving it to feel if the brakes 'firm up'? Sitting at a stop, I can push my brake pedal all the way to the floor (as can everyone else with a Tundra).

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

I work on Ford E-350 and E-450 busses and after any brake work, the pedal feels like crap. The only way to get the pedal back to normal is to accellerate to 20 MPH and then stand on the brake pedal. This will put it into ABS active mode (pump running and wheel solenoids working) to control the stop. After doing this, the pedal always feels like it should. I don't know if this works on Tundra's, but it is something to try.
    The dealership that I have listed in my garage, will never sell me anything again. My sales person was fantastic! The F&I people are masters of the "straight con" and the "bait and switch". That is my opinion. Update: After ten and a half weeks, the dealership finally made good and cancelled the unwanted insurance and will credit my account with Toyota Financial. Thank you Toni!

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    Have you actually tried driving it to feel if the brakes 'firm up'? Sitting at a stop, I can push my brake pedal all the way to the floor (as can everyone else with a Tundra).
    Yes. I can stop without issue, and as you sugested at a stop can push my brake pedal all the way to the floor. I've seen the threads on this, but never noticed this before my brake job. Perhaps it's always been this way but I don't think so. It seems they at least felt firm.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by gobblerman View Post
    Yes. I can stop without issue, and as you sugested at a stop can push my brake pedal all the way to the floor. I've seen the threads on this, but never noticed this before my brake job. Perhaps it's always been this way but I don't think so. It seems they at least felt firm.
    Thanks I'll give this a try.

By the way sorry about the thread title. I don't know what I was smoking. Unfortunately it cannot be edited.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.