Switched to Synthetic Oil. How many miles between changes?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Switched to Synthetic Oil. How many miles between changes?

Liked
    2 times

Default Switched to Synthetic Oil. How many miles between changes?

I recently switched to Synth. MObil1 to be exact. If traditional oil is recommended to be changed every 5k miles by indication of the idiot light. How far should we be able to go on Synth? I was thinking every 7,500 between changes. If I have to change Mobil 1 every 5k like regular oil then I might as well stay with regular oil right?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    264 times
    Images

Default Re: Switched to Synthetic Oil. How many miles between changes?

I'd go 10K and depending on usage i.e. towing and "city stop n go" traffic vs majority freeway driving.

My truck specifies 10K intervals but the idiot reminder light still kicks in at 5K. I just manually reset it.
    Pacific NW Hippo
    BMW MOA; '03 K1200RS
    PCA since 1995; '78 911SC, '88 928S4

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
    I'd go 10K and depending on usage i.e. towing and "city stop n go" traffic vs majority freeway driving.

My truck specifies 10K intervals but the idiot reminder light still kicks in at 5K. I just manually reset it.

Thanks!. The thought of 10k did occur to me, especially with so many newer cars coming out now with much higher than 5k change intervals. I just wasn't sure if that would be pushing it or not.

THanks!

Liked
    18 times
    Images

Full Synthetic 0w-20 will be a 10k service. The 5k reminder light will still go on to remind you of the tire rotation. That light can not be set to a higher interval so it will come on every 5k.

As a reminder light, hell, it won't hurt to check your fluids and rotate your tires every 5k. Doesn't cost anything at all to do that if you do it yourself properly. If you go to a dealership if anything it will be $19.95 for the rotation (at least that is what mine is).

Hope that helped some.
    2012 Radiant Red Toyota Tundra TRD Sport

Mods: TRD CAI, TRD dual exhaust, TRD anti-sway bar, BHLM, Hitch, Toyota Black Tube Stepbars, Weather Tech In-Channel Vent Shades, MPG Add-on Buttons, Limited Power-Fold Exterior mirrors with Turn Signals, Toyota Tundra tailgate handle rear view mirror/camera,
    Toyota Fender Flairs, Toyota DRL L.E.D. mod, Kenwood DNX-9980

To Do: ProComp Nitro Leveling kit, "Alwayslooking" front and rear bumpers, TRD Big Brake Kit, TRD Supercharger, and more....

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

I'd send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs at 7,500 miles and see where you're at. It's only $25 for the analysis and is the only definitive way to know what your true OCI should be given your own driving habits, environment, etc.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    77 times

I have been debating this too. I will more than likely go 10K miles just because my truck sees pretty light duty...

Liked
    373 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Remmy700P View Post
    I'd send an oil sample off to Blackstone Labs at 7,500 miles and see where you're at. It's only $25 for the analysis and is the only definitive way to know what your true OCI should be given your own driving habits, environment, etc.
    That is by far the best thing to do.

There are too many variables (driving styles, traffic routines, engine health, etc) to simply say "10,000 miles is your new OTI.". Spend the $25 and get your truck's engine oil an annual physical.
    New to the forum? CLICK HERE!
    Questions about advertising? CLICK HERE!

Know the facts about Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act.

Link to Amsoil -->

Be an organ & tissue donor, register at DonateLife

Lurking Member Mike - '09 DoubleCab's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

This is very interesting to hear all your opinions. I have also thought about doing the same thing and going with synthetic. My truck sees light duty and barely any dirt or dust other than what is normally found by everyday driving. My dealership (Krause Toyota in Allentown PA) claims you can not extend the interval of oil changes by just simply changing to synthetic. Now I know they want to keep you coming back in so I get their stance on this. I would be intersted in hearing from Toyota that the warranty that still remains on any of our trucks whether it's the original or extended or powertrain will not be voided by going to 10k on the oil changes if using synthetic. I have an '09 so i do not require synthetic according to the manual, I hear the 10's and up require synthetic oil.

Also, someone mentioned doing tire changes every 5k, I agree with this philosophy and have gotten 100K twice out of BFG Long Trails on my previous vehicle a chevy blazer. I traded it in with 230k on it for the tundra. I recently bought Michelin LTX M/S2 's for the tundra from Sears Auto center and I found out that they have lifetime tire rotation if you buy a set of tires from them. It is covered at ANY Sears Auto center also. Saves me the time and trouble of doing it at home in the garage!!

Liked
    53 times

I'm going to have to send a sample of my Mobil 1 full synthetic off to Blackstone to see if my supercharger plays nicely with my oil.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.