installing front Bilstein 5100 on Tundra 5.7L

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing front Bilstein 5100 on Tundra 5.7L

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Default installing front Bilstein 5100 on Tundra 5.7L

Anyone installed the front shock for the Tundra 5.7L by themselves? Can you give me a quick DIY how to do it? I'm planning to do it myself to save some money. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times

Default Re: installing front Bilstein 5100 on Tundra 5.7L

I highly suggest another set of hands if this is your first time doin somethin like this.

Jack up the truck and put it on some stands. Loosen (do not remove) the lca cam bolts. Remove the swaybar end link bolt then remove the lower strut nut and bolt. Remove the two bolts that connect the spindle to the lower ball joint. Be careful cause the lca arm might swing down if you loosened the cam bolts enough. Now just remove the top four strut nuts and take the coilover out. Only other thing I can think of is.....if you have problems connecting the lower ball join to the spindle you can use a pry bar to pry the uca down or you can stick a jack under the lca to push it up.
    Tundra CM 4x4

3" Truxxx Lift w/ Diff. Drop - 1.5" Rear Blocks - 18x9 Ultra Mammoth Black w/machined accents - 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers - Weathertech Floor Liners - Frontier Cattle Guard - Line'Xd Bedliner - Line'Xd N-Fabs - 3M Protection - Backup Cam

4wd for Dummies>>>>4WD Simplified Version 4.0

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Thanks..what kind of spring compressor will I need to get the spring out? Does the one they loan out at Autozone surfice?

Liked
    11 times

I'm not to sure about the spring compressors from autozone. I've heard some stories about the compressors being kinda flimsy. If I were you I would tear both sides down and take them to a shop that has a wall mounted compressor.
    Tundra CM 4x4

3" Truxxx Lift w/ Diff. Drop - 1.5" Rear Blocks - 18x9 Ultra Mammoth Black w/machined accents - 35x12.50x18 Nitto Trail Grapplers - Weathertech Floor Liners - Frontier Cattle Guard - Line'Xd Bedliner - Line'Xd N-Fabs - 3M Protection - Backup Cam

4wd for Dummies>>>>4WD Simplified Version 4.0

Liked
    0 times
    Images

Im going to post a DIY tomorrow on this. Stay tuned
    2010 Toyota Tundra 4X4 5.7 V8.
    Car Wash/Wax/Interior all done with Turtle Wax ICE

Modifications
    • Anytime Fog Lights

Installed on the truck
    • Craftsman Diamond Plate Toolbox
    • Kenwood VHF Tk-880 Radio (Fire Department)

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/scottie4817/tundra

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie4817 View Post
    Looking forward to it Scottie.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie4817 View Post
    Also looking forward to this, points your way when it's up! How hard was the install would you say? I did the rears myself but thats not hard at all, also did the bed bounce tsb cab mount replacement myself as well.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by BLamb View Post
    Also looking forward to this, points your way when it's up! How hard was the install would you say? I did the rears myself but thats not hard at all, also did the bed bounce tsb cab mount replacement myself as well.
    Where did you get the parts to do the bed bounce? Truck is no longer under warranty?

Liked
    0 times
    Images

If you google how to install lift on 07 tundra it will give you a how to put a spacer lift in. Everything is about the same except strut part. You need to take the strut apart and yeah an autozone strut compressor will work but i wouldn't recommend it. When i did mine the compressor bowed out since the tundra springs are super stiff and dont forget if you are lifting the truck you will need to compress the spring further than normal to allow for the extra lift. I thought i had the wrong shocks at first but i realized the spring purch was adjusted and i had to compress those suckers even more. I would recommend having a buddy around since its kinda difficult putting everything back together.
    2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4 SR5 package. Pioneer AVIC-X940BT, 2 10" compvr kicker subwoofers, 300.1zx amp. tinted windows, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system with super 40 muffler dual in/out, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18, Bushwacker pocket fender flares, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 520 ATP lights. Infinity Kappa component speakers.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
    Where did you get the parts to do the bed bounce? Truck is no longer under warranty?
    Got them from TRD Sparks parts dept delivered to my door. Truck was out of warranty period by the time the TSB came around, dealers don't care that it is a known problem for any of the issues even major ones, they claim since it isn't a recall it is only "suggested and not mandatory".

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Got them from TRD Sparks parts dept delivered to my door. Truck was out of warranty period by the time the TSB came around, dealers don't care that it is a known problem for any of the issues even major ones, they claim since it isn't a recall it is only "suggested and not mandatory".
    Yup..I have the 07 5.7L too and warranty was out when that TSB came out. How much was the parts and how was the installation. I read teh TSB and it looks like it's a b*tch to intall. I have a torneau on so some weight may subside the bed bounce or do you still recommend me to replace the parts?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Couple pics of the Bilstein installed (from another user). Are all these stuffs must be removed to install the shock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilstein1.jpg 
Views:	2916 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	62853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bilstein2.jpg 
Views:	2896 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	62854  

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Yup..I have the 07 5.7L too and warranty was out when that TSB came out. How much was the parts and how was the installation. I read teh TSB and it looks like it's a b*tch to intall. I have a torneau on so some weight may subside the bed bounce or do you still recommend me to replace the parts?
    It was about $220 or so in parts give or take, install wasn't that hard, you have to jack the back of the cab up pretty high to get them out, made me a little nervous, kept rechecking the front bolts to make sure there was enough slack up there, it probably took me about 2 1/2 hours to do because I did it by myself and was going slow to make sure I did everything right. As for the difference, it reduces the "diving board" effect going over some bumps, i'd say it reduces the vibration by about 40-50%, it's still there but is better, so it just depends on how much the bed bounce bothers you as to if its worth the time and money to pursue.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

It was about $220 or so in parts give or take, install wasn't that hard, you have to jack the back of the cab up pretty high to get them out, made me a little nervous, kept rechecking the front bolts to make sure there was enough slack up there, it probably took me about 2 1/2 hours to do because I did it by myself and was going slow to make sure I did everything right. As for the difference, it reduces the "diving board" effect going over some bumps, i'd say it reduces the vibration by about 40-50%, it's still there but is better, so it just depends on how much the bed bounce bothers you as to if its worth the time and money to pursue.
    I'm tempting to do this. When you said jacking the bed up pretty high..How high is pretty high? And also, how do you raise it up that high? I think I can do it, but raising the bed is the part that get me nervous too. Thanks.

Liked
    11 times
    Images

I'm tempting to do this. When you said jacking the bed up pretty high..How high is pretty high? And also, how do you raise it up that high? I think I can do it, but raising the bed is the part that get me nervous too. Thanks.
    it's actually the cab, not the bed, and i'd say you need at least 3.5-4 inches off the frame to pull the old mount off, jack it up from the joint like in the pictures, the instructions in the TSB are pretty good and I just followed those. I used a floor jack with a 4x4 on the circular head part of the jack to give it a little extra height when jacking it up. When they say to loosen the front mounts, take the nut off and then hand tighten it back on, you need all the space on the front.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.