Question Abnormal tire wear

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: Abnormal tire wear

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Abnormal tire wear

2008 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x2 TSS with 18" Enkei wheels. I noticed the factory Bridgestone Deuler H/T 684 cupping severely on front after only 2,200 miles. Questioned dealership, who stated I was going through corners too fast (BS!). Started to get wheel hop and vibration (pronounced) at highway speeds on less than perfect road surfaces. Replaced factory tires @ 20,000 miles with Michelin LTX M/S 2 plus Road Force wheel balance at dealership. Same problem as above - after @ 2,500 miles - severe cupping on front and slight driver seat and steering wheel vibration (slight, but getting worse - I think). Noticed tire 'scrub-like noise' (once per revolution) when backing out of garage.
    Frustrated, confused, and almost out of warranty. Any advice would be appreciated.

What I have done.
    1) Toyota dealership @2,200 miles - Alignment checked (within spec)
    2) Bridgestone dealer @2,500 miles - Alignment checked (within spec)
    3) Sears @19,500 miles - bought Michelin LTX MS/2 tires had Alignment and balance done.
    4) Sears @19,600 miles - re-balance due to excessive vibration on road seams at highway speeds.
    5) Toyota @20,000 miles - performed Road Force Balance, but tires started showing signs of cupping again.
    6) Toyota dealership - Complained to Toyota dealer with same problems (Wheel hop and steering vibration) confirmed by technician - They located and replaced a faulty front right strut.

Still have problems with cupping (steering vibration / driver's seat vibration getting worse)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

Default Re: Abnormal tire wear

Take it to a shop that only does alignments. Dealerships suck at alignments. Usually have old equipment and poorly trained employees doing alignments

Liked
    13 times
    Images

we are correct in assuming no lift or anything and no body/frame repairs ever made correct? if so, do what is stated above although it looks like you already have. have you tried another dealer? that just doesnt sound right...
    2007 Super White DC SR5 , TRD OffRoad; Sand Beige leather, 4.7, tinted windows, OEM running boards, tow mirrors with chrome covers, Armorlid tonneau, billet grille, aftermarket reverse sensors, flowmaster true duals with 3.5 rolled edge stainless tips, Sirius added via OEM module, 5000K HID lowbeams, KMC XD Hoss 20'' wheels in gloss black, Nitto Terra Grappler AT 285/55/20's, chrome door handle covers, smoothed and painted tailgate handle, 3 inch lift/levelling kit,1.5'' Rough Country lift blocks in rear, DVD headrest player/monitors, Rostra backup camera, SS bull bar with 6'' lights, Faux Carbon Fiber dash,console and door trim. Work stuff: red/blue LEDs in grille, headlight wig wag flasher, red/blue LED windshield light, red/blue LED deck lights in back glass, red/blue split 4 LED lights either side of license plate, wig wag backup and brake lamps. 100 watt siren and PA.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable
    Quote Originally Posted by JMSinMD View Post
    what barney said sounds reasonable

Banned
    Liked
    751 times
    Images

when tire pressure is okay and you indeed don't corner like michael schumacher...

what barney said sounds reasonable..!!

man, awkward idea to not be able to figure out what the heck is wrong..!!

wishing you all the luck, keep us posted..!!

dikkie

Liked
    3 times

What air pressure are you running up front? These trucks are heavy....especially up front. DO NOT run recommended door pressure or you will get cupping and tire scrub. I found 42 psi up front and 35 in rear works well for me (unless towing...bump up rear psi).

Might be worth a try....cupping and wear on the edges is a sure sign of under inflation.
    2008 Tundra Crew Max TRD w/5.7 - Pyrite Mica, Bilstein 5100's all around, MB Torque Wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler 305's, Westin Bull Bar w/Lights, Bed Rails, Access Tonneau Cover

Liked
    185 times

My 08 2wd has the duellers and I am approaching 18k on it. The tires look great. Always keep tires at 40psi.
    Is it cupping on both sides? Do you rotate the tires? How many miles on tires between rotations?

Post pics.

BTW, did you get your letter about the wheel recall? They will replace the wheels for free.

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

i agree with the 40lbs of air pressure in the tires AT LEAST up front. i keep them all at 40, but you dont have to. i hate these Bridgestone Dueller tires that come stock. for my first 15k miles i had pretty bad outer tire wear and some cupping. i at that point only had them inflated to 35. ever since running them at 40, my tires are wearing more evenly and the cupping is still gradually going away. they are still more worn on the outer edges, but its slowly starting to even out. i now have 30,900 miles on my 08 Crewmax 4x4. i have about 5k left on them before its time for a new set. hope this helps!

Liked
    2 times

I have the Bridgestone Dueller tires and I've just pushed over 35k miles on my '08 DC this week. I'll be replacing them soon as they are just falling apart and I'll never buy that tire nor recommend it.

The wear on them stinks and I'm looking at the same size 275/65r18 in a Michelin but forget off the top of my head which model my local discount has in stock in that size.
    Chris
    '08 Timberland Mica SR5 5.7 SBDC 4x2 Prodigy P-2

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the quick input and suggestions. I will attempt to cover all questions so far.

Busaman - I agree that I have not been impressed with local dealership. Seems like they have forgotten about customer service being the key to repeat business. Love the Tundra, but not impressed with overall fit and finish or build quality.

Barney Fife - You are correct, no lift, all OEM parts, bought new so there better not have been any frame damage. Stopped at 2nd local Toyota dealership and asked about outstanding issues with Tundra steering dynamics, they were supposed to call back and did not. Sort of made me mad - thought it would be their opportunity to 'win' a customer.

Dikkie, Duerrs, SE2000, RyanVegas777, Ra21V12eN - At first I ran the Bridgestone with the stated 32 front and 35 rear. After initial shock of seeing the tires cupping at only 2,200 miles / 3 months and the trips to both Toyota and Bridgestone dealers, started running at 35 psi all around (As per Bridgestone) Since Michelin's, I have been running 35 psi as well. I have had always rotated every 5000 miles at Bridgestone since they did it for free. I haven't had the Michelin's long enough for a tire rotation. I will try the suggested 40 - 42 psi on front. And although I might occasionally release the 381 horses, I don't do truck slalom. With only 23k miles on Sept. 08 purchase and the second set of tires, I am pretty sure there is something going on with the truck.

I think the 4x2 TSS package has lighter struts than a truck of this size should have on it. When the front right strut was replaced I asked if they should do both but got the impression I wasn't the sharpest knife in their drawer. The loaner they provided was a 4x4 DC and although new - it was extremely tight and was like driving a different truck - Yeah I know not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Liked
    185 times

Don't think GST replaces the struts. You probably have the grade struts, same as me. You might want to replace them with some upgraded models such as 5100 or 9000. Was the loaner a trd or rock warrior? they have different struts/ shocks

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The loaner was a TRD which I attributed to the tighter ride, but it is what I want mine to feel like. I increased front psi to 40 last night and it did seem to help, I will continue to monitor. Again thanks to all who reply.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

My rents truck had this same issue and i told them to go get it realigned and check the pressure regularly. So for no more problems
    2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 4x4 SR5 package. Pioneer AVIC-X940BT, 2 10" compvr kicker subwoofers, 300.1zx amp. tinted windows, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back exhaust system with super 40 muffler dual in/out, Bilstein 5100s front and rear, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18, Bushwacker pocket fender flares, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA 520 ATP lights. Infinity Kappa component speakers.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I appreciate all the responses. I have increased tire psi on the front to 40 which oddly enough seems to make the truck ride smoother. I think with 35 psi the front tires seem to flex more. I had tried 38 psi on the Michelin's right after purchase, but had significant wheel hop, which was probably caused by the faulty strut and never thought to try higher psi since. I still believe that there is something else at the root of this issue, I will continue to monitor tire wear and will keep everyone posted as I find time to solve it.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Update. Had Tundra in for scheduled maintenance and once more brought up front tire outside tread wear. They looked over the truck and found that the Right Rear Strut was leaking and replaced it. That now gives the right side of my truck new struts. They mentioned the 18" Enkei wheels having a possible defect with hairline cracks possible, but of course mine checked out. I will continue to be diligent and let the forum know what I find out what is going on. Riprock