Emissions testing problem in CO

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emissions testing problem in CO

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Default Emissions testing problem in CO

just got my plate renewal and i have to go get the stupid emissions test.

Problem? - they claim their dynamometers cannot accomodate tires larger then 34"

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

figured i woudl go and try to claim i had oem tires since the wheels are oem but if that doesn't work. I thought about borrowing some wheels/tires off another tundra" - hopefully free or some beer
    or
    buying really cheap used tires and mounting them - costs money

Any ideas?
    2007 Tundra 4x4, Nautical Blue, 5.7, SR5, RCSB, NUVI 660, Ipod Nano Gen 3, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, Bedrug, LT295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, SS Exhaust tip, Stebel Compact truck horn, Auto-Dim w/compass rear view mirror, Silverstar (H11ST, 9005SU, 9145ST). Boston Acoustic S60, Kicker 50x2 Amp, Dynamat, Debadged, 2.5" Lift w/ F&R Bilstein 5100, 1" LRO tapered aluminum block, LRO diff drop, Hypertech inline speedo calibrator

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    11 times
    Images

Default Re: Emissions testing problem in CO

that's really dumb, sorry about your troubles. I would check craigslist and see if you can find someone who will sell you some steelies with some tires with "passable tread" and just swap them out at inspection times. I saw a set here in texas for $50 the other day.

Liked
    31 times
    Images

Take a tape measure to it and show them they don't measure over 34".... IIRC, they measure like 33 something with the weight of the vehicle.

-rockstate

Liked
    3 times
    Images

good ideas

dogstate .. i'll try but remember i'll be dealing with state employees! .. i can only hope they don't enter the tire dimensions and their software comes up with a big red NO!

any idea if that is typical when running a dynamometer?
    2007 Tundra 4x4, Nautical Blue, 5.7, SR5, RCSB, NUVI 660, Ipod Nano Gen 3, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, Bedrug, LT295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, SS Exhaust tip, Stebel Compact truck horn, Auto-Dim w/compass rear view mirror, Silverstar (H11ST, 9005SU, 9145ST). Boston Acoustic S60, Kicker 50x2 Amp, Dynamat, Debadged, 2.5" Lift w/ F&R Bilstein 5100, 1" LRO tapered aluminum block, LRO diff drop, Hypertech inline speedo calibrator

M24
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by eatyourroadkill View Post
    just got my plate renewal and i have to go get the stupid emissions test.

Problem? - they claim their dynamometers cannot accomodate tires larger then 34"

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

figured i woudl go and try to claim i had oem tires since the wheels are oem but if that doesn't work. I thought about borrowing some wheels/tires off another tundra" - hopefully free or some beer
    or
    buying really cheap used tires and mounting them - costs money

Any ideas?
    Gawd!!!! Sounds like you are living in Kommie-fornia! That's crazy! They can't make you change your tires for a smog test. I would fight that one tooth-and-nail! Make them give you the idle test. Tell them that is the way your truck was configured when you bought it.

That's just nutz! Damn Lib-Tards and their stupid smog tests. I'd bet more crap comes out of Al Gore's mouth than out your Tundra's tailpipe!

Tundra-itis... there is no cure!
    --------------------

2011 Superwhite CrewMax, SR5, TRD Off Road 4x4. Mods: Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, AMP Power Boards, Bed Rug, Truck Covers USA rolling bed cover, Toyota hood deflector, SolarShield tint, Husky Liners, WeatherTech vent visors, de-badged.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

the liberals in this state have al "internet" gore shrines in their houses.

thought i would go to the testing site in broomfield instead of boulder ... kinda similar to la jolla versus el cajon

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    124 times
    Images

I would definitely show up and play stupid. If they catch it then I guess you'll have no choice but to buy some take offs. If you do you may try the dealership, they may have some takeoffs that are just collecting dust that they want to sell really cheap. When they do the testing do they check for the TPMS light? If so that will be another issue if you just switch wheels and tires. How often is the test? Thank God we don't have crap like this in the south!
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Liked
    4 times

There are a ton on cheap-o tires on craigslist for tundras. I've been checking because some one stole my emblem and i need to replace it and been scanning the auto parts for Tundra.

Also, If you can't find any or don't wanna buy any you can use mine. 285/65/18. I use my truck only as a secondary truck so she sits in the garage most the time.

Gotta promise to bring em back tho.... haha!!!!
    2007 tundra TRD - 18' XD Monsters

Liked
    613 times

I'm surprised that CO is so concerned about emissions. I mean, we are talking about a state that is covered in a cloud of smoke...

Liked
    0 times

Well... If you are are going to be covered by a cloud I guess it should be that one

2011 Tundra SR5 TRD 4x4 Off Road Pack
    18" Alloys BFG Rugg Trails, KnN Filter, DeBadged
    Bilstein's, Tow Pack, Rhino,XM Radio
    5.7L V8, Front Buckets, Brushed SS Steps

Liked
    3 times
    Images

Hey Bundles .. what emblem are you missing? i debadged and you can have any/all of them

Liked
    4 times

I'm missing the front toyota emblem. I can't figure out what I'm going to do.

I thought of trying to get the all black grill and off the "basic" model. buy a new one or try to find a cool aftermarket one. Any thoughts?
    2007 tundra TRD - 18' XD Monsters

Liked
    14 times

A guy at work was in the same boat. He ended up borrowing some tires from another guy who also had an F-150.

I know this won't help you this time, but next year make sure to drvie past one of those mobile emissions test stations. Yes, they can test you here while you drive onto the highway onramp. If you pass one of those, I think you are exempt from getting it tested the next time. I didn't need a test last year, but I didn't drive the truck and needed a test this year. I hate that emissions crap, most people just used a Weld County address, but they are testing now too. Now the lines are even longer!

Liked
    3 times
    Images

thanks for the van info .. was just reading about it on the air quality site.

damn ... wish i knew about it 3 months ago .. the deadline has past for me .

Mark it eight, Dude... MaylonTRD's Avatar
    Liked
    124 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asianflava View Post
    drvie past one of those mobile emissions test stations. Yes, they can test you here while you drive onto the highway onramp.
    This blows my mind.... I can't picture how this works???
    2014 4Runner Limited Blizzard Pearl- Wife's
    2014 Tundra CM SR5 5.7l TSS Edition Magnetic Gray ProComp 6", XD809 18x9 -12 offset, trail grappler 35x12.50

2007 Tundra CM SR5 5.7 2WD TRD Slate SOLD
    Skyjacker 6" lift, BFG KO 305/65R18 (33.7"x12.2") XD Hoss Chrome 18x9 +30 offset, Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, Debadged, AFE Pro Dry Drop-in Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, HomeLink Rear View Mirror, Ranch Hand Grille Guard, Custom Spintech Muffler, Pioneer head unit, RF shallow mount sub, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast