5.7L Oil Change - Tips?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Thread: 5.7L Oil Change - Tips?

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

Default 5.7L Oil Change - Tips?

I'm in the process of changing the oil on my 5.7 Crewmax. There has to be an easier way. The plastic oil filter housing was stripped. I have the aluminum housing to do the conversion. Is it necessary to remove the plug and push up on the spring loaded valve? It makes a huge mess and gets oil all over my tools and hand. Any tips would helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Default Re: 5.7L Oil Change - Tips?

I hate to be the one that says it first but there has been so many threads and discussions about oil changes...use the search button or try this link
    DIY: Oil Change w/ pics. & Reset Maintenance Required Light
    Black 2014 Platinum 4x4, seems to have ALL the options, Flowmaster Dual Delta 40's, K&N drop in filter, LineX,4" Tuff Country Suspension lift, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.50/18, Moto Metal M0961's in Chrome 18x9. Fully DeBadged , Stebel horn, TRD Swaybar, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, 10,000 lb winch, 5000K HID's (all), Production date 8/07
    "CBTMA Member"

Black 2007 D/C Limited 4x4-SOLD
    1997 Chevy Tahoe Sport 4x4 (R.I.P)
    2008 Sequoia Ltd. Slate Metallic (purchased on 3/28/09)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan 1985

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I know, I know....I actually have the DIY printed out and used. In addition, I should mention that I have the filter wrench from ASTtool.com. It fits much better than the normal 65/67 filter wrench. I also found a plastic thing for the oil filter drain plug in the box with the Toyota filter. I think that might be useful, especially if I connected a rubber hose to it. In addition, the DIY doesn't have torque specs.

ft/# = Foot / Pounds of Torque)

4.0L V6 Engine
    Oil Pan Drain Plug 30 ft/#
    Oil Filter 13 ft/#

4.7L V-8
    Oil Pan Drain Plug 29 ft/#
    Oil Filter 13 ft/#

5.7L V-8
    Oil Pan Drain Plug 30 ft/#
    Oil Filter Drain Plug 9 ft/#
    Oil Filter Cap 18 ft/#

Liked
    30 times
    Images

LOL...okay. Thanks!
    Black 2014 Platinum 4x4, seems to have ALL the options, Flowmaster Dual Delta 40's, K&N drop in filter, LineX,4" Tuff Country Suspension lift, Nitto Trail Grapplers 35/12.50/18, Moto Metal M0961's in Chrome 18x9. Fully DeBadged , Stebel horn, TRD Swaybar, Craven Speed Stubby Antenna, 10,000 lb winch, 5000K HID's (all), Production date 8/07
    "CBTMA Member"

Black 2007 D/C Limited 4x4-SOLD
    1997 Chevy Tahoe Sport 4x4 (R.I.P)
    2008 Sequoia Ltd. Slate Metallic (purchased on 3/28/09)

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The MARINES don't have that problem."
    President Ronald Reagan 1985

Liked
    0 times

well i just went through this myself. just pull your pan underneath the filter before you screw the plastic thing into the plug. you shouldn't need a hose as its not that messy, drains straight down. being that you have the right filter wrench and once you change out the stripped plastic cap for the aluminum cap it really shouldn't be that bad to change....it looks and seems like alot more of an aggravation than it actually is. trust me

Liked
    20 times

Go to Home depot and get a 5 gallon bucket ($3), it fits neatly under the oil pan and eliminates spatter.
    Michael Borquez
    2008 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7 2wd
    Standard options: Sunroof, Fog lamps
    Added: Toyota step bars, Optitron gauges, Leather steering wheel w/ audio controls, Chrome handles, weather tech mats

Liked
    2 times
    Images

I found that a rectangular oil pan worked the best. It caught the oil when it came out full-force, then caught the drips w/o ever moving the pan. When the oil comes out full-force, it'll come out near the wheel, so position the far esge of the pan close to wheel at first.

Yes, you will need to change out the innards of your aluminum canister, including the spring and the pressure plate under the spring. You probably already know this, but you have to bend the tabs to get the center portion of the canister out.

Good luck !!!
    2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 Limited Salsa Red CrewMax

Wheels and tires
    Engine
    Oil filter
    Windows
    Air filter
    Air conditioning
    Seats

Send POINTS, not thanks or compliments....

Supporter
    Liked
    0 times

I didn't change out the spring and pressure plate. Is that really needed?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

OMLG...7+ quarts is a lot of oil. Especially expensive when you go amsoil. I of course under estimated my pan and made a big mess. but she's good till April now.

Liked
    193 times
    Images

my diesel f-250 took 15 quarts of 15w40

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    01 Tundra 4.7L 4x4 TRD access cab- Camburg uniball UCAs, OME 886 coils, 5100s
    Dynapro ATM 285/75r16 on American Racing Chamber teflon wheels
    electric fans, undercover snorkel, extended breathers, muffler swap, dvd player, remote start

slow build thread - http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ol-s-01-Tundra

Liked
    61 times

[QUOTE=seanpistol;1841641]my diesel f-250 took 15 quarts of 15w40 =QUOTE]

Cripes, I thought t was tough going from my sienna(5qts and a dash) to my 4.6 tundra! And I can't imagine going amsoil. I will be going synthetic on my next change, prolly mobile1.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

My first time to change the oil on my 08 5.7. 50k miles on the Tundra, all previous changes were at the dealer under the now expired maintenance contract. I switched to Mobil 1 5-20, wasn't bad at all. Couldn't get the plug out of the bottom of the filter housing till I removed the housing and took it to a vice, dam thing was so tight I didn't think I would ever get it off. When I put it all back together I used the new "O" rings that came with the filter and a torque wrench to tighten everything back to specs, should be a good bit easier next time.

Wasn't too messy, used a three gallon bucket with a plastic liner to catch the oil. Cleanup was a breeze, poured the old oil back into the Mobil 1 containers and gave it all to my neighbor, said he could use the old oil at work. Trashed the plastic liner and cleaned up a few drips off the garage floor. The entire job took little more than an hour and a half and about $50.00 less than the dealer wanted for a change with synthetic oil.

Also rotated the tires and checked the brakes and roters.
    2008 DC 5.7 LTD "Big Red", Leather w heated seats. LineX bed liner, Extend a bed, ARE hard bed cover, DIY underseat rear storage, (Nav mod, all nav functions all the time), Always on backup camera switch, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Sway bar, Supercharged, Auburn LSD with stock 4.30 gears.