The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Default The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

With only 32k on my 08 CM Limited I had been feeling the dreaded shake when moderately braking from highway speeds... Replaced all four with Power Slot Cryo (aka frozen to resist warping) rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Spent lots of time making sure everything was lubed with Permatex Extreme Ceramic and anti-seized, etc... Thus far good results (but just barely bedded the pads). Soon we will see if the Cryo rotors were worth the premium price...

Then it's time to put the 5100's on the front end to level her (the rear ones made a marked improvement in daily driving - worth every penny from AJUSA)!

Lots of GOOD info on this forum!
    AJUSA.com likes this.
    2008 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4x4. Silver Metallic with Red Rock interior.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

My 2010 CM had front warpped rotors at 22K miles. Replaced under warranty. If they warp again, I'll go the same route you did with the Power Slot and Hawks.

2010 Tundra CM 5.7L w/ TRD OffRoad Package
    TRD RSB & Shift Knob, Chrome Door Handles, Limited Mirrors w/ Power Fold Mod & 20" Wheels, Platinum Grill, WTech FLs, Backup Sys, Hard Tonneau, Rhino Liner, SS Boards, Recon LED Bars, Nokya Fogs, Anytime Fogs Mod, DDM 35W 5K HIDs, Factory Alarm Activated, Hella LED BRKLTs, V-LEDs, Clazzio Seat Covers, AFe Pro Dry S Filter, Matched Fender Flares, DRL "On" Mod, Bilstein 5100's all around!

Liked
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fredthenuke View Post
    With only 32k on my 08 CM Limited I had been feeling the dreaded shake when moderately braking from highway speeds... Replaced all four with Power Slot Cryo (aka frozen to resist warping) rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Spent lots of time making sure everything was lubed with Permatex Extreme Ceramic and anti-seized, etc... Thus far good results (but just barely bedded the pads). Soon we will see if the Cryo rotors were worth the premium price...

Then it's time to put the 5100's on the front end to level her (the rear ones made a marked improvement in daily driving - worth every penny from AJUSA)!

Lots of GOOD info on this forum!
    How much do the 5100's and Power Slot Cryo rotors run?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

The Cryo's for a Tundra are roughly $150 each on autoanything.com - sign up for their email and you can get 10% off and free shipping (they will send you this offer about monthly). But be warned - they are custom frozen when ordered - aka take up to 4 weeks to arrive. These are expensive but if they stop the warping issue they will be worth every penny.

The 5100's are best bought from AJUSA - $307 for all four including shipping. Search this forum - there is a rep from AJUSA (Chas) that if you go through him will honor this price (tundrasolutions discount).

Link to the thread:

Bilstien 5100 Price cannot be beat!
    Last edited by Fredthenuke; 09-19-2011 at 08:50 AM.

Supercharged Member Time4change's Avatar
    Liked
    183 times

The Cryo's for a Tundra are roughly $150 each on autoanything.com - sign up for their email and you can get 10% off and free shipping (they will send you this offer about monthly). But be warned - they are custom frozen when ordered - aka take up to 4 weeks to arrive. These are expensive but if they stop the warping issue they will be worth every penny.

The 5100's are best bought from AJUSA - $307 for all four including shipping. Search this forum - there is a rep from AJUSA (Chas) that if you go through him will honor this price (tundrasolutions discount).

Link to the thread:

Good warning.

I bought some off of flea-bay and even though the listing said "12 in stock".

The vendor said 4-6 weeks for delivery....

When I cancelled the order, I got the "failure to pay" death warnings.

Ended up with e-lines slotted and drilled (yes, I know the raging debate) in the "harder" iron........paid $200; so far, so good.

Best change so far has been going cheap, organic pads. After a couple months now, wheels are as clean as can be....
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

Liked
    58 times

Link to the thread:

Thanks for the shoutout. We also carry the Powerslot cryo rotors and will beat any advertised price, normally for around $132-135 a rotor. Our Hawk price is the lowest in the country for TS members. I've sold a bunch of HAWK LTS and Cryo rotor setups with nothing but positive results. I run the non cryo rotor myself and its holding up extremely well, using Hawk HPS pads.

Check them out here.

Brake Rotors, Pads, BBK's! No more warping!

Power Slot Cryo Treated Slotted Rotors for 2008 TOYOTA TUNDRA

Liked
    3 times
    Images

I went with a slotted and dimpled rotor for mine after I put SC on and they have been awesome. I have certainly put them to the test....
    athena@brakeperformance.comwww.brakeperformance.comI got the premium rotors and premium pads. I didnt want the potential for the ceramics to squel. Athena is great to work with and I couldnt be more please with the end result. I'll take some pics if any one wants to see them on.

Liked
    3 times
    Images

accidently double posted...this one deleted.
    Last edited by dragaeran; 09-21-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: delete a double post

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

How is the hawk lts? Is it dusty? How's the stopping power?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

do not have enough miles on them to determine how dusty they are yet... Only have 70 miles thus far and it's been raining for 2 days straight.

stopping power is not the best when cold (for first mile or two in my neighborhood) but once they warm up they will lock up the tires if you want them too (and set off the VSC).... Very good stopping power thus far! And in heavy rain without riding them to dry off the rotors they work very well!

Liked
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
    How is the hawk lts? Is it dusty? How's the stopping power?
    Stopping power is better than stock for sure. Brake pedal application is very smooth and not grabby. Dust level is similar to stock, HPS and SD are very dusty pads, LTS are lower dust, Ceramics are the lightest dust

Liked
    16 times

i just put on the powerstop non-cryo and Lts pads. i broke them in per the instructions and was a bit nervous because they kinda sucked. Now That i have some more miles on them they are awesome! way better than stock. i would be suprized if they warped like my stock ones, the cooling seems a lot better and they shouldnt corode inside the cooling fins because they are painted. also the slots should technically help get rid of the dust that builds on the rotors and contributes to the warp.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Same here - when I completed the Hawk bedding procedure (6-10 moderate stops from 35 and then 2 full power stops from 45+) it seemed to glaze the pads... They were very slippery until they warmed up. Now that I have about 200 miles on the pads they are VERY good! Braking in the pouring rain feels just about like braking on a sunny dry day... And both are much firmer than the factory pads/rotors...

Liked
    58 times

The Hawk pads have a very specific break in procedure and do take a hundred miles or so before they are fully operational.

Brake Pad Installation Procedure

Bed-In Instructions

GMP
    Liked
    0 times

Would this discount apply to rotors/pads for my wife's '06 Nissan Pathfinder? My Tundra is starting to show signs of warped rotors, but the Nissan is far worse and needs attention ASAP. If so what would you recommend? Thanks.
    Glenn

'10 Tundra Crewmax
    '08 Ducati Hypermotard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast