Question Brake pads...Who makes OEM Toyota pads...NPN?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads...Who makes OEM Toyota pads...NPN?

Liked
    0 times

Default Brake pads...Who makes OEM Toyota pads...NPN?

Hello

I'm at about 65k miles and its about time to replace the original brake pads. I called the dealer and got a price for genuine toyota pads. So I thought I would go online and see if I can get them for less somewhere else.

I did search these forums never really found what I was looking for.

Question is
    1. What actual brand makes genuine toyota brake pads....? Im trying to find somethine Equivalent to what is on my truck right now seeing Im at 105000km's(65000miles) and my pads are still ok but getting down there.

the dealer gave me a price of 98.19(Can) per axle. I never asked what brand they were, just said i wanted genuine toyota ones. I found NPN brake pads online with the same list price but they are on sale for a lower price.

2. How good are the NPN brand brake pads? Searched these forums and got only one hit on NPN pads. Also googled but no clear answers. If anyone is familiar with this brand please pipe in.

thanks in advance.

2008 tundra DC 4x4
    Last edited by LABRADORIAN70; 09-30-2011 at 04:01 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Default Re: Brake pads...Who makes OEM Toyota pads...NPN?

The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

Check this out..

My pads are shot for the second time at 64k miles.

-rockstate

Liked
    135 times

Akebono is one of the OEM pad makers.

Steve
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by dogstate View Post
    The Famed Warped Rotor Syndrome

Check this out..

My pads are shot for the second time at 64k miles.

-rockstate
    what brand are you using?

Liked
    30 times
    Images

When I get mine, I'm going to do the Centric Premiums and Hawk LTS pads. There's another thread on this first page with some part numbers and prices and who to order from. Great prices too.

-rockstate

Veteran Member
    Liked
    357 times

I believe StevJ is right about Akebono being one of the OEM pad companies

I've used Hawk street pads over the years and will put them on my Tundra soon.

Hawk pads for the Tundra.
    P/N HB590Z.682 Disc Brake Pad; Performance Ceramic w/0.682 Thickness; Rear;
    P/N HB589Z.704 Disc Brake Pad; Performance Ceramic w/0.704 Thickness; Front;

Liked
    7 times
    Images

When I get mine, I'm going to do the Centric Premiums and Hawk LTS pads. There's another thread on this first page with some part numbers and prices and who to order from. Great prices too.

-rockstate
    I highly recommend Hawk LTS pads and Centric Premium rotors. I just did all four. They work very well and are a big improvement over stock. Chas from AJUSA will hook you up and give you a discount if you mention Tundra Solutions.com. He also shipped mine for free.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
    TNRiverjet
    2007 Tundra TRD Crewmax LTD, Red Rock interior, Line-X, Undercover tonneau, Michelin 275/70/18 LTX MS2's, Tint, Bilstein 5100's front, OEM black alum tube steps, AIP mod. Selling... Argh...

Liked
    30 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNriverjet View Post
    I highly recommend Hawk LTS pads and Centric Premium rotors. I just did all four. They work very well and are a big improvement over stock. Chas from AJUSA will hook you up and give you a discount if you mention Tundra Solutions.com. He also shipped mine for free.

You notice an improvement over stock?

Also, what's the difference between those and OEM other than maybe price? Do you know if they will reduce the chance of warping better than OEM or wahtever the local shop wants to put on?

-rockstate

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-X View Post
    I believe StevJ is right about Akebono being one of the OEM pad companies

I've used Hawk street pads over the years and will put them on my Tundra soon.

Hawk pads for the Tundra.
    P/N HB590Z.682 Disc Brake Pad; Performance Ceramic w/0.682 Thickness; Rear;
    P/N HB589Z.704 Disc Brake Pad; Performance Ceramic w/0.704 Thickness; Front;
    Excellent info so far! How do these Hawk's compare to OEM toyota brake pads?(Akebono, for example)

thanks

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by TNriverjet View Post

Thanks! Im in Canada, so the shipping is not free, i might have to pay duty plus the 5% current exchange rate.

I can get the hawk's LTS pads here in Canada for $193.77 taxes in, free shipping. dealer wants $221 taxes in for genuine Toyota pads.

So the question is which pad is better?......i've already posted that question plus i think someone else has too.

cheers!!

Liked
    5 times

I still don't understand how people are having brake issue. i got 135,000 KM out of the frist set of pads and the Rotors still look like new. My truck never gets a day off. I either have the long box full of matterials and/or towiing a trailer in a mountainous area. I swear there must be a lot of tundra drivers that use 2 feet at once while driving.
    Double cab long box 4x4 5.7 L slate grey . would have bought a limited if available with long box

Liked
    7 times
    Images

You notice an improvement over stock?

Also, what's the difference between those and OEM other than maybe price? Do you know if they will reduce the chance of warping better than OEM or wahtever the local shop wants to put on?

-rockstate
    Rock,
    They "feel" better to me, but that is very subjective. The originals I replaced had 115,000 miles plus. They seem to have a better pedal feel. I've heard other say that these Centric premium rotors don't warp like the OEM ones. I have put about 3,000 miles on them and everything is working as promised.

TNRiverjet
    2007 Tundra TRD Crewmax LTD, Red Rock interior, Line-X, Undercover tonneau, Michelin 275/70/18 LTX MS2's, Tint, Bilstein 5100's front, OEM black alum tube steps, AIP mod. Selling... Argh...

Hall of Fame Member Mr. Creosote's Avatar
    Liked
    1524 times

Yes, I drive the s**t out of mine. 56000 km (35000 miles) and the front pads are almost gone.
    Attention environmentalists, reduce emissions from this:

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I posted somewhere else and I once too had brake problems. Warping rotors at 30,000 miles and I never towed a thing. I found these, there nothing new but they last!
    High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors

I don't sell them, but I do swear by them. My suggestion is get the frozen slotted and stick with Toyota pads. They will not give you a ton of brake dust like the Hawk and other after market pads.

Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by van isle View Post
    I still don't understand how people are having brake issue. i got 135,000 KM out of the frist set of pads and the Rotors still look like new. My truck never gets a day off. I either have the long box full of matterials and/or towiing a trailer in a mountainous area. I swear there must be a lot of tundra drivers that use 2 feet at once while driving.
    i certainly was not complaining, im at 105,000km, but i need to take a close look at the pads to see how much are left. they are not squeaking or making any noises but Im sure they must be getting close to the end.

My post is simply asking if NPN pads are any good and also to find out a good replacement that is equal of better than original oem toyota pads that are on the truck right now. No one so far has even commented on the NPN pads. Im simply happy putting the "same Quality" pads like what is on there now, and getting them at the best price.

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast