4.6L vs 5.7L vs 4.0L V6 Tacoma gas mileage - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

View Poll Results: daily driving gas mileage?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4.6L city

5 11.90%
  • 4.6L highway

5 11.90%
  • 5.7L city

19 45.24%
  • 5.7L highway

22 52.38%
  • 4.0L V6 city

4 9.52%
  • 4.0L V6 highway

3 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 4.6L vs 5.7L vs 4.0L V6 Tacoma gas mileage

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Re: 4.6L vs 5.7L vs 4.0L V6 Tacoma gas mileage

I've got a 2010 4.6 4X4 Tundra w/ 25K on it.

I Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip elk hunting. 16mpg average at 80mph. City average is about 15 and the best I ever did was on a 1,000 mile road trip to the noth shore thru MN, I got 23.3mpg but that was driving at 60mpg. I only burn premium fuel and never ethanol. I have a K&N air filter and everything else is stock from the factory.

If I drive fast I get 16 mpg, if I drive at 70mph I get an average of 18-19mpg, not bad for a full size pick up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    0 times

I just traded my Tundra 4.6l. Hindsight the wonderful thing that it is, tells me it was a mistake. In my semi mountainous driving I was always shifting and using alot more gas pedal than I liked. Mileage was dismal. I attribute it to too much truck for the small displacement engine. It may be fine for a Lexus but not a heavy full sized truck.

Liked
    20 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.ellis View Post

I Just got back from a 3,000 mile trip elk hunting. 16mpg average at 80mph. City average is about 15 and the best I ever did was on a 1,000 mile road trip to the noth shore thru MN, I got 23.3mpg but that was driving at 60mpg. I only burn premium fuel and never ethanol. I have a K&N air filter and everything else is stock from the factory.

If I drive fast I get 16 mpg, if I drive at 70mph I get an average of 18-19mpg, not bad for a full size pick up.
    Agree, 5 or 10 MPH actually mean 1 to 3 MPG different . I got 19MPG when doing 70 75MPH . Got 16 when doing 80 85 and 13 or 14 when 85 to 90. And no head wind ( yes , you will see 1 or 2 MPG with head wind)
    Tail gate down help 1 MPG ( I tested myself - I forgot the result from the Myths-buster)

Liked
    0 times

Thumbs up Re: 4.6L vs 5.7L vs 4.0L V6 Tacoma gas mileage

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.ellis View Post

After a long debate bought a 2010 Tundra 4.6L 4x4 TRD O/R with 60k kms (37,500 miles) and am glad of my purchase. Took it for a test drive for 39miles...achieved 17.6mpg hwy. I had a 4x4 DC taco with a cap and i got worser mileage. The cap reduces the mileage by abt 2 mpg.

Liked
    32 times

its funny that i see the argument of "too much truck" or "not enough engine" in regards to the 4.6l when it has as much or more power than trucks had for decades, with far more advanced technology, a broader, flatter torque curve and pretty amazing efficiency. It all comes down to how you drive. If you drive in a fuel efficient manner you WILL get better mileage out of the smaller engines, but the problem is Americans do NOT drive in an efficient manner at all. If you drive 60mph on the freeway in a 55mph or 60mph zone you will have people blasting past you, same with easing out at lights, and costing to lights. Normal driving does not require 400 lb/ft of torque, nor does it require 330 lb/ft of torque. Normal driving requires FAR less than the peak output of these trucks, that is why you see people with the 4.0 v6 pulling 18+mpg in the city and as high as 24 or 25 on the freeway.
    The times you need peak power is when hauling a large load, a large trailer, or when driving like its a race car.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I had an 06 4.0L DBL TRD Long bed Taco about a month ago before i swapped it for a tundra (10' RW DBL 5.7). I used the heck outta that taco and it took everything. The gas mileage is what i miss most now...I would avg about 20 mpg zippin around. Hwy was much better.

I pulled a 4K# boat with trailer, people and supplies after some suspension upgrades. Sure it wasnt a perfect solution but it worked for 4 years.

Now, we need seating for 3 car seats/boosters. Enter Tundra... Bigger in every way. Avg mpgs right around 15.5.

IMO the Taco is a superb fit for 90% of truck owners. The gas mpg, everyday driveablilty, and zippyness in traffic are huge pros. The suspension was matched much better, less roll, and the agility of a cat compared to Tundra. Now, if your one of those dudes where bigger is better and you NEED a big truck to stoke your ego with a gas hunger V8 and have the need 2 pull more than 3K# regularly then go with the Tundra.

Liked
    118 times

Quote Originally Posted by shellbak View Post
    Now, if your one of those dudes where bigger is better and you WANT a big truck to stoke your ego,
    OR, have the NEED 2 pull more than 3K# regularly then go with the Tundra.
    Fix'd it for ya.

Liked
    9 times
    Images

I often think I want to punch a smaller hole....... through the air when I'm driving.
    Bilstein 5100's ; 305/65r18 Wild Peaks ; 2" rear shackles ; TRD sway bar ; K & N filter ; 4.6L engine looking for 4.88 gears and lockers

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

i agree with 9rider. i had a 2005 4WD tacoma and needed something a bit more to fit all 4 adults and went to get the 5.7 - mainly because everyone is scarred of them and you can find some good deals used sometimes.. anyways, my tacoma might get 20mph if i ran it down the highway unloaded at 52mph or something.
    i towed 2 jetskis' on my taco and barely got 15 i think. it sucked - empty i got 17-18 on long trips empty.

my tundra is huge, big ol back seat and alot of interior room and can tow like a 'mother. empty i have gotten 20+ average on a 300mile highway trip from UT to LasVegas... but normally driving to work it does 17-19 easy...

it all depends on how big a truck you need. i liked the bigger interior and i regularly tow 3-5 bikes on a 12foot trailer -- this is way better. if you do alot of city driving, then maybe i would stick with Tacoma - dont get me wrong thats a great truck - but like someone said... i cant wait to see what new TACoMA will look like - if it finaly gets 24-26mpg on a v6 then maybe ill switch !

b
    Quote Originally Posted by 9rider View Post
    I was in the same situation like you. Torn between 4.6 vs 5.7 vs 4.0 taco. MPG was pretty much the same ( 2 or 3 MPG different = as sticker stated). Went to dealer to buy a 4.6 and end up a 5.7 . Happy with my decision back then. Unless you drive 100 miles a day, an extra of 4 or 5 bucks every fill won't make you happier.
    PS: My MPG ( 2 persons + 100 lbs ) commute 400 mile = about 19mpg. ( about 21mpg down the hill and 17 to make it up - US395 -victorville to bishop)

2008 Tundra CrewMAX TRD 2WD
    5.7L Black-on-Black
    Bridgestone Revo2 275-65-18 on TRDs
    3-1 leveling 5100's
    HID interior/exterior lighting
    HID Headlights
    Aluminum DoorSil Protectors
    Polk Audio 6.25 in-door

Liked
    5 times
    Images

I had a 2009 DC Prerunner 4.0L Taco before trading it in on my 2011 CM 5.7 Tundra 4x4. I averaged a consistant 16.8 mpg with the Taco and my driving style (semi-aggressive). I'm averaging 15.6 mpg with the Tundra but I am more conscious about fuel consumption with it as compared to the Taco. I manually calculate the mpg from actual miles driven divided by the gallons to fill back up for every tank of gas I buy. I drive about 70% city (short runs) and 30% highway (+20 mile trips). The drop in fuel mileage compared to the Taco more than offsets the benefits of more room and additional power for towing when needed. Best mileage in the Tacoma was 21.3mpg and 18.9mpg in the Tundra for a single tank of gas. I miss the Tacoma but love the Tundra if that makes sense?!?
    The only people who don't make mistakes are the people who don't do anything, but that in itself is a mistake!!

Trail FX Low Profile Tool Box
    Weather Tech Mats
    BHLM & Blacked out grill emblem
    N-Fab Step Bars
    Front & Rear Bilstein 5100's
    Differental Drop
    1" Aluminum Rear Blocks
    Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
    295/70/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers

Liked
    13 times
    Images

^^^Same here, except that I don't miss my Tacoma at all. Too spoiled on my roomy CM where I can recline my rear seats!
    2011 Crew Max, Magnetic Gray Metallic, 5.7L, SR5, 4x4

Added: Katzkin graphite/grey 2-tone leather interior, superwhite interior LEDs, drive monitor switch. BHLM, 4" black step bars, AMI locking billet fuel door, EGR window rain guards, Stampede hood/bug shield, black Husky Liner weatherbeaters, bedmat, AFE Pro Dry filter, MBRP true duals, front and rear Bilsteins 5100s, 1.5" aluminum rear lift blocks, Bushwacker fender flares, TRD RW wheels w/ plasti-dip'd fake beadlocks, BFG A/T KO 285/70/17 tires, TRD rear sway bar, TRD sport grille & black billet inserts,

Next: powdercoat front and rear bumper to color match or black, Line-X truck bed

Previous truck: 2010 Tacoma, Access Cab, 2.7L 4-cyl, 4x2, Pyrite Mica

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

My old T100 2.7 4 banger got about 18 MPG; up hill, both ways, with a 900 lb slide in camper in the back. My double cab long bed Tundra gets about 15 MPG city and highway. I'll update you all with my mileage after I finish my first trip.

Roger.

Liked
    55 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
    I won't touch a Taco until Toyota updates than 4.0L with technology developed this decade. I currently get about 14.5-15.5 in mixed driving during the winter. 15.5-16.5 in mixed during the summer. Personal best is 17.8 unloaded highway. You're mileage in a tacoma will never make up for the sacrifice in size and ability, unless your averaging 20+ and that won't happen with the current engine in a 4x4.
    I averaged 20 in my Taco. I had an 09 TRD sport crewcab with the long box. I've even hit 22mpg several times going over the pass, 230 miles.
    2012 Magnetic Grey Rock Warrior Crewmax 5.7L
    Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags
    Line X bed liner
    5% window tint on back windows
    20% window tint on front
    5% visor strip tint
    K&N drop in filter (Charcoal filter removed)
    Weather Tech all season floor mats
    20x9 Black Raceline Assault (991B) Wheels 5x150 +25 (sitting in garage)
    Truxedo LowPro Tonneau Cover
    Hopkins Impluse Break Controller
    Coming soon:
    4.5" BDS lift with Fox 2.0 shocks
    OEM Tow Mirrors
    Smitty M1 Fender Flares painted to match

Liked
    55 times

I have had my truck for a year. 2013 DC 4.6 liter RWD. Lowest MPG was 15.4, highest was 20.1. Overall, I have averaged 17.3. Calculated per tank by hand. Interestingly, I had a similar set up in a Chevy Silverado, Extended cab, 4.8 liter, RWD. Over the 6 years that I owned that, my average was 17.8 mpg.
    2013 Tundra DC 4X2 4.6l Silver Sky Metallic
    2010 Camry
    2000 Echo

Liked
    28 times
    Images

I have a 2013 CrewMax 2wd with the 4.6L V8. I average about 16 mpg with about 65% non-highway driving (moderate stop and go/heavy congestion 15-50 mph but mostly 30 mph) and 35% highway/interstate. I have managed 21 mpg on an interstate 8 hour drive. Usually I get about 18 mpg on interstate trips though. Long periods at idle will DESTROY gas mileage in this truck!!!! I know idling is always averaging 0 mpg because you aren't moving, but seriously this thing drinks gas at idle. Also, mileage is quirky. Zero to 20 mph the computer reads 4-12 mpg. 21-34 mph it reads 12-17 mpg. Cruising on level ground at 35-45 mph, the computer reads 25-40 mpg. That starts tapering off as I approach 65 mph then mileage REALLY drops at 70 mph down to about 15-17 mpg. That remains the case until I hit 80. Then something strange happens. Typically, with increased speed, wind resistance become a HUGE factor and mileage should continue to really drop. BUT between 80 and 90 mph my mileage shoots back up to around 19-21 mpg. Maybe it's in the power band at that speed??? I don't know but I have the lower geared rear end 4.33(?). I don't know if that's normal, but this has been my consistent experience with my truck.

Also, I typically only keep a truck for 3 years or less. If Toyota doesn't get more competitive with fuel mileage, I'm moving on to another brand. Great trucks, but mileage is something I have to look at. And before I get all the "Derp Derp You don't buy a truck for mileage! Derp derp", SOME people DO look at cost of ownership when truck shopping. I had a 2001 Tundra years ago with the 4.7L V8. Loved it! Road a heck of a lot better than the one I have now. But again, mileage encouraged me to shop elsewhere, and I got a new (at the time) 2006 Chevy Silverado with a 4.8L V8 in which I AVERAGED 20-22 mpg. Like I said I LOVE my Tundra, but unless they play catch-up, I'm going elsewhere... maybe Dodge or Chevy again. Or maybe a Honda Ridgeline (which I owned before my current Tundra) or a Taco.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast