Starter Location

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJ

Thread: Starter Location

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Starter Location

can someone please verify the location of the starter on an 07' 5.7L Tundra? and how troublesome is it to remove

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Starter Location

Not sure but I believe the starter is located under the intake manifold. Someone correct me if not.
    Paul
    07 Tundra, 4X4, slate metallic, 5.7 engine, TRD duals, reg. cab, standard bed (6.5 length), Steelcraft stainless step bars, Lund bug shield, Carriage Works billet grill insert, Weathertech in-channel vent visors, Scangauge II.

Liked
    343 times
    Images

For the 4.7, it is under the intake and a PITA to change due to labor to take the intake off
    to get at it.

If the 5.7 is the same, then you will find it there.
    JB

2000 Tundra Supercharged 4.7 TRD (Ivan) in Sunfire Red Pearl.

Long mod list, but, have some pics in my gallery here

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    452 times

Quote Originally Posted by jbtoy View Post
    For the 4.7, it is under the intake and a PITA to change due to labor to take the intake off
    to get at it.

If the 5.7 is the same, then you will find it there.
    I disagree completely.

It is indeed under the intake manifold, but taking the manifold off and putting it back on is easy, simple, and fast. Been there, done that.

It is a PITA because it is quite difficult to swap out the starter once you get it exposed. There is nothing unusual about the way it is mounted, but the mounting bolts are almost as accessible as Mt. Everest and the power cables which connect it are almost as long as my fingernails. What's even worse, the bolts are accessed between the back of the engine and the firewall such that I had to climb into the engine compartment, and stay there a long time, to get to them.

It was designed for easy assembly at the factory, not easy replacement in the shop, and the fool who designed it was a sadist.
    Highwaylizard likes this.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I disagree completely.

It is indeed under the intake manifold, but taking the manifold off and putting it back on is easy, simple, and fast. Been there, done that.

It is a PITA because it is quite difficult to swap out the starter once you get it exposed. There is nothing unusual about the way it is mounted, but the mounting bolts are almost as accessible as Mt. Everest and the power cables which connect it are almost as long as my fingernails. What's even worse, the bolts are accessed between the back of the engine and the firewall such that I had to climb into the engine compartment, and stay there a long time, to get to them.

It was designed for easy assembly at the factory, not easy replacement in the shop, and the fool who designed it was a sadist.
    You swapped out the starter before with the Tundra 5.7L? Is it a common problem? This is the first time I heard starter is failing on these trucks.

DJ
    Supporter
    Liked
    452 times

Quote Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
    You swapped out the starter before with the Tundra 5.7L? Is it a common problem? This is the first time I heard starter is failing on these trucks.
    No, it was on my '00 4.7L. I should have been more specific in quoting jbtoy. I was responding to:

"For the 4.7, it is under the intake and a PITA to change due to labor to take the intake off to get at it."

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

OK- now I have the answer- the starter location on the 5.7L is on the bottom of the motor on the passenger side(the 4.7L is under the intake)- Had to send mine to the dealership because nobody had a starter and even they had to order it. Mine is/was bad and has been changed. I have 103,000 miles on my 07'. The dealer price was $475.00 for the starter and you have to pull the exhaust to get it. I tried to do it myself, but there just isn't any room and I couldn't even get the 1st heatshield out without tearing it up. I got off easy because they misquoted labor price to me and stuck with the quote($198.00), but normal is $500-700 and you have to buy 2 exhaust gaskets as well($34 +$46). Not to mention I changed out the battery($110) and the starter relay($85) as well. This has been an over 1K adventure I do NOT want to go through again. This is the ONLY problem I have had with this truck- so I really can't complain. They did say thay haven't ordered a starter in over a year and this is not common, but I don't know

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

@Ramdomwalk101- I'm located South of Houston. Ron Carter in Alvin is where I bought mine and thats who did the repair

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

Glad You got it taken care of and that it's not a common issue. Happy new year