Valet key?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mendonsy
  • 2 Post By 11Tundra
  • 1 Post By WT

Thread: Valet key?

Rookie
    Liked
    1 times

Default Valet key?

I purchased a 2011 CM RW in October and have been considering a remote starter that requires a key in the module (I'm guessing that they all do). The installer, who doesn't work for the dealership but does a lot of jobs for them, told me that I should have received two regular keys and one valet key with my truck. I only received two keys and one metal tag with an ID number so I asked my sales person about the third key and he said that Toyota quit giving three keys. I'm not sure if he's just blowing smoke or if Toyota has changed their process--has anyone else who bought a 2011 or newer received three keys?

I'm tempted to just use my second key in the remote starter because I don't tend to lose keys and will still have the key fob to get into the truck and, if necessary, remove the key from the module if I do lose my main key.

I appreciate any input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: Valet key?

I believe that I received the same as you (no valet) with my 2007 when I purchased it brand new 5 years ago.
    Me: Pyrite Mica 2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x2, SR5, 5.7, Sensors, Back Up Camera, Line-X, Fully Tinted
    Wife: White 2006 Highlander Hybrid

Liked
    296 times
    Images

My '07 came with a valet key. I believe the valet key was one of the many standard features that were deleted at the end of 2010.
    DanielAcosta likes this.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    334 times
    Images

If you're going to leave the key in the module, you can then just get a steel key cut to keep as a spare. No need to worry about the chipped one any more.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    8 times

Better yet, have your installer use a "learning" bypass module that doesn't need a key installed. Otherwise you're just removing the advantage of the factory immobilizer. Key in box type bypass modules are the previous generation of parts.
    Tim
    '07 DC 5.7L

PM me for Techstream help in OR/WA

Liked
    107 times

Quote Originally Posted by NavyMB View Post
    I purchased a 2011 CM RW in October and have been considering a remote starter that requires a key in the module (I'm guessing that they all do). The installer, who doesn't work for the dealership but does a lot of jobs for them, told me that I should have received two regular keys and one valet key with my truck. I only received two keys and one metal tag with an ID number so I asked my sales person about the third key and he said that Toyota quit giving three keys. I'm not sure if he's just blowing smoke or if Toyota has changed their process--has anyone else who bought a 2011 or newer received three keys?

I'm tempted to just use my second key in the remote starter because I don't tend to lose keys and will still have the key fob to get into the truck and, if necessary, remove the key from the module if I do lose my main key.

I appreciate any input.
    I just purchased a new 2011 DC. A valet key didn't come with my truck either. It appears Toyota quit giving out the valet keys in 2010 or 2011.

If you need a 3rd key there are usually some OEM Toyota transponder keys for sale on eBay. Got to be careful and buy the right OEM Toyota key with the right part number (has to have the letter "G" stamped on the uncut metal portion). I just purchased one on eBay ($25), had it cut and programmed (about $50) and it worked fine. If you only need to unlock the door, you can just have a simple blank cut (without programming).

As a sidenote, I don't feel comfortable having only 2 keys. I usually have one set for everyday use, one well hidden on the vehicle (if locked out or lose keys), and one kept at home in a safe place. If your Tundra has an immobilizer (most do) and you lose your keys, you cannot have a copy made without one of the original "master" keys and the truck available. I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding that you cannot get a key "programmed" with only the 5-6 digit key code given to you when you purchase your vehicle. This code is only good for cutting the key and cannot be used to program the key which is necessary to start the engine. If for some reason you lose all your keys (or your spare is 1500 miles away at home), you must have your immobilizer reprogrammed and new keys cut/programmed. I've heard quotes as high as $1000++ to do this!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Toyota Tundra Transponder Key Info.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	82711  
    Last edited by 11Tundra; 01-31-2012 at 10:10 AM.
    DanielAcosta and AnchoRager like this.

WT
    Liked
    71 times
    Images

To, OP yes that method of putting the old chip key is old school, tell the installer you rather not do that and get them to use some of the new learning bypass module no loss of a key.
    As for getting keys cheaper I suggest getting the beat deal on a chipped blank key on eBay or other choice usually around 5-20 bucks. Go you local home depot or Lowes tell them to cut the key, mine offered to do it free but didn't give me any guarantees. It all worked fine. Have dealer program immobilizer chip into the truck via the techstream computer. I didn't have to pay for this since I have my own Techstream setup . Dealer usually charges maybe 25-50 bucks to do this real quick, less than 5 minutes of work.
    So for around 75.00 you have a working key. Oh on a side note you can also get a spare remote to have programed at the same time if you want and get that done free at the same time since they have the laptop hooked up already. Make sure you get one with a matching FCC ID on the back of the remote.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

My 2011 DC didn't come with a valet key (sounds like they really cheapened out is 2011 on some features), anyway I ordered one (Grey) and had it programmed. It won't open the tail gate or the glove box (I wish the center console was the locking area, that's where most of the good stuff is stored due to it's size!). I travel allot so there is a spare key hidden on the vehicle, but since I have a hard tonneau cover it's nice to keep stuff out of sight when I do have to use a valet.

Liked
    16 times

I had an installer tell me that he does not recommend using the key anymore and to make certain you use a brand that works well with Toyota. He claimed that some brands such as compustar 'throw' the key and you cannot start the truck until all is restarted/re-booted. He recommended the learning type such as a viper as it seemed to not throw the key in Tundras. All this was from a sales person so take it with a grain of salt. My opinion is to make sure you use current technology and a device that has a history in a Tundra!
    007 Crewmax TRD, 305 65R18 BFG All Terrain T/A's, Undercover tonneau upgraded to Leer 100 XL cap, line-x bed, Toyota steps, Pioneer AVICZ110/120 BT bypassed with Rostra backup camera with 2 sets of Focal 165V30's, Tekonsha Prodigy, Powerslot Rotors & Hawk Lt pads, K&N 77 Series CAI, Hypertech Speedo Calibrator, OME Shocks & Springs, Low Range Offroad diff drop & blocks, TRD rear sway bar, Firestone airbags and compressor, 2012 TRD Rock Warrior Shift Knob, G-Tek Door Sill Protectors.