What does the TOW/HAUL button really do?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KingLou

Thread: What does the TOW/HAUL button really do?

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Default What does the TOW/HAUL button really do?

Just finished reading the owner's manual for my new '12 CrewMax TRD Offroad... no mention of what the TOW/HAUL button does, just to push it when towing. Anyone know technically what it does (other than make the light in the dash come on)?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    1 times

Default Re: What does the TOW/HAUL button really do?

My understanding of it is that it just changes the shifting characteristics of the transmission to more effective for towing. I think it holds gears till higher RPMs, and downshifts a bit more aggressively for some "engine braking" effect. I could be wrong, and welcome any more knowledgeable comments.
    mendonsy likes this.

GWD
    Liked
    40 times
    Images

Try searching this forum. Lots of information and opinions.

Plus, drive it around with the "tow" on and experience the difference in upshifting, downshifting, shift points, an transmission braking. Probably more.
    2010 Tundra DC, 5.7, 4WD, SR5, 40/20/40 Bench Seat, Pyrite Mica,
    Options: Model 8341, EC, EV, CK, LF, RL, SP, ST, TM, WX, 32, HR, CT, CJ
    GO Industries Rugged Step, LineX bed, Line-X Xtra on steps, ARE shell, Firestone RideRite, Prodigy brake controller, TRD chrome wheels

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

As others have stated, it just changes the shifting points so you're typically on a lower gear revving higher. You'll get crappier gas mileage and it will be harder on the engine and transmission.

Rookie
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by GWD View Post
    Try searching this forum. Lots of information and opinions.
    My aplogies guys, I tried searching and didn't find much but then tried again this morning and found what I was looking for. Check this thread, it contains the technical explanation I was looking for. Sorry for the FNG mistake!

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

When is the tow/haul button required to be turn on? How much do you have to tow for it to be effective? Do i need to turn on this button if I am only towing 1000 lbs (towing my jet ski).

Liked
    21 times

not trying to jack this thread but, a few days ago I hit the tow/haul button while I was going around 55 or so and the truck jerked like if it had a bad transmission...you guys think I screwed something up??

GWD
    Liked
    40 times
    Images

No problem. Not any more serious that stomping on it and downshifting.
    2010 Tundra DC, 5.7, 4WD, SR5, 40/20/40 Bench Seat, Pyrite Mica,
    Options: Model 8341, EC, EV, CK, LF, RL, SP, ST, TM, WX, 32, HR, CT, CJ
    GO Industries Rugged Step, LineX bed, Line-X Xtra on steps, ARE shell, Firestone RideRite, Prodigy brake controller, TRD chrome wheels

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by krouchchocolate View Post
    When is the tow/haul button required to be turn on? How much do you have to tow for it to be effective? Do i need to turn on this button if I am only towing 1000 lbs (towing my jet ski).
    Not really needed but it will help you stay in gear longer. A proper tow haul button would lock out overdrive, but ours doesn't do that, only extends the rpm's between shifts. No one should be towing much more than a small trailer in 6th and the real towing gear is 4th as both 5 and 6th gears are overdrives in the Tundra.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    0 times

So is there a minimum weight that is being hauled or towed before you need to push it? I mean a 2000lb trailer? Not sure, I know when I load up the bed with wood, I use it. Just Curious.
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction." Ronald Reagan

2011 Black D/C 5.7 Tundra Grade, Tow Pkg, Cold Pkg
    EGR In-Channel Rain Guards Lund 5" Oval Nerf Bars

Liked
    118 times

Every time you push it, god kills a kitten.

Liked
    143 times

Quote Originally Posted by TrailCruiser View Post
    Just finished reading the owner's manual for my new '12 CrewMax TRD Offroad... no mention of what the TOW/HAUL button does, just to push it when towing. Anyone know technically what it does (other than make the light in the dash come on)?
    Here you go:
    Holy Crap the TOW Button!

Steve
    Last edited by StevJ; 03-06-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    110 times

Quote Originally Posted by bongarone View Post
    As others have stated, it just changes the shifting points so you're typically on a lower gear revving higher. You'll get crappier gas mileage and it will be harder on the engine and transmission.
    Harder on the engine and transmission? I disagree. With the tow/haul switch off, the ECU puts a priority on fuel efficiency and typically has the tranny shifting as soon as possible to the next higher gear thereby loading the engine at the lowest possible rpm. When under load or towing, the tow/haul switch does the exact opposite. It puts a priority on keeping the engine revs higher (especially between shifts) and reduces excessive engine loading at low rpm's. This, in-turn, lowers the need for transmission upshifts & downshifts, reducing wear & tear on the tranny--especially the clutches.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

If you want to impress your wife/girlfriend, neighbors, etc., just turn off the VSC, turn on the Tow/Haul. and put the pedal to the floor....instantaneous thrill for everybody!

I tow my 2000 boat with it Off, turn it on for my 5500lbs travel trailer. Keep in mind that it is disabled in "S" mode.
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Liked
    14 times

In my opinion it does not do much. I am towing a fair amount of weight though so the Truck holds all shifts a long time.
    I have it on towing 3400lbs of empty trailer and 7k loaded but with the drag of a 7' high trailer too.
    I have only towed the 2011 I have some 1200 miles.
    I found "S" mode to be the way to go much of the time to control it more but am still pllaying with it.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.