Steering wheel shake! help!!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DWarner6371

Thread: Steering wheel shake! help!!

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Default Steering wheel shake! help!!

Im new to the tundra solution and i have a question. When i hit around 55-80 mph my steering wheel starts to shake pretty bad, and i did get the wheels balanced and got alighnment. And its a 2010 toyota tundra 4.6L 4X4
    Has anyone had this before on a 4X4?
    How do i get rid of it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by trdtundrasport; 03-04-2012 at 05:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    9 times
    Images

Default Re: Steering wheel shake! help!!

Mine did this a little after I put on a lift kit recently. I got it re Aligned and made sure the camber was 0 degrees and then balanced and rotated well and it fixed it up fine. where did you get yours balanced at. I found out that a company i had been using for years actually were using wheel balancing machines that were broken and were making the tires worse. Make sure you get it done somewhere credible.

08 tundra radiant red 5.7 double cab
    Ballistic Wizards 20x9
    Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/60/R20 ( 34.5x11.8x20)
    Low Range Off Raod 3/1 Leveling Kit
    Leather ,Heated seats, Cd/DVD navigation
    Blue tooth
    Truxedo bed cover
    Black headlight mod
    Chrome DeeZee running boards
    K & N air Filter
    Blacked Out Badges
    Sun Roof
    Front Windows Tint Match
    In Channel Vent Visors

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Rotate the tire to the rear of your truck and see if the shake changes. Could be a bad tire or bent rim but the place that balanced your tires should have seen that.
    tundra4ever26 likes this.

Liked
    40 times

Your problem sounds like a balancing issue, not an alignment issue. I'd have the dealership do a high speed balance/"road force" balance to see if that addresses it. If not then you've got to start looking at the wheels/tires to see if they are out of round which is causing the imbalance.
    2008 Sequoia Platinum (8 passenger) 4x4 5.7 V8; Debadged/30% tint over factory with 20% front/LED rear foglights/White Knight RLS/V-LEDs LPF/Silverstar Ultra/Lexus LS460 bi-xenon HID projectors with 5000k Osram CBI/Philips DRL8/Lockpic navigation override/Locking gas cap/TRD intake flow accelerator/K&N panel filter/K&N filter minder/5000k LED license plate bulbs/Big Daddy horns/SET exhaust tip/Factory color matched (B&I SEQUOIA emblem insert, brake calipers, side-view mirrors, b-pillars, c-pillars)/summer 22 Giovanna Caracas w/Yokohama Parada 305/45/22/winter 18" OEM steel wheels powder-coated black w/Bridgestone Dueler A/T "Revo 2" 255/70/18

Liked
    326 times
    Images

Do you have alloy wheels???
    If someone installed them with an impact wrench that might cause your problem. They must be torqued to 97 ft/lb with a torque wrench when they are installed.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    3 times

"...............
    Last edited by Djackman777; 03-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Liked
    3 times

Its all about the balancing. Got it balanced 3 times within a year and they finally goy it right. Try to have the tech install the weight both inner and outter side of the wheels, it worked for my hard-to-ballance 22s

Liked
    8 times

I recently bought a used 2010 and it had that issue until I got around to rotating, balancing and alignment of the wheels.
    As many have mentioned, it's most likely a balancing issue and at times it is your shock absorbers.
    To rule out the shocks, push with your weight down on the front bumper and let off.
    If your truck comes right up to where it was in one shot, then they are good.
    If your truck kinda bounces several times until it stops or has a bouncy ride then your shocks are bad.

Good Luck
    Max

Veteran Member
    Liked
    0 times

Mine shakes at 70 mph. Bought new tires, wheels and it still does it. But get this, not all the freaking time. Just most of the time. There are times that it drives smooth as a baby's butt. Between the front end shake, front tires wearing, and the crappy brakes that warp, this truck is junk and no longer fun to drive.

You can try retorquing the wheels to factory specs. Mags are approx 98 ft/lbs and make sure the surface and wheel itself is clean.

I have never had so much trouble from a truck in my life. I have owned Chevy most of my life.
    2007 White DCSB, Drop in K&N filter, Flomaster 70 series replacement muffler. (no cat back)

Veteran Member
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

Attachment 84234this and balance.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 2008 Tundra had a bad steering wheel shake at about 65+ mph. I bought it brand new with a 3/1 lift and 275/70/18 tires. I tried two sets of wheels and tires, road force balancing, alignments, balancing beads, load-match balancing, new shocks, etc. I took it to my dealership at least 15 times in 2 and 1/2 years and to Discount Tire almost as much. No one could ever figure it out. I ended up trading it for a 2011 GMC Z71 Duramax. I still have no idea what was wrong with it. if you figure it out, please post the remedy because I am still curious what was causing my steering wheel shake.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

My 07 shook at 55-65 randomly for several years since I bought it new, some days it was fine, others it shook, numerous attempts at balancing were fruitless. I finally pitched the stock junk tires and put on some good Michelin's and its been smooth as silk since then.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Warped Rotors! Either have them turned or replace with new.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

3 sets of tires 2 diff sets of wheels still shaking, but not all the time, fixing to sell or trade it.
    2010 trd dc 4x4 back to stock rims with michelin ltx at 2 new tires (3 diff sets) no one can get the
    shakes out, besides windshield creaks and pops, air induction pump screams when its cold out.
    may be going back to titan 100,00 miles trouble free with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.