oil gauge ??

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: oil gauge ??

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Question oil gauge ??

hey guys,

this morning and i think for the first time the oil gauge(the one of the bottom right) catches my eyes, and im worried a bit.

so the quick question:

is it normal the oil pressure increase like two bars (white slashes) when you accelerate? I got 11k on a 2011 CM and have changed the oil twice first time @ 4k second time @ 8k and btw I got FF but i dont use the e85

thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Default Re: oil gauge ??

after some google search i guess it normal, i think i just noticed that but is it ok to reach 75%?

Veteran Member
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

if you think its oil related, change the oil anyway. oil, and coolant is the blood of your car. you take care of it.

Liked
    3 times

It's normal...as you acclerate at higher rpms your oil pump is turning faster and there for producing higher oil pressure. The oil pressure gauge on the tundra seems to be slow to respond but fairly accurate. If you'll notice you'll run higher pressure when the engine is cold b/c of the thick oil. Just be sure to not acclerate heavily with the engine cold b/c the engine will not oil properly. I try to stay below 2K rpm until engine is warm.
    Last edited by Fordless; 04-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.
    tundra3400 likes this.

2007 Tundra DC Limited 5.7L 4x4 Slate Metallic - Graphite Leather
    2007 Camry XLE V6

Liked
    24 times
    Images

hmm just tried a Lexus 570 the gauge shows 25% when car is not moving, on high acceleration it would reach 50% - 60%. on the other hand, the tundra show 40% - 50% at stop, on acceleration it could reach to 75% - 80%. is it normal guys?

Liked
    569 times
    Images

what kind of oil are you running (synthetic or conventional) and what is the weight (i.e. 5w 30)?
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 207,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Sneveys Offroad)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:
    AUX Reverse LEDs, Lock-Rite (maybe)

Liked
    8 times
    Images

Yes its normal, you will always have a increase in oil pressure with an increase in rpms.
    04 TRD AC 4X4,JBA headers,True Flow intake w/K&N drop-in, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler, NGK TR6ix plugs, new Denso 234-4209 o2 sensors,Mobil 1 Syn 0W-40 (Gone)

2010 Slate DC LB 4X4 W/T, Injen CAI, Unichip, Pulstar Iridium, Amsoil Signature 0w-30, Nfab wheel to wheel 6 step, Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler #3247, Jegs H-Pipe, Bilstein HD shocks, Truck Covers USA Cover, Nitro 4.88 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, SuperSprings SSA4.

AIP Solution: Disconnect both air pumps. You will get a CEL ( Codes P0418,P0419)but no limp mode and no affect on performance. AIP system will be shut down preventing valves from opening. There are two pump connectors, one behind the coolant reservoir on the front of the engine and one below the air box along the wheel well. Both are large gray connectors. Disconnect them, tape them up, zip tie them to keep them from getting into anything hot or moving and your done. If you need service done, reconnect them before you take the truck to the dealer. Enjoy.

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tundra3400 View Post
    what kind of oil are you running (synthetic or conventional) and what is the weight (i.e. 5w 30)?
    synthetic, the guy at the shop told me i should change the oil every 6k, i changed it twice after 4 or 5k, i think ill change the oil this week.

anyway i got a small clip because im a bit worried, i never noticed the oil gauge moving before

tundra oil gauge behavior?? (temp) - YouTube

i really appreciate you help guys

Liked
    569 times
    Images

did you just start using the synthetic or have you had it in the truck before?
    2000 Tundra Platinum Metallic 3.4L V6 SR5 AC 4WD, 207,000 miles and counting, Husky Liners, 5K 35 Watt HID Heads & 5K 60 Watt LED Fogs w/ Fog Mod from IZL, LED Cargo Light, Pioneer 3300UB, redruM69's Quarter Window Arm Mod, Kicker 8" with Custom Box, New Frame via The Rust Recall, 5100s on 3rd Notch, CV Boot Clamp Mod, Hellwig EZ550 Helper Springs, My 1st Gen Anytime Power Window Mod, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan Conversion (thanks texasranger96), 180 Amp DC Power Alternator, Map Light Mod & LEDs, 285/75r16 Terra Grapplers, Curt Tow Hitch, Keyless Entry, ES Rack Bushings, 30" SR Offroad LED Bar (Sneveys Offroad)
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:

Liked
    24 times
    Images

I only used synthetic ( the 1 that last longer) .
    i only changed it twice as i mentioned in the first post, 11k on the truck now.

is this normal?

Liked
    569 times
    Images

i was told for my truck that its normal for the gauge to move like that with synthetic oils. mine usually hovers lower than the second line kinda close to the bottom when warm and idling. when i take off it moves quickly upward to the 3rd line closer to the top line. the only thing is that my truck is v6 3.4L and yours is the v8 5.7L so the gauge might stay a little higher because of the larger motor. i think its normal.
    CBTMA Member

Sometime in the Future:

Liked
    24 times
    Images

thanks for your help
    tundra3400 likes this.

Liked
    3 times

Watched your video...absolutly normal...stop worrying and drive the dang thing.
    tundra3400 likes this.

2007 Tundra DC Limited 5.7L 4x4 Slate Metallic - Graphite Leather
    2007 Camry XLE V6

Liked
    24 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fordless View Post
    Watched your video...absolutly normal...stop worrying and drive the dang thing.
    thx mate

Veteran Member
    Liked
    20 times

Mine has worked like a mini-Tach since new..........
    '07 Tundra SR5, 2WD DC, 5.7L, Salsa Red Pearl with Running Boards, Delta Toolbox.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast