2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

FSS
    Liked
    12 times

Default Re: 2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

Out of the owners manual:

■Automatic cruise control cancellation
    The set speed is automatically cancelled in any of the following situations.
    ●Actual vehicle speed falls more than 10 mph (16 km/h) below the preset
    vehicle speed.
    At this time, the memorized set speed is not retained.
    ●Actual vehicle speed is below 25 mph (40 km/h).
    ●VSC is activated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm happy to hear others have experienced this. Here's my experience; on the way home from the cabin I like to occasionally take the scenic route. On this scenic route is a long steady hill. Twice now in my '12 Tundra the cruise has kicked off for me on this same exact hill when I'm towing my boat and have Tow/Haul mode ON. The first time it happened I had just a couple hundred miles on the truck and it really startled me. The second time was yesterday and as I was going up the same hill again, thinking about the last time it happened, when it kicked off for the 2nd time in 8,000 miles. I don't get it. I took this same route many times with my '10 Tundra and this NEVER happened. I've pulled this boat on many other trips/locations/routes and it's never happened under any other circumstances. I'll be eager to try this scenario again on my next trip to the cabin. Maybe I'll try it with Tow/Haul off and see if it happens. It's strange, just when the truck wants to shift down and you expect it to grab a gear and come alive, the RPM's drop and it just goes limp. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Hi,
    i have a 2011 dc i dont see a switch to turn off the cc

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by sbeaulie View Post
    Hi,
    i have a 2011 dc i dont see a switch to turn off the cc
    Same button that turns it on.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse3g View Post
    Same button that turns it on.
    funny very funny

Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by sbeaulie View Post
    funny very funny
    or you can tap the brake pedal.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by eclipse3g View Post
    or you can tap the brake pedal.
    Wow I'm a moron i read Cruise control but was thinking overdrive!

Liked
    8 times

"Actual vehicle speed falls more than 10 mph (16 km/h) below the preset
    vehicle speed"
    I find it more sensitive than this. You'd think the CC would keep it from dropping this far.
    Anywhoo, I have learned to live with it. Now I am starting to agree with the thought that it is better for throttle control to not have the CC on in these circumstances. But I do get lazy sometimes and it would be nice to have the option.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Everybody needs to complain to Toyota about this. My 2007 did not do this. My 2012 does. I does happen when the transmission downshifts to 3rd gear and right at that time the cruise doesnt shut off but cant pull the throttle open any more to maintain the speed so down goes the speed until it reaches the shut off point. I did talk to the area service rep about this and was told I shouldnt use the cruise while towing. B.S. I think they are nervous about the sticking throttle thing and dont want to give anybody the impression that it might be. If I want to tow while running 100 mph it better work. I thought I bought this truck cuz it was the baddest truck in all the land but now they add more nannies to keep me safe. Nannies SUCK.
    Last edited by hooken203; 11-23-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Liked
    118 times

No truck manufacturer would advise towing at 100mph.
    If they didn't have nannies to prevent it (given your truck can actually do this), then people WOULD do it and turn around and sue the truck manufacturer for something that was caused by their own stupidity.
    And why would anyone want to use cc while towing, in a hilly terrain?
    These are things that define a truck's "badassness"?
    Turn off the cc, turn off the nannies and learn throttle control. The truck is only as badass as the operators ability to make use of it.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

Boy am I sorry that I said anything about the speed in this post but ya I know it will do it. Would it be OK with you if I went the speed limit while I am towing? Now I am going up a hill not far from where I live 55 mph my truck will down shift to third and shut the cruise off. If I cant use the cruise control while towing up and down hills whats the point of having it? Come on now. You really dont need climate control you can roll the windows down.What do you have an automatic transmission for you can shift it yourself. Powersteering come on man up and turn the wheel with you own power.
    RUSTYDAWG, canddmeyer and TOW BAJA like this.

Liked
    13 times
    Images

I have an 08 5.7 DC and do tow heavy. On hilly roads and in the mountains while towing I do not use the CC but on mostly flat out roads I do. My 08 does not shut down the cruise if it does a downshift to 3rd gear. When towing I usually drive in S5 with tow haul on and 60 mph max. All this was prior to the super charger. Since the install of the SC the truck has not tried to shift itself to 3rd with or without the cc on and I still drive 60 max while towing.
    2008 DC 5.7 LTD "Big Red", Leather w heated seats. LineX bed liner, Extend a bed, ARE hard bed cover, DIY underseat rear storage, (Nav mod, all nav functions all the time), Always on backup camera switch, Firestone Ride Rite air bags, Sway bar, Supercharged, Auburn LSD with stock 4.30 gears.

Liked
    8 times

My observation with my 2012 is that the truck will make no attempt at downshifting. Even detecting a gradual increase in throttle is difficult. Its instant shut down. No problem not towing up the same grade. But pull a few thousand pounds and it shuts down. Its very sensitive.

Liked
    8 times

This is Toyota's official response to the issue;

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., and thank you for recently purchasing a 2012 Tundra!

We appreciate the opportunity to address your email.

Our research shows that by design, the cruise control system will not engage when towing. This is due for safety reasons.

Please understand that different auto manufacturer's have different positions on how this feature or system will be engaged under certain driving conditions. When the vehicle is towing something, it is no longer cruising because it is working harder to tow a trailer. Toyota does not endorse the use of cruise control during towing. One of the safety concerns is braking. Since the cruise control system on your vehicle is not linked to the braking system. it could be dangerous if the driver is not able to respond to braking soon enough when the driver's foot is not close to the pedal.

Liked
    33 times

Quote Originally Posted by RUSTYDAWG View Post
    This is Toyota's official response to the issue;

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., and thank you for recently purchasing a 2012 Tundra!

We appreciate the opportunity to address your email.

Our research shows that by design, the cruise control system will not engage when towing. This is due for safety reasons.

Please understand that different auto manufacturer's have different positions on how this feature or system will be engaged under certain driving conditions. When the vehicle is towing something, it is no longer cruising because it is working harder to tow a trailer. Toyota does not endorse the use of cruise control during towing. One of the safety concerns is braking. Since the cruise control system on your vehicle is not linked to the braking system. it could be dangerous if the driver is not able to respond to braking soon enough when the driver's foot is not close to the pedal.
    Wow. What a croc of unowhat. Why doesn't it just say to buy a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge if you want to use the CC while towing, like many have done for a long time? I'm not surprised at Toyota's stupid response.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast