2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

Liked
    8 times

Default 2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

I have noticed that while towing the cruise control will shut down while climbing on rolling hills. Few percent grades or so. And certainly will not activate while climbing a grade of say 5%+. I haven't tried with tow haul mode deactivated.

Is this normal? As in a safety thing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    142 times

Default Re: 2012 Tundra, Tow/Haul Mode, Cruise control

Shuts down? So the CRUISE light on the dash goes out? That's odd.

Steve
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies “We can't multiply, we're adders” — so Noah builds them a log table.

ˇpןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    8 times

The cruise control light stays on, but the cruise control deactivates. Its more like a gradual roll back.

Liked
    118 times

I've done the opposite:
    Never used CC in tow/haul mode.
    I've used CC while driving through mountains and it doesn't kick off.
    It will downshift like crazy to maintain speed up/down the grade, but stays on.
    Going downhill, I actually had to turn it off and ride the brake.

Liked
    8 times

Most cruise controls will shut down if the speed drops by a certain amount, not sure what Toyota's setting is by my older Chevy PU this would happen to going up long grades when heavily loaded.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

My 2012 tundra does the same thing. When towing my trailer up a big hill and it downshifts to 3rd gear the cruise is deactivated. Light stays on but cruise goes off.

Liked
    8 times

@rockwarrior
    Have you spoken with anyone at Toyota about it? I am wondering if its an adjustable threshold.
    It really sucks because mine will shut down on as little as a 2-3% grade. I am pulling ~7000Klbs.

Liked
    118 times

When you guys are saying that it deactivates, you're talking about while in tow/haul mode, correct?

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I'm also towing around 7,000#. Like I said mine only does it when it has to kick all the way to 3rd gear. Downshifts to 4th and works fine. Yes I have Tow/Haul Mode on. I called 2 different dealers today just kind of asking around and one place said it was normal and the other dealer where I actually bought the truck called me back but I missed the call.

Liked
    118 times

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving false info.
    Like I said, mine stayed on and was downshifting till it sounded like it was at redline (it wasn't, just sounded like it).
    I actually had to turn the CC off.
    But, I wasn't towing anything and wasn't in tow/haul mode.

Liked
    6 times

Personally I do not like the idea of CC while towing. I want to feel my load so to speak...I adjust my speed according to my terrain--faster if going downhill, slower if going up. This helps MPG a little and makes it so my truck is not fighting to stay at a set speed. If someone is behind me or if I'm towing with other friends towing their rigs I adjust my driving a little but I still do not use CC.
    2011 Black Tundra Rock Warrior Crewmax 5.7//Dealer Installed Leather//Wheelskin wrapped stearing wheel//Toyota hard Tonnea//TRD Anti-sway bar//Firestone Air Bags//Weathertech floor liners//MPG button mod//Viper 5601 w/auto start//Pioneer Avic-z130BT//JL Audio HD 900/5//HAT Clarus fronts (bridged)//CoAx's in rear off deck//Alpine SWR-T12 with custom box/amp rack//OnFair Headrest DVD's//Front window tint

2012 Evergreen Everlite 32RBK-DS Travel Trailer

Liked
    109 times

If one watches the upper-dash INST MPG display, it's certainly obvious why it's better to not use cruise control when climbing or going into headwinds while towing. Under these conditions, the cruise control compensates immediately and radically, with no regard to load (or fuel consumption). Under normal, low-load conditions, the engine is capable of quickly dealing with speed changes, so this M.O. works great. Under heavy-load, towing conditions, however, the engine is not capable of responding quickly enough and the cruise control could care less. It forces the engine to try to regain speed immediately, at all costs--to include application of full throttle and radical downshifts by the transmission. Pretty much a lose-lose situation resulting in increased fuel consumption and increased wear & tear to the engine and transmission.

Liked
    12 times

I agree not using CC is the better way to run rolling hills. On the flat, sure, I've done that on a long haul.
    '11 Tundra Doublecab, 4x4, SR5, TRD, Tow, Moroso Air/Oil Separator, LineX bedliner, Venture clear bra
    Coated in P21S wax, the best there is....

'12 ZO6

'13 Harley Street Glide

'11 24' Featherlite enclosed car hauler

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Long story short is the cruise shouldn't kick off.

Liked
    20 times

If you have it...have you tried using the manual shift down to third and see if you can engage cruise.. I haven't tried CC while towing yet.. I have a 2010 Crewmax 4x4 5.7L.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast