What psi do you run in your tires? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What psi do you run in your tires?

Just a Herbicidal maniac. Herbicidal's Avatar
    Liked
    90 times
    Images

Default Re: What psi do you run in your tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    With the tread wear pattern, I'm curious why I had shoulder wear that didn't match the tire's center.
    Out of alignment.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
    *** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Just a Herbicidal maniac. Herbicidal's Avatar
    Liked
    90 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thechristianbear2001 View Post
    I have hankook dynapro atms 285-65-18 ..... running 38psi in all right now but have no idea what is best to run them. I dont haul anything usually so any suggestions on what is optimal for my setup?
    Everyone's setup, truck weight, etc is different. One trick is buy some children’s sidewalk chalk, those big ol' giant pieces, then with your truck on a flat, smooth surface, liberally coat the tread with the chalk (lay the chalk on it's side) covering it completely from side to side and from 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock position (or as much as you can reach). Then slowly drive your truck straight ahead for about 50'. Stop, put it in park and look to see where the chalk is left behind on the tire and adjust your tire pressure so that you remove approximately 90% of the chalk from side to side. Basically 5% on each outside edge should still have chalk left. You can also do this if the pavement is wet and you can slowly drive to a dry section. Not quite as effective as the water left on the tire as the indicator starts to dry pretty fast.

I did the chalk method and that's why even with a load range "E" tires with stiff sidewalls I'm in the 30-32 psi range for every day use. However, I don't hesitate to bust out the air compressor if I know I will be towing or carrying a heavier load. Everything is a compromise - ride quality vs. fuel economy vs. tire wear. For me and my CrewMax with Toyo M/T's load range "E", 30-32 psi has proven to be the right pressure for the majority of my use. Your mileage may vary.
    mendonsy, RRzxter and 11Tundra like this.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
    *** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I usually have it at 40psi cold, and it heats up 2-3psi.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by ggms16 View Post
    I use 30psi up front and 32 in the rear... I think that's what toyota recommends.

How come some of you guys put over 40psi? Isn't that bad for the mpg?
    MPG would go up with higher tire pressure but irregular tire wear occurs in the center.

The choice is new tires or better gas mileage.

Liked
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I recently intalled Michelin LTX AT2 E-rate 10-ply tires on the factory 20" wheels. I had passenger rated P-Metric equivalents on previously. With ~60K miles, I had excessive shoulder wear and good tread left in the center of the tire. I rotated and balanced frequently. With 32 PSI, I had excessive sidewall flex so I generally ran these tires at 38PSI. With the tread wear pattern, I'm curious why I had shoulder wear that didn't match the tire's center. Give the high PSI, I expected the tire to be more donut shaped and wear in the center more then the shoulder

I'm curious what I should ran these new E-rated tires at. I think I will try 40PSI.

On a related note, these tires really kill the ride quality. With the P-Metrics, my Tundra had almost a car like ride on most road surfaces. The jury is still out on the E-rate equivalents but, they are a much rougher ride though things are smoothing out with a little bit of break in.
    I just put a set of Michelin LTX M/S2 LRE tires on my Tundra. Sent an email to Michelin on tire pressure for these and was told 50PSI front 55PSI rear would be equivalent to the P rated at 30 and 33. Running both front and back at 55 right now. Don't notice too much difference in the ride from the P rated tires. A bit stiffer but not a lot.

Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by ggms16 View Post
    I use 30psi up front and 32 in the rear... I think that's what toyota recommends.

How come some of you guys put over 40psi? Isn't that bad for the mpg?
    no, the harder the tire, the lower the rolling resistance is, and therefore better mileage

Liked
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    Out of alignment.
    Under-inflated
    1995 T-100 250,000 miles and still going strong!

2012 Tundra CrewMax 4.6w/Tow.Pkg.

Liked
    296 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orthotist View Post
    MPG would go up with higher tire pressure but irregular tire wear occurs in the center.

The choice is new tires or better gas mileage.
    If you run the factory recommended pressures you will discover that the outside edge wears more than the center of the tread. About 40 PSI seems to balance out the wear on P metrics and about 45 for load range C tires.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    117 times

I agree. The factory recommendations aren't for any and all tires you will ever put on your truck.
    Different tires have different optimal PSI.
    Start with what is says on the tire itself and adjust from there.

Liked
    2 times

36 psi in my stock 2012 CM 4X4 tires.

Liked
    6 times
    Images

Another way to check the air pressure distribution on a tire is to check it after a long drive ( as the tires are as hot as they will be.

Use an Infra Red thermometer and check the tire temperature on the outside part of the tread, then in the middle, then on the inside.

Those three spots should be at the same temp. If the outside is hotter you have too much toe-in .

If the inside is hotter, you have toe-out.

If the temp is even all over the tire, your alignment and tire pressure are correct.

If the middle part of the tire is lower than the outside parts, increase the air pressure.

If the middle part is higher, deflate a bit.

This is easy to do and an easy guide for alignment and best air pressure.( for even tire wear ).
    Enjoying the awesome 5.7 L engine

TRD rear Sway Bar, Billet Grille, Heated Seats, Westin Bull Bar and Skid Plate, HELLA driving Lights, Chrome handles and mirrors,

Liked
    207 times
    Images

I just got new tires (cooper st maxx) 33" and running 40psi. I could see going up to 45 unloaded. I may try that
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Supporter
    Liked
    23 times

I'm running 38PSI now on my Michelin LTX M/S2's (P285/70/17). Noticed slightly more wear on outside edges at 35psi, so I went up to 38. Couldn't be happier, still a damn good tire.

Liked
    207 times
    Images

I just up mine to 45 psi all the way around, seems to be better on the MPG. ride is fine as well so this seems to be the sweet spot for this set-up.
    2013 Ram Crew Sport 4x4, 5.7, 8-speed, 3.92
    2010 Tundra 4x4 5.7 Limited, Slate, TRD RW Wheels with 33" Cooper ST Maxx (sold)
    2001 Tundra 4x4
    2000 tundra 4x4
    1998 Tacoma
    1997 Tacoma
    1995.5 Tacoma

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=348&dateline=12472564  47

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

use the chaulk method. rub chaulk alond the tire and drive down a few hundred feet, when chaulk is evenly wore out along the tire then you have reached the right tire pressure. its trial and error till you get it right. you will notice that fronts will need more air.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast