What psi do you run in your tires?

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What psi do you run in your tires?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    1 times

Default What psi do you run in your tires?

What psi do you run in your tires? Do you go by the number on the door?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    118 times

Default Re: What psi do you run in your tires?

I can't remember what my current tires run.
    But I run whatever is specified on the tire itself.
    If you buy aftermarket wheels/tires and go to a different size, etc., chances are that specific tire/manufacturer designed their tire to run at a different pressure.
    Particularly if you go up to a 10-ply for towing.
    So, can't really go by what's in the door jamb.

Liked
    4 times
    Images

I always fill to just below the max cold-fill pressure specified on the tire for better fuel economy. It's almost 10 psi higher than what the sticker in the door jamb suggests for P-rated tires. When filled to the lower Toyota recommended pressure the truck feels a bit sloppy and sluggish to me.

E-rated tires will vary much more, like RRzxter touched on. The guys who do a lot of towing can comment on high ply tires.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times
    Images

32 to 35 psi.
    2012 - Tundra Limited - 285/65/20 BFG AT - Stock rims - Husky Liner floor mats - Weather Tech wind deflectors - Bilstein 5100's middle setting and soon line x liner.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

i love ply! 45 to 50 psi for me.

Liked
    118 times

Quote Originally Posted by ccraig View Post
    32 to 35 psi.
    What size tires?
    What load range?
    Conventional or synthetic air?
    Are you running summer air or all-season?

Liked
    305 times
    Images

40 to 45 psi works best for me.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Just a Herbicidal maniac. Herbicidal's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Images

CrewMax - scaled weight of 6,050 lbs with just me and a 1/2 tank of gas. Tires: 285x75x18 Toyo Open Country M/T's: Unloaded 30-32 psi, anything higher starts wearing out the center first. Towing our 26' travel trailer: 40 psi. This is my 3rd set of the Toyo's on two different Tundra's. The lower psi gives me a more even wear pattern. I'm averaging ~50,000 miles per set. The other key to long tire life is to rotate and balance! I have it done every 3,000 miles since it's "free" for me and was included in the price of the tires. Doing it today after work as a matter of fact. Especially important on the larger M/T type of tires.
    RRzxter likes this.

*** 2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 5.7 liter SR5 4x4 with TRD and tow packages. Old Man Emu 3/1 complete lift with Toyo Open Country M/T's - 285x75x18's. Hypertech speedo recalibrator. Ultra Motorsports 18" black rims with silver accents. N-Fab 6-step, wheel to wheel black nerf bars. G-Tek radiator air-dam and door sill protectors. Arma Coatings spray in bedliner and bumpers by On The Road Trucks in Rocklin, CA. De-badged. Black grill surround. RBP black exhaust tip. Air Lift 5000 air bags with WirelessOne remote. Amp Research bed step.
    *** 2008 Flint Mica Yaris aka: Vios 'S' sedan. TRD lowering springs, TRD cold air intake, TRD anti-sway bar for the rear, TRD Sportivo rear shocks and front struts. Tinted windows all the way around, Tanabe front shock tower brace, 17" rims - Samurai SC02 Hyper Black. Megan Racing header.
    *** 2009 Salsa Red Corolla 'S' 5-speed manual.Wife's ride. Back windows tinted, but otherwise stock.
    *** 2003 Silver Corolla 'S'. Daughters ride. Totally stock.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    3 times

I have the stock tires and run the maximum pressure printed on the side wall. The harder the tire the better it rolls. I am not concerned about a cushy ride.

Liked
    2 times

I am running the 10 ply "E"rated tire. I typically keep 50 psi in the tires.

Thanks Ken

Sent from my VS910 4G using AutoGuide.com App
    07 Tundra, 5.7, 4X4, ToyTec 3" level kit with rear add a leafs. Smitty Built Step Bars, Bull Bar, Pro Comp Lights, Rear Seat Mod, Falken 10Ply E Rated Tires Firestone Ride Rite airbags.

Liked
    6 times

I use 30psi up front and 32 in the rear... I think that's what toyota recommends.

How come some of you guys put over 40psi? Isn't that bad for the mpg?

Liked
    9 times
    Images

I have hankook dynapro atms 285-65-18 ..... running 38psi in all right now but have no idea what is best to run them. I dont haul anything usually so any suggestions on what is optimal for my setup?

Liked
    118 times

Quote Originally Posted by ggms16 View Post
    I use 30psi up front and 32 in the rear... I think that's what toyota recommends.

How come some of you guys put over 40psi? Isn't that bad for the mpg?
    Not everyone is using the same tire. Did you read all the posts?

Quote Originally Posted by thechristianbear2001 View Post
    I have hankook dynapro atms 285-65-18 ..... running 38psi in all right now but have no idea what is best to run them. I dont haul anything usually so any suggestions on what is optimal for my setup?
    What does it say on the tires?

Liked
    1 times

I recently intalled Michelin LTX AT2 E-rate 10-ply tires on the factory 20" wheels. I had passenger rated P-Metric equivalents on previously. With ~60K miles, I had excessive shoulder wear and good tread left in the center of the tire. I rotated and balanced frequently. With 32 PSI, I had excessive sidewall flex so I generally ran these tires at 38PSI. With the tread wear pattern, I'm curious why I had shoulder wear that didn't match the tire's center. Give the high PSI, I expected the tire to be more donut shaped and wear in the center more then the shoulder

I'm curious what I should ran these new E-rated tires at. I think I will try 40PSI.

On a related note, these tires really kill the ride quality. With the P-Metrics, my Tundra had almost a car like ride on most road surfaces. The jury is still out on the E-rate equivalents but, they are a much rougher ride though things are smoothing out with a little bit of break in.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 07-08-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: typo
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 with the 5.7L V-8, AFE CAI, Doug Thorley headers, Firestone airbags, and Rancho RS9000XL shocks on the rear

PIAA driving lights in the factory foglight position. N-FAB PreRunner bar with 3 Hella Rallye 4000 EuroBeams with position lights.

Need to add the RanchHand rear bumper and some F-FAB steps to help mom get in my pickup ...

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill?

Liked
    1 times

double post with a slow loading web page.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 07-08-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: double post - website was very slow
    2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 with the 5.7L V-8, AFE CAI, Doug Thorley headers, Firestone airbags, and Rancho RS9000XL shocks on the rear

PIAA driving lights in the factory foglight position. N-FAB PreRunner bar with 3 Hella Rallye 4000 EuroBeams with position lights.

Need to add the RanchHand rear bumper and some F-FAB steps to help mom get in my pickup ...

"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast