Question CARB and gas tanks... what is the connection? - Page 2

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CARB and gas tanks... what is the connection?

Supercharged Member Time4change's Avatar
    Liked
    187 times

Default Re: CARB and gas tanks... what is the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by awesomebase View Post
    Yeah, it is just so damn frustrating!! I can't get a larger gas tank; nor carry a refueling tank or tank/tool-box combo in my bed because it isn't "CARB approved", but I can take 5 rusty old jerry cans filled with gas and strapped via bungee cords to front of my truck bed and nobody would be concerned (except perhaps the passengers). But God forbid that I should have a well-engineered alternative to the manufacturer's own standards that can be used perfectly safe everywhere else! It is just such a bunch of bullsh*t.
    On top of that, it looks like one can be fined $2500 (per day possibly) for knowingly having something like this on your vehicle...
    Common sense continues to be elusive where regulations are concerned... I think CARB has totally lost sight of reality...

I honestly don't know if the fuel tank is part of the visual inspection........I know here in Nevada they look at things like the fuel cap and under the hood etc....

And don't fool yourself regarding gas cans in the back of your truck.......Kommiefornia now requires them to also be CARB compliant!!!

CARB Compliant Gas Jug Fuel Can 5 Gallon Red Tuff Jug | eBay
    '07 Tundra Cmax, '95 T-100POS, '08 RidgeRunner, '08 KTM 300 XCW, (2) Sea Doos, Kubota FEL, '70 Mustang (in pieces)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    216 times

I think they need some CARB-compliant politicians there also, like Pelosi with an air-tight bag over her head for a start.
    "You can lead a smart-ass kid to knowledge, but you can be sure that he'll have to argue with the facts"

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by marvbest View Post
    I think they need some CARB-compliant politicians there also, like Pelosi with an air-tight bag over her head for a start.
    I respect you man, but the quickest way to divide a group is to talk about either a) religion or b) politics. I don't want the conversation to digress into the political sphere because you'll quickly open a big can of worms... ultimately though, I would like to find a solution. I'm also venting a bit, but my concern is with this particular tank; other trucks seem to not have that issue from the same company...
    11 Sienna SE FWD Black!! (Wife's Car)
    07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 S/C 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic...
    Is modding ever complete? I think NOT!!

Liked
    8 times

Quote Originally Posted by marvbest View Post
    I respect you man, but the quickest way to divide a group is to talk about either a) religion or b) politics. I don't want the conversation to digress into the political sphere because you'll quickly open a big can of worms... ultimately though, I would like to find a solution. I'm also venting a bit, but my concern is with this particular tank; other trucks seem to not have that issue from the same company...
    11 Sienna SE FWD Black!! (Wife's Car)
    07 Tundra CrewMax 4x4 S/C 5.7L SR5 Silver Sky Metallic...
    Is modding ever complete? I think NOT!!

Liked
    50 times
    Images

I spoke to Chad at Transfer Flow to get a tank for my tundra but was unsuccessful. He said they have attempted 3 times to get approvals but could make it. Bummer.
    Last edited by Atwalz; 08-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    2007 Tundra V8 5.7L DC 4x4 Ltd, SM/RR. (Mine)
    Completed Mods:
    TAG front wincher and rear multicarrier, Icon Stage 2 coilover, shocks, leaf springs, Camburg UCA 1.5" uniball, 35x12.50x18 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9, 5x150, 12mm offset Velox Ravine Wheels, Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 projectors, Backup Camera and fixed tilt monitor in overhead console, TRD shifter, Debadged, Revtek front differential drop kit, 1/2" spacers for carrier bearing, running board, custom bike fork mounts in bed track rail system, spray-on bedliner, updated rear cab mounts, Relocated differential breather, clear lens LED tail lights, JVC stereo, cargo divider, removed in-take manfold screen, removed HC air filter, Anzo HID off road lights w/3 scion switches, 60" Hi-Lift Jack, and Power Folding tow mirrors.
    Completed DIY Projects: water pump diy.pdf, front axle oil seals repair procedure.pdf, transfer case adapter oil seals, Suspension upgrade: Icon front CO, rear shocks & expansion pack leaf set, Camburg UCA and retrofit Morimoto Mini D2S projectors.
    2013 Toyota Land Cruiser. Black on Black. (Wife)

Liked
    392 times
    Images

Can you not phone one of the testing stations in Cali to see exactly what they would be testing on a vehicle? That may answer many of your questions. I have no clue how that system works but I know I can call any authorized testing facility around here and ask them. Or what about calling transferflow and ask them exactly what about their tanks fails there.
    I agree with Nickbrewer. It probably has to do with venting. I dont think they care who makes the tank, just that it passes. And if they pressure test, via the gas cap, or have some sort of sniffer to detect fuel vapor leaks, that may be the issue.
    2012 Crewmax TRD 5.7, 4x4, 15% tint all around plus sunstrip. Ionic Gladiator running boards. Weathertechs front and rear. Line X, AVS vent visors. Viper 5301 2 way remote start, MBRP S5316304 cat back exhaust. Bakflip Fibermax tonneau cover.
    Traded in my 05 4x4 DC, AFE CAI, Magnaflow Catback15820, Line X bedliner.

Liked
    5 times

While my transferflow tank was being installed right at the factory, I took a tour of their facility. The subject of CARB compliance came up and they gave me a brief explaination of what was all involved and how much it cost. The vehicle with the aftermarket parts installed is placed in an air-tight room with a super sensitive machine that is looking for raw hydrocarbons. I could only imagine how much trying 3 times has cost them. I would also guess that it's not the Transfer flow tank that may be causing the failure. It may be a factory part on the Tundra that is causing the release of hydrocarbons. even if it's not your part that has been the reason for the hydrocarbon release, you still fail. The vehilce and part or parts you provide must pass combined.
    Double cab long box 4x4 5.7 L slate grey . would have bought a limited if available with long box

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12