Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12345611 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass

Liked
    68 times

Do-It-Yourself Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00041.jpg 
Views:	1295 
Size:	579.9 KB 
ID:	194962
    The Original Toyota Secondary Air System Bypass Kit

Visit our new webstore http://hewitt-tech.com

Currently works with the following Toyota and Lexus vehicles:
    Tundra: 2005-2009 4.7L, 2010-2014 4.6L, 2007-2014 5.7L, 2007-2010 4.0L
    Sequoia 2005-2009 4.7L, 2010-2012 4.6L, 2007-2014 5.7L
    4Runners: 2005-2009 4.7L, 2010-2011 2.7L
    Tacoma: 2005-2014 2.7L, 2012-2014 4.0L
    Land Cruiser 2007 4.6L, 2008-2014 5.7L
    GX460/470 2005-2009 4.7L, 2010-2014 4.0L
    LX470/570 2006-2007 4.7L, 2008-2014 5.7L

If you have engine codes P1441, P1442, P1444, P1445, P2440, P2441, P2442, P2443, P2444, P2445, P2446, P2447, this module was designed with you in mind. This module offers a cost effective solution to the failure prone secondary air emissions systems found on these vehicles. If you are not familiar with the system and its failures, a description is included at the bottom of this thread and elsewhere on this forum. In most instances trouble codes and limp mode are caused by failing pumps and valves and the module will be able to bypass the system and allow you to clear the trouble codes.

Please know your trouble codes before ordering. The bypass kit cannot take care of fault codes not listed above. If you have a question about your codes please contact me before ordering or installing for more information. Do not install the bypass kit if you have other engine codes from unrelated systems. The kit will only let you clear applicable codes. Codes like P0412,P0415,P0418,P0419,P1613,P1614 and possibly others cannot be cleared without repairing or replacing the component that is causing the fault code.
    Check back with this thread often for updates or email me with any questions.

Installing exhaust block off plates along with the bypass module is the only way to ensure the system is fully isolated and does not cause any future problems. The module can only prevent codes that are set because of leaking or stuck valves with block off plates installed. Sometimes valve trouble codes can be set by only a bad air pump but it is recommended that plates be installed if any codes for the valves are present. If you want to look at the installation instructions for more info or to get a better idea how to install the module and block off plates just send me an email and I will forward PDF copies for you.

Limited Lifetime Replacement Warranty and Expert Customer service and support!
    Tried and Tested Unparalleled Reliability Designed In. Often Shipped Same Day.

How To Order:

1) If you have any questions about the module or would like to look at the installation instructions before ordering please send an email to me: paul@hewitt-tech.com

2) Go To http://hewitt-tech.com. Select your vehicle and the engine/year from the drop down menu and checkout with a card or paypal.

3) You can also still Purchase Through Ebay
    $155.00 or add additional shipping
    Follow the link: Module Listings On Ebay and select the kit for your vehicle by engine.

Once I have received payment you should receive a shipment confirmation notice from USPS when your order is processed and your shipping label is created.
    This shipment notification should contain your tracking info and give an estimated delivery date.

Module Specs:
    Compact Solid State Electronic Module (no mechanical or moving parts)
    4cm x 4cm x 1.3cm Black Duroplastic High Temp Enclosure
    3M Automotive Double Sided Tape for mounting
    Epoxy Potted for environmental protection
    Simple 5 wire hookup at the MAF/IAT sensor (wire diagram and vehicle wire color included in instructions)
    18" 20awg TXL wire leads for easy connection.
    Illustrated installation instructions
    For off-road or racing use only.
    Assembled by hand in the USA!

Name:	DSC00054.jpg 
Views:	16009 
Size:	399.2 KB 
ID:	91207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00056.jpg 
Views:	10787 
Size:	407.5 KB 
ID:	91208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47L Plates.jpg 
Views:	9740 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	94518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57L Plates.jpg 
Views:	9644 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	94519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130306_151704[1].jpg 
Views:	9713 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	94524Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Instruction Picture.PNG 
Views:	10376 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	94520
    Just a few samples of my EBAY feedbacks, check out hundreds more here:Ebay Feedback
    Excellent Item!!! Exceeds my expectations and is well worth every penny!!! Buyer: Member id rip662
    Awesome product. So simple to install and it works wonderfully. Buyer: Member id gwds69
    Worked PERFECT!! Easy install. Thanks a million. (Or $2000 - $3000 saved) Buyer: Member id speedjunkie99
    Absolutely amazing, fault code gone and passed emmissions. It's a great fix! Buyer: Member id jmckelveyjr
    Exactly As Described! Great Price! Fast Shipping! Thanks! Buyer: Member id carsivservice

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish22 View Post
    Hey everyone i purchased a module from pxsp and it works perfectly. The of it was way better than replacing the pump and a whole bunch easier. It's been on my truck for over a week now and have had no problems. If you have this problem with your truck you should definitely consider buying one from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by GLKDVM View Post
    My module came yesterday and installed it today. Worked perfectly - no code, no pump sound at first start up after setting for 24 hours. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bees Wees View Post
    I installed my module this morning. It was so friking easy to do. Can't get easier then that pxsp Thanks. I’ll let you guys know how it works in 1 or 2 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kazakhy View Post
    Over all, no surprises, and easy install.
    I have put hundreds of miles on the truck and the CEL has stayed off. Saved $3100, plus I got a new scanner for future diagnosis . COULD NOT BE MORE PLEASED!!!!!

SAS Failure:

If you are not familiar with the Air Induction Pump Or Secondary Exhaust Valve problems on the Gen. 1a and Gen. 2 Tundras consider yourself lucky.
    Although Toyota extended the warranty on the 2nd Gen tundras to cover replacement or repair of the system plenty of us have been shafted and stuck with only 2 options to remedy the problem: pay several thousand dollars to replace/repair the AIP secondary emission system or go to lengths to bypass and eliminate the system all together. The AIP system simply pumps air into the exhaust on startup to help get the catalytic converters up to operating temperature faster and thus improve emissions. It does not have any affect on performance unless the system fails. Two modes of failure are common. The air induction pump fails or the exhaust valves get stuck open or closed. I encountered a pump failure on my 05' Tundra DC XSP a couple of months ago, since it is not covered by warranty and the quote I received from my Toyota dealer was $3400 to replace the system I began working on an engineered solution to disable or bypass the system. Disconnecting the pump will disable the system but cause its own engine code. If your exhaust valves are stuck or leaking you will also need to install exhaust block off plates to prevent exhaust from flowing back into the system and causing "limp mode" even if the system is bypassed.
    Last edited by pxsp; 09-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.
    Hewitt Tech Inc Webstore Home of the Original SAIS Bypass Kit

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    68 times

Default Re: Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass

Here are the installation pictures on my 05 Tundra XSP Double Cab. Detailed instructions will be included with the module.

Name:	DSC00003.jpg 
Views:	15039 
Size:	592.7 KB 
ID:	90032MAF/IAT Sensor on top of airbox

Name:	DSC00002.jpg 
Views:	14807 
Size:	653.4 KB 
ID:	90033Location to be installed.

Name:	DSC00013.jpg 
Views:	11209 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	90034Disconnect sensor and harness clip.

Name:	DSC00016.jpg 
Views:	10877 
Size:	475.4 KB 
ID:	90035Split wire loom

Name:	DSC00017.jpg 
Views:	10895 
Size:	543.8 KB 
ID:	90036Remove wiring.

Name:	DSC00022.jpg 
Views:	13253 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	90037Mount module (looks crooked but I assure you it is level) and mock up wiring.

Name:	DSC00028.jpg 
Views:	11183 
Size:	464.3 KB 
ID:	90083Soldering your connections is always the best and least bulky method.

Name:	DSC00033.jpg 
Views:	10593 
Size:	451.2 KB 
ID:	90038Make proper connections according to instructions or vehicle pinout.

Name:	DSC00034.jpg 
Views:	12168 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	90039Verify operation, insulate connections, candy stripe wires, close loom.

Name:	DSC00042.jpg 
Views:	11449 
Size:	544.3 KB 
ID:	90040Clean up harness to look like a factory install.

Name:	DSC00043.jpg 
Views:	10425 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	90031Finished.

Name:	DSC00044.jpg 
Views:	14451 
Size:	551.9 KB 
ID:	90041Clean install...
    Install block off plates, reset engine codes and start engine... AIP problem solved!
    Typical install will probably take 1-2hrs including installing the starter relay wire and block off plates. The starter relay wire must also be connected to the starter relay by routing a 18-22AWG through the engine compartment to the bypass module.

Bypassing the system with the module will allow it to pass an emissions test. Most States will check the ODBII Monitors (emission system tests) for the vehicle. These monitors are are used to determine if all of the systems are operating properly. The bypassed Secondary Air System passes its monitor without any problems. The screenshot below is of the ODBII Monitors report for my 05 Tundra after a cold start-up (55 deg. F) and the bypass module installed. The Secondary Air System (Air Induction System) shows that it has completed and is functioning properly.

Name:	Monitor Report.jpg 
Views:	12146 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	90681
    Once the drive cycle to test the EGR and 02 Sensor Heater are completed the truck should be ready for emissions test. As long as you have no other problems than a faulty AIP system the vehicle should pass an emissions test.

Emissions:
    Emission standards are different for each state so please consult your state laws. Most states will not pass your vehicle if there is a check engine light, if your SAS iscausing a CEL or your vehicle is in "limp mode" you will not pass emissions.
    Because it is against federal law to disable any vehicle emissions control systems or to cause to be inoperable these modules are sold for off-road use only.
    The Customer shall hold harmless the Seller for any claim of damages, loss, injury, cost, expense or legal complications that may arise from the purchase, use and or installation of the SAS Bypass Module
    Last edited by pxsp; 01-11-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times
    Images

nice, and needfull while the cost of the induction pump is so expensive,

thanks for the thread

Liked
    68 times

Cross Posted from the old thread.

Quote Originally Posted by texasranger96 View Post
    So with this module can we take the AIP crap completely off the truck?
    The short answer is not really.

The bypass module only prevents the operation of the system and thus any codes that are generated from its faulty operation. Disconnection of the pump will prevent the system from operating but it will also cause its own fault code. Theoretically speaking, if you still want to completely remove the system you would have to replace the pump, vacuum valves and exhaust valves with equivalent power resistors to trick the computer into thinking that they are still connected. You still have to have the bypass module to do this because of the way the system checks for proper operation using pressure sensors.

Because getting at the valves and pump involve removing the intake manifold I do not recommend removing them at all. What I would suggest is simply removing the air tubes that connect the exhaust valves to the exhaust manifold and using block off plates to prevent any problems that may arise from the valves being stuck open. By using the block off plates and bypass module you will have effectively removed the entire system and problems caused by its operation or lack thereof.
    Last edited by pxsp; 09-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Liked
    2978 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aharbi4 View Post
    nice, and needfull while the cost of the induction pump is so expensive,

thanks for the thread
    Just to clarify, the pumps themselves can be replaced by an aftermarket GM part for about $25. It's the labor charge that the dealers are ass-raping everyone with.
    rivercall and ROAD__DOG like this.
    2002 Tundra V8 SR5 2WD AC
    1C7-Thunder Gray Metallic | Bilstein 5100s | Wheeler's Progressive 3-leaf AAL w/ OL Leaf
    LT265/75R16D1 Nitto Terra Grapplers | Wheeler's Poly Sway Bar Bushing/Bump Stop Set
    eBay T304 SS Headers | Percy's #66080 Header Gaskets | Remflex #8015 Collector Gaskets
    13WL Caliper Upgrade | Hawk Quiet Slot Rotors | Hawk LTS Brake Pads
    Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 | Mobil 1 Syn ATF | Mobil 1 Syn 75W-90 Gear Oil | Magnefine ATF Filter 3/8"

Denso #K20R-U Plugs | Russell Speed Bleeders #639570 (7mm)
    Ham Radio: KJ6OPA | CB Radio/Handle: Midland 75-822/"Marksman"
    * * * O2 Sensor Replacement DIY * * *

"I came into this world covered in someone else's blood and screaming...I'm not afraid to leave it in the same way."

Liked
    68 times

While it is true you can buy an old GM AIP from a junk yard for $25 and maybe make it work; that is not the focus of this thread. If you have replaced your Toyota AIP with a GM sourced part I would love to read about it in another thread. To me installing a $25 cash for clunkers part is asking for more trouble than just bypassing and eliminating the system. Remember, the AIP is not the only problem people are having with this system.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I've spent the last several days looking into the repair/replace option and the best i can tell the repair is in the neighborhood of $2000.00 and up.* Labor is not too bad but the parts cost is a bit extreme, $1251.61 for Air Pump from the dealer.* I did notice people saying that a GM air pump will replace the Toyota's, but from what I've been able to find it's for the 07' and newer Tundras. Unless someone has a GM part# that will replace Toyota's part# 17600-0F010 this is looking like a very good option, so sign me up. PM sent

Liked
    144 times

Quote Originally Posted by breezefla View Post
    I've spent the last several days looking into the repair/replace option and the best i can tell the repair is in the neighborhood of $2000.00 and up.* Labor is not too bad but the parts cost is a bit extreme, $1251.61 for Air Pump from the dealer.* I did notice people saying that a GM air pump will replace the Toyota's, but from what I've been able to find it's for the 07' and newer Tundras. Unless someone has a GM part# that will replace Toyota's part# 17600-0F010 this is looking like a very good option, so sign me up. PM sent
    Here are the last three pages from the AIP Bypass pdf. It has part numbers. You most likely will not find a direct, 100% plug-in replacement because you can expect the connector to be different, and the connector from your old pump will need to be spliced on. Other than the connector, the pumps are identical.

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by StevJ; 09-18-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: dang spellin errers
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies We can't multiply, we're adders so Noah builds them a log table.

pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    68 times

For those of you have contacted me about buying a module, thank you
    Last edited by pxsp; 11-05-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Lurking Member
    Liked
    2 times

Hi guys,
    I just bought a 06 and was thinking about buying some headers when I noticed the price difference between the 00-04 and 05-06 headers and then I noticed the air injection. Then I ran across StevJ's mod. Now I was thinking if I disable the AIP is there any reason I couldn't run the older headers without the plumbing?
    escondidotundra likes this.

Liked
    155 times
    Images

I had this problem with my 05 TRD AC almost two years ago. My truck sounded like a friggin' vacuum cleaner when it started cold. Then the pump quit working completely and threw my truck into limp mode. I think it's stupid that this part costs as much as it does, and that it throws the vehicle into limp mode. It only runs for about 30 seconds max, so why the need for limp mode? I quickly got used to letting the engine warm up, turning it off, and disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset the ECU every morning before school. Anyway, my dad and I ended up complaining to Toyota USA corporate and they paid for the part and half the labor. We got away paying a little over $800. Still sucks.

If this had been available then, I sure would have purchased one.

Sent from my Xoom using AutoGuide.Com Free App
    Last edited by StephenC; 09-23-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    escondidotundra likes this.
    2005 Tundra SR5 TRD Access Cab (Gone, but not forgotten) Sold with 119,426 miles

2003 BMW 530i Alpine White (5-speed manual)

M5 rear spoiler|M Sport Front Bumper|17" BBS RK Wheels (8.5" front, 10" rear)|Eibach front and rear anti-sway bars|Solowerks S1 Coilovers|Muffler Delete Mod|ZHP Shift Knob|M Sport Steering Wheel Swap

Liked
    320 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StephenC View Post
    Then the pump quit working complete and threw my truck into limp mode. I think it's stupid that this part costs as much as it does, and that it throws the vehicle into limp mode. It only runs for about 30 seconds max, so why the need for limp mode?
    Actually a pump failure will not cause limp mode but it will cause a CEL. What causes limp mode is a "valve stuck open" failure.
    The reasoning behind limp mode is that hot exhaust gasses can get past a stuck open valve into the rubber tubing that leads to the pump which will cause damage to the hose and pump and possibly an engine compartment fire.
    Nickcan likes this.
    07' SR5 DC 4x4, 5.7, TRD
    Toyota SS steps
    ARE MX cap
    AMP bed step

DIY underseat storage
    Weathertech Floor Liners
    Weathertech Vent Visors
    Ultragauge EM
    Cooper Discoverer AT3's
    Techstream

CBTMA member
    aip override 1.1.pdf
    Block Off Plate

Liked
    68 times

I agree and just to make sure you are not leaking exhaust back through the system you should block off the exhaust ports on the manifolds. So if I am making the bypass module who is machining block off plates? I would trade a module for a nice machined set of stainless block off plates with exhaust gaskets and hardware.
    escondidotundra and jgbuzz like this.

Liked
    144 times

Quote Originally Posted by pxsp View Post
    I agree and just to make sure you are not leaking exhaust back through the system you should block off the exhaust ports on the manifolds. So if I am making the bypass module who is machining block off plates? I would trade a module for a nice machined set of stainless block off plates with exhaust gaskets and hardware.
    In Mendonsy's and in my sig you'll find links to the blockoff plate drawings and measurements. I think most folks are just whittling them out of a small sheet of stainless.

See the pic for an example (my first failed attempt)
    http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...off-plates.jpg

Steve
    Last edited by StevJ; 09-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
    1. Common sense is a curse in disguise, because if you have it, you have to live with those who do not.
    2. Everything will work exactly as expected, unless your expectations are incorrect.
    3. When Noah sends his animals to go forth and multiply, a pair of snakes replies We can't multiply, we're adders so Noah builds them a log table.

pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo sɹǝpuoʍ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝuo sı ǝpoɔıun ʞuıɥʇ ı

Compassionate misanthropy: loving mankind selectively.

DIY AIP BYPASS <--
    Block-Off Plate Drawings<--

Liked
    68 times

Yeah, I assumed as much. The problem is I currently live 2 hours away from my garage/shop and all my fab. stuff is there. Otherwise, I would have already machined out a set.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 11-12-2014, 07:27 PM
  2. 10-05-2014, 02:53 PM
  3. 09-14-2014, 02:50 AM
  4. 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
  5. 08-16-2014, 10:34 PM
  6. 08-14-2014, 09:36 AM
  7. 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
  8. 07-21-2014, 09:48 AM
  9. 07-20-2014, 10:01 AM
  10. 07-17-2014, 10:23 PM
  11. 06-05-2014, 01:49 AM