Tundra electric cooling fan kit available!

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tundra electric cooling fan kit available!

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Default Tundra electric cooling fan kit available!

Hey what's going on guys, I havn't posted here in a while. Any way I have spent a couple months on R&D for the 07 and up cooling fan kit, I currently have the kit installed on my 2012 Tundra and is working flawless, what I am currently using on the truck is two 16" 2450 spal high amperage fans with the equivelent of almost 5000cfm, mounted on an aluminum adapter plate, the controls are two spal high amperage water proof relay harnesses controlled by the Dakota digital fan controller with a temp sensor in upper radiator hose all water proof connections. These fans are made in Italy and are more reliable than others and are OEM grade and supplied to high end car maufacturers.

The kit that I will be selling is either the plate with the fans only for $385 and the complete kit with everything for $550 to bolt in just a few wires to hook up, the polished diamond plate would be a little more and this does not include shipping.

Tundra cooling fan possibilities! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Fan only kit includes,

2 Spal 16" 2450 cfm fans
    1 mounting plate
    Mounting hardaware
    All preassembled ready for install

Fan complete kit includes,

2 Spal 16" 2450 cfm fans
    1 mounting plate
    1 Mounting hardaware kit
    1 Deraledual fan controller
    1 radiator hose sensor adaptor
    1 Sienna coolant tank
    All preassembled ready for install

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Default Re: Tundra electric cooling fan kit available!

Last edited by texasranger96; 09-23-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    Hippo likes this.

Liked
    8 times

Very nice. Any chance you have access to a dyno and could post up some numbers?

Liked
    3 times

That's a serious mounting plate! Only problem is it appears to block about 40% of the rad area. How about adding some flaps to that blocked area so air can flow at speed?

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Man in regards to the 40% radiator blockage you should see the stock radiator shroud while it is out it pretty much sets right up against the radiator as well and my fans probably flow twice as much at 5000cfm not to mention it runs smoother, quieter, more throttle response, better mpg, and you can set it up to do what ever you want, like leave it running for better idle air temps (iat) for the supercharger inner cooler. As far as Dino numbers I live pretty much out in BFE MO. Another thing that I should note it is way more cleaner under the hood, more room to change belts and work on front of engine without having to drain coolant to pull upper hose and stock shroud for pulley changes and what ever else each fan can be pulled off individually if need be.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    33 times

I just came back from Toyota plant and saw the fan shroud in person sitting outside. The stock shroud only sits against the radiator at the edges. It curves out around the fan directing air through the middle hole where the stock clutch fan is. In other words, all air from any fin of the radiator can freely flow through.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

You have to ounderstand the amount of room there is under between the raiator and the engine it is just simply not possible if you mount them in a box you are achieving nothing. I actually have a degree in air conditioning I spent alot of time on this, the fans probably flow twice as much as the stock one, I have #1 set at 195 and #2 set at 205 the second one has never came on since the install the first one hardly ever comes on so I know it is working. Besides the Dakota digital says what temp it is and it has never overheated, the stock one is very thin with a slight bend I am certain this works with no issues. Oh and the plate is not directly on the radiator it sets off from it about an inch to build a better shroud I would need to move lower raiator hose and the fans would be like an inch away from the engine, and the price would go way up I am already making virtually nothing.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/QgquJJ6PN8o
    Last edited by texasranger96; 09-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Liked
    3 times

I converted a 2002 Dodge Dakota and also a late 90's Ford Explorer to electric cooling fans and realistically the only thing that I noticed was a lighter wallet. Neither vehicle felt as if it ran better or had any more power and gas mileage on both vehicles was not affected at all. I'm not saying that this would be the case with the Tundra but I'm skeptical of any real benefits that this would provide. I can appreciate the work you have put into this though.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Well thing that actually like most on my truck is it is not loud now and the throttle response, and I can totally understand how you would not get any more power out of dodges and fords as they will always be doggy.

Veteran Member
    Liked
    155 times
    Images

i like your work!! if you would make the backing plate out of cheaper sheet metal, add some one way flapper valve plates for freeway speeds, and drop the price a little. i would be all in! i might just bite at what is available now, but i would like to see some more reviews first at that price.

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deviltundra View Post
    i like your work!! if you would make the backing plate out of cheaper sheet metal, add some one way flapper valve plates for freeway speeds, and drop the price a little. i would be all in! i might just bite at what is available now, but i would like to see some more reviews first at that price.
    I actually made an adapter plate out of 1/8" and did not give the warm fuzzy feeling not rigid enough, I wouldn't put it on my truck, the spal fans I am using one of the best spal produces and usually goes for $150 a piece the controller I will be using is usually about $150, the plate my cost is $70 and the tank I am using is $40, and that doesn't even include the wiring and hardware. Do the math,I refuse to build junk especially for one the most reliable trucks built the Tundra, I guess it kinda reminds when I read how Toyota was selling the GM Cavalier in Japan under the Toyota Cavalier, the car was such a piece of crap that the Japanese government actually fined them for discracing the Japanese auto manufacturers.
    cisa93 likes this.

Liked
    0 times
    Images

So if your fans are rarely on, especially when driving and towing, then how does it keep air flowing through the transmission cooler? I had the flexalite fans on my last tundra and the transmission overheated and failed. Air passing through the radiator while driving kept the engine cool enough to keep the fans off but not cool enough to for the transmission cooler.
    My 1st gen tundra did not have a transmission temp gauge inside like the 2nd gen does though.
    2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4WD TRD 5.7L V8

Liked
    0 times
    Images

I'm curious if this will cool enough for a supercharged truck.

I had an electric fan on my 98 Tacoma and loved it- it actually gained about 1-1.5mpg, and didn't sound like a .. well, 'truck' anymore I didn't dyno it, but the motor felt like it revved up quicker.

BUT- my other experience was with a 99 Wrangler 4.0L. I tried several fan setups, from custom single fans to the dual fan kit. They ALL overheated. It was a damn shame too, the Jeep actually felt much nicer without the fan, that engine didn't make th emost power, so it was definitely noticeable.

It takes a pretty damn strong electric fan to out-pull the stock clutch driven unit. The engine driven fans pull a TON of air.

-Dave

Liked
    61 times
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by t&ctundra View Post
    So if your fans are rarely on, especially when driving and towing, then how does it keep air flowing through the transmission cooler? I had the flexalite fans on my last tundra and the transmission overheated and failed. Air passing through the radiator while driving kept the engine cool enough to keep the fans off but not cool enough to for the transmission cooler.
    My 1st gen tundra did not have a transmission temp gauge inside like the 2nd gen does though.
    I did not say the fans are rarely on I said the second one hardley comes on, my 2012 tundra has the tow package so it does have the trans temp gauge, and never overheated yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.