How to install a Rearsight Camera with Photos - Page 4

1. Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums – General discussion forum for Toyota Trucks

Welcome to Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums - a website dedicated to all things Toyota Tundra.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forums today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How to install a Rearsight Camera with Photos

Liked
    3 times

Default Re: How to install a Rearsight Camera with Photos

Here's a pic of the screen clarityClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	399.7 KB 
ID:	91577

2. Remove Advertisements
    Toyota Tundra Forum
    Advertisements

Liked
    61 times

That seems amazingly adequate. I woul be tilting my camera down a bit to see the ball hitch. I back up to a camper on a regular basis. Thanks for the pic!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Liked
    3 times

Tilting the camera is key to this working great, I used super glue to hold it while I checked the tilt. I wished I made it a little lower.
    I would have to grind off the epoxy to change the angle.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Great Thread and info. I just bought 2011 CrewMax and tow toy haulers. No Camera on my "base truck"....So I looked around and I don't want to be a spoiled sport or nut, but PepBoys and many other retailers sell GPS systems with a BACK UP CAMERA, which requires little or NO Installation. ""Some are Magnetic"" or movable... So I can possibly angle the camera at the Ball when connecting, or at the REAR of the Trailer when BACKING. Can some one tell me which would be better - movable and wireless and can change to another vehicle at will or permanent install on this thread -- Just asking --- price is about the same, and you get a GPS!-Larry {:>o}

GOOGLE shows 4.9mm hits on "gps with backup camera" Google

PEAK's 4.3" Back up Camera and GPS monitor is easy to view and easy to install. Clear turn by turn voice prompt. Automatic recalculation makes for error free driving. Multiple routing selections like shortest distance, shortest time, no toll roads built-in. Touch screen with 6 LED backlight. Upgradeable mapping via PEAK and NAVTEQ website. Wireless back up camera function built-in activates when vehicle is put in reverse. Kit includes waterproof camera that easily mounts to the rear license plat and gives you 110 degree viewing angle. Protect people and property from rollover accidents.
    Product Features:
    •4.3" Monitor
    •Accessory outlet plug
    •Speaker and headphone jacks
    •Waterproof camera
    •Transmitter
    •Install hardware included

GPS Backup Camera, Wireless Backup Camera RV truck, Pan & Tilt handheld monitor, Pan & Tilt IP Network Camera, Dancing Daisy baby monitor, usb wireless video camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tundra-2011.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	91696  

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

The white plug by the spare tire has four wires. Does anyone know which wires are the reverse switch wires; i.e. power when truck is shifted into reverse? I have a gps with a wireless back-up camera I'm trying to install and would like to pull power from this spot instead of tapping into reverse light circuit of the tailight assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
    I sent a text to my Toyota mechanic buddy asking about how to tell if your truck is pre-wired for a back up cam or not. He said look under the rear bumper, right hand side, near the spare tire. If there is a capped plug there, it's pre-wired. Mine is. See pic (click it to make it big):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	772.8 KB 
ID:	91425

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 2011 Crewmax and received a Rearsight back up camera for Christmas. It is the prewired version. The camera install went well. The monitor install was another matter. The 12 pin plug connection it refers to in the instructions was missing. I called Sparks Toyota for clarification. They stated the plug had been used to actuate the auto-dim/home link mirror. Does anyone know of a wiring work around to allow both to work?

Lurking Member
    Liked
    6 times

Will this kit work with a 2013? Or is there a voltage supply problem at the headliner wiring? What's the simplest kit for a 2013 with Tow package?

Liked
    61 times

As far as I know there are no kits for the 12-13 models, as they have 6v in the headliner, everything else in the auto world is 12v. I think sparks is working on one though. Might help to send them an email and find out directly from them. That said, I don't see why you can't just run your own power for a 12v version, it will be a bit more work, and won't be plug and play, but it willget the job done if you are willing to do a little wiring work.

As for the plug inthe headliner, yes, there is only one plug inthe headliner and all the video and power wires are in that plug. If you have the homelink mirror and no monitor in the mirror, I think you are SOL for the sparks kit. Unless again, you feel like doing a little splicing, somehow suss out what wires are what in the mirror plug, you might take a good look at the mirror connector and see what pins are missing compared to the white plug, that might give you an idea of which is the video feed and the power trigger for the monitor. I might take a look at that as well. I just installed the Gentex home link/monitor mirror in my 2011 along with the factory camera, it was all pug n play, done in 10 minutes. But, I'd like to put in a push button in the dash somewhere so I can trigger the camera while driving, just to peek at my trailer or the idiot tailgating me .

If you are up to a little troubleshooting you can probably get something to work. If not, wait for someone to create a kit for your vehicle, or honestly you might look into one of the double din radio replacements that you can plug a backup camera into. Might be cheaper than factory stuff
    Its more fun to ride a slow motorcycle fast than a fast motorcycle slow.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Installed this unit from Sparks. Before drilling tail gate wanted to make sure it worked. It didn't! So started checking things
    Checked for 12V at the monitor and at the camera - good
    Checked ground - good
    Checked wiring between the 2 - good
    Checked for shorts to ground and continuity - good.
    Figure the monitor should at least light up if it was working but get nothing, not a faint glow.
    Emailed Sparks last reply was "The only thing that I can think of is that the camera has a reverse override, so unless it is in reverse,
    the camera won't turn on and the monitor won't show anything either."
    Well I pondered this awhile, just a retired Acft. Mech., didn't make sense but I bit and went down and fired up the truck and put in reverse.
    It still didn't work! Any thoughts???? I really don't want to take it all out to send back.....
    Thanks in advance.

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Good evening rooksroost,

This is Bill (customer service and web media supervisor at Rostra) and I just wanted to stop in and share the system wiring photograph that I believe our friends at Sparks passed along to you the other day. Can you confirm for me that you don't have any wiring from the truck connected to the white rectangular plug coming off of the back of the monitor in the photo below? Likewise, can you share any pictures of the individual connections you've made on this kit? I'll be glad to help further if I can get a better visual.

Thanks in advance for the extra info!

Bill Simmons
    Customer Service and Web Media Supervisor
    Rostra Precision Controls, Inc.
    2519 Dana Dr.
    Laurinburg, NC 28327
    wsimmons@rostra.com
    Aftermarket Cruise Control, Daytime Running Lights and Hands-free Bluetooth by Rostra
    [COLOR=rgb(20.392160%, 20.392160%, 20.392160%)]Rostra Precision Controls, Inc. - 2519 Dana Dr. - Laurinburg, NC 28352 - 800-782-3379 - rostra.com [/COLOR]

Rookie
    Liked
    0 times

Well have I got a story! Not all Tundras are created equal.
    Order my BU camera kit for a my Christmas present, it was BO.
    But Sparks sent it right after the new year and I dove right in.
    Wanting to see it work before drilling for the camera turned it on and nothing!
    I went back as previously posted and checked everything.
    Got in touch who got me in touch Rostra which just happened to be Bill Simons above.
    I took pictures of meter readings, wires until I was blue.
    Bill's crew finally saw that I didn't have 12 volts but .12!
    Thats what happens when a retired AF knuckle dragger starts using sophisticated equipment that spark chasers used!
    Well it came down to that my blue wire did not have 12 volts. It did work with the brake but only .12.
    So Friday Bill leaves me with finding 12 volts that works with reverse.
    I checked every wire under both kick panels lots of wires with 12 volts but none that worked off reverse.
    Finally went above the center console, again, and checked the white plug for the plug and play version and found a wire that worked with reverse.
    Made a short jumper and I have a pic.!
    Mount the camera in the am.............

Liked
    1 times

Folks, I tried the links to sparks and don't see this camera kit listed any further. Am I missing something?

I'm looking to install into my 2010 Tundra Crewmax I just purchased.
    designsbydustin likes this.
    2010 Tundra Crewmax Limited

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
  2. 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM
  3. 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM
  4. 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM
  5. 11-13-2012, 02:39 AM